Trailer Brake Module Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Just picked up my new (to me) camping trailer tonight. The trailer has built in brakes and I know I need the control module that mounts to the bottom of the dash. Did the LX come with a trailer brake wiring harness? The guy I bought it from had been towing it with a 2011 Tacoma that had the wiring harness installed from the factory and he thought there was good chance I would just need the actual module and pig tail to plug it in. No need to run any wires to the back. Is that correct? I have the factory tow package/7pin plug and all the lights work correctly. I just want to know what I need to make the trailer brakes work.

I just got my controller hooked up yesterday on my 04 LC. The prewired plug was right above the vent below the steering wheel. I have seen threads on here about removing panels in order to access it, but i was able to locate it by feeling around under there and was able to plug in with no problem.

I just got my controller hooked up yesterday on my 04 LC. The prewired plug was right above the vent below the steering wheel. I have seen threads on here about removing panels in order to access it, but i was able to locate it by feeling around under there and was able to plug in with no problem.
thanks for the info. What controller did you order? Did you need to get any pigtail/adapter of any kind?

thanks for the info. What controller did you order? Did you need to get any pigtail/adapter of any kind?
I have the prodigy. Originally used it on a 2005 tundra, 2010 tundra, and works with the adapter on the LC. If i remember right, the 05 tundra came with the pig tail and i spliced the wires to connect to the prodigy adapter.

I have the prodigy. Originally used it on a 2005 tundra, 2010 tundra, and works with the adapter on the LC. If i remember right, the 05 tundra came with the pig tail and i spliced the wires to connect to the prodigy adapter.
I just ordered a Curt Controller with the Curt wire harness/adapter that says it fits the LX470. I will find out when it gets here. Was $50 for both things on Amazon. I was thinking they would be a lot more than that. There were a bunch of models a lot less but I know Curt is a big brand and a few of the brands I have never heard of.

My 03 LC has it, so I would expect your 03 LX to as well assuming you have the factory 7 pin plug under the rear bumper.

Curt makes a couple types of controllers. The smoothest and most effective trailer control comes from proportional controllers. I have the Tekonsha P3 and really like it. Plug and play and very easy to adjust and mount.

Thanks for the info guys.

So the Curt controller and adapter plug showed up. I just went out to plug it in and the only open plug I see under the dash by the steering wheel does not come close to matching up with the plug I have. What is the plug under the dash I'm holding? If that is not the trailer brake cable/plug then where is it located? Take a look at the plug/adapter that was shipped to me. Is that the wrong plug?

Here's the plug under the dash

This is the adapter plug that Curt told me was correct for my 03 LX470.

Thanks for that thread. That was exactly what I needed. The thread was super informative. I was able to track down the correct plug in a few seconds. Not sure why the guy said you have to remove dash pieces. I reached up in there and felt around until I found the plug. I then pulled it out enough so I could see the actual plug then just plugged the brake controller into it. It was super tight but there was enough room to plug it in without removing anything. Now I just need to zip tie it all up and mount the controller. Thanks again for the help.

Reviving this old thread for clarification to install a newly ordered Tekonsha brake controller. I found two empty plugs hanging under the steering wheel dash, not 100% which is the breaker controller and what the other loose clip is.

Here is the plug I think is for the brake controller, more square in shape:
7650CEBE-27C7-4699-A4A5-8CFA77216E91.jpeg

Here is another loose, empty plug hanging under the dash, which was closer to the OBD port and center console:

3485F4CE-1873-40A6-B0D3-289A15CE259A.jpeg

Reviving this old thread for clarification to install a newly ordered Tekonsha brake controller. I found two empty plugs hanging under the steering wheel dash, not 100% which is the breaker controller and what the other loose clip is.

Here is the plug I think is for the brake controller, more square in shape:
View attachment 2339650

Here is another loose, empty plug hanging under the dash, which was closer to the OBD port and center console:

View attachment 2339652
My Tekonsha P3 and wiring harness finally arrived and I plugged it in--it was neither of the two empty plugs from my previous post. I'm guessing those may be from the disabled AHC system. I'm still trying to figure out how/where I want to put the ground wire and where I will actually mount the Tekonsha P3 unit. I'd like to put it in the ashtray but it seems from some threads that I may need to get a special adapter for that 3D printed. Thoughts on mounting from anyone using the Tekonsha P3?

Most places I have seen them mounted is on the knee panel that covers the underside of the steering wheel/dash. There are a few that have mounted them in the Ashtray and I know I have seen one or two small vendors on here that have a piece for that area.

Personally, I am omitting the hardwired brake controller when I do it. The new Curt Echo is a bluetooth wireless one that goes into the 7-pin plug and works via an app. No need to have something permanently mounted inside the cab, especially in my case where towing will be a handful of times a year if that.

Most places I have seen them mounted is on the knee panel that covers the underside of the steering wheel/dash. There are a few that have mounted them in the Ashtray and I know I have seen one or two small vendors on here that have a piece for that area.

Personally, I am omitting the hardwired brake controller when I do it. The new Curt Echo is a bluetooth wireless one that goes into the 7-pin plug and works via an app. No need to have something permanently mounted inside the cab, especially in my case where towing will be a handful of times a year if that.
Man, a bluetooth connection sounds nice. Since I already have the Tekonsha P3, I think I will just try to avoid any drilling and use the heavy duty velcro by the knee (if possible). I'd prefer not to drill in visible places.

Man, a bluetooth connection sounds nice. Since I already have the Tekonsha P3, I think I will just try to avoid any drilling and use the heavy duty velcro by the knee (if possible). I'd prefer not to drill in visible places.
I just looked up the Curt Echo--pretty slick that it plugs into the 7-pin and the trailer controls then plug into it. For a long haul trip, I'd like to not have my phone tied up with the brake controller, though, so I can access maps and other apps and still have quick access to the brake controller. I guess I'd have to use it in real life to see, but looks like a pretty neat option.

I just looked up the Curt Echo--pretty slick that it plugs into the 7-pin and the trailer controls then plug into it. For a long haul trip, I'd like to not have my phone tied up with the brake controller, though, so I can access maps and other apps and still have quick access to the brake controller. I guess I'd have to use it in real life to see, but looks like a pretty neat option.
So that was one of the benefits I had when talking with some of the guys at eTrailer about the Echo.. Basically you DONT have to have your phone running with the app all the time. It will take the "last known setting" and run off that when the app is not in use but the controller is "active". I confirmed this with Curt, so you can basically get everything running and then get on the road and kill the app (or get out of it) and it will run the "program" based on what was last being used.

I got an Echo for my many trailering functions. I believe the pre-sets and ease of transitioning from vehicle to vehicle and trailer to trailer won out. I almost went with the REDARC Elite v3 for their cool application... Tow-Pro Elite V3 Electric Brake Controller

Last edited:
Here is a great system for brake controller adaptability. It's a little pricey but man is it sweet...

Yup that is the one we are talking about. Seems like an awesome system, double the price of normal "good" brake controller but not having to have something PERMANENTLY (for the most part) mounted is awesome. My headunit is bluetooth and android so may see if the unit can download the app and then control via the headunit instead of phone.

I bought the P3 but havent installed it yet. I do like the manual control lever, but I feel like it might be something you never really use. Anyone find that to be super functional?

I really like this echo idea. Only trade-off in my mind is the easy access to the manual control, but if it's really not that useful of a feature, then I wouldn't mind. I think in my head it makes sense to have the manual control just for really steep off road descents, but in that case it's not a huge deal to pull up the app for those rare occasions. I'm unsure if the manual control is really useful in any other scenario.

Any thoughts? I love the idea of not drilling into my interior panels. That's really the only reason I havent installed it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom