Trail ride thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm definitely not the expert, but I'll chip in my 2 cents. We generally run Baofeng UV5R or BF-F8HP. These are some cheap chineseum deals that communicate in GMRS and HAM frequencies. Their drawback is limited range due to being handhelds, even when on high power. For truck use, Midland makes a few good, compact dash mount GMRS units that transmit clearly and much farther - in Colorado we were hearing clearly from one guy on the other side of the pass...I was impressed.

I'm definitely not the expert, but I'll chip in my 2 cents. We generally run Baofeng UV5R or BF-F8HP. These are some cheap chineseum deals that communicate in GMRS and HAM frequencies. Their drawback is limited range due to being handhelds, even when on high power. For truck use, Midland makes a few good, compact dash mount GMRS units that transmit clearly and much farther - in Colorado we were hearing clearly from one guy on the other side of the pass...I was impressed.

This may be a future upgrade for me. We do have trouble transmitting from 1 side of HPO to the other.

So my dad and I have been doing HAM for a few years now, I don't know if that makes me an expert or not...

I personally don't like Boafeng's user interface, I got so frustrated I threw it out and then my Dad bought me a Yaesu for Christmas a few years ago, but there is a price difference, but I think it is worth it, especially if you want to start talking off of repeaters, the boafeng has so many menus and sub-menus you have to use to off-set and tone, and type of tone, it's a chore. My FT-70DR does so much of that through a few button on the front screen, and somehow has software that predicts the correct tower offset and tone when I just input the frequency.

Here is a cheap Yaesu for $99 Yaesu FT-4XR 5W VHF/UHF HT - https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-4xr-dual-band-transceiver.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAj9iBBhCJARIsAE9qRtBVoxFT5neRIwosEmOkbJkhOkOtMW4iFyuuUt0fCha3jbjLTfnHbK0aAsLKEALw_wcB

If you keep an eye on Gigaparts they run deals often. My dad got the FT-70DR for under $100, now it is running over $120

So that's a $60 increase over the boafeng, but in my opinion it's worth it. I can understand if all you ever do it simplex, that's fine. I think going off of repeaters is important because you can talk to the larger world if you get in trouble in the woods.

There other big thing is an antenna, getting a mobile antenna to go on your roof makes a huge difference. I use my handheld through a roof top antenna. I don't have a separate car radio, I just put the coax straight into my handheld and I get amazing reception.

This is what I bought for my Dad's jeep for Christmas:

But if you buy a boafeng you need to have an SMA Female cable:

Nagoya UT-108UV Radio Antenna SMA Female Dual Band Gain VHF UHF 3dbi For BaoFeng | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nagoya-UT-108UV-Radio-Antenna-SMA-Female-Dual-Band-Gain-VHF-UHF-3dbi-For-BaoFeng/114669641641?_trkparms=aid%3D1110009%26algo%3DSPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111452%26meid%3Dcf5b5d52fde146b69d857030dc0253fe%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D352048541859%26itm%3D114669641641%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DItemStripV101HighAdFee%26brand%3DNagoya&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219

That's $14 for the antenna and mount and coax. No telling how good it is, but It will probably be better than the stock antenna in side the cab.

Edit: Also I have an SWR meter and lots of adapters, so I can help set up someone's antenna and tune it if they need it.

Last edited:
We are working plans for a few rides in March..

1. March 13th, we’ll help the Rocket City Rock Crawlers on another clean up run of Iron Gap and Estill Fork

Reminder, we have a clean-up run coming up. All are welcome to join to do a good deed...

Some might even use this as a pre-run to the shake down run at the end of the month... :bounce2:

Awesome. Me and my family are up for it. Be a good way to meet some of y'all. I'll make my kiddos pick up some trash. Good character building exercise.

I paid my dues today so I don't feel bad leaching in on y'all's section. Any of y'all ever ran that Hitchcock Lane? Just over the state line above Lauderdale. Reminded us a lot of iron Gap. A lot of water crossings. There's a place called the end of the world. Didn't go the whole way running solo.

I paid my dues today so I don't feel bad leaching in on y'all's section. Any of y'all ever ran that Hitchcock Lane? Just over the state line above Lauderdale. Reminded us a lot of iron Gap. A lot of water crossings. There's a place called the end of the world. Didn't go the whole way running solo.
Sounds like a good time.
Can you navigate a group through there?
Haven't seen that one before.

Reminder, we have a clean-up run coming up. All are welcome to join to do a good deed...

Some might even use this as a pre-run to the shake down run at the end of the month... :bounce2:
Potentially up for iron gap. Y’all just doing a day ride?

If you have a Garmin you can do iron Gap and Hitchcock Lane

Sounds like a good time.
Sounds like a good time.
Yeah that'd be cool. I found it with Google maps. Still a lot of it I haven't explored. There's a section for camping. And a dry Beach on the Tennessee River for swimming. The biggest thing is it's all free.

I don't know why I doubled that. I've been on here for years just never talked. Lurking in the background stealing people's ideas

Talked to our RCRC buddy last night. Plan for the clean up is to meet at the Burger King in Gurley on the 13th. We will roll out from the BK at 8:30 sharp, so if you want breakfast get there earlier than that (I’m looking at you @Skitz!)

I have a couple questions about this trash run. What are we going to do with the trash? What kind of volume of trash are we looking at? I may or may not have a roll off dumpster at my work. No need to pay a disposal fee. Just curious

I have a couple questions about this trash run. What are we going to do with the trash? What kind of volume of trash are we looking at? I may or may not have a roll off dumpster at my work. No need to pay a disposal fee. Just curious
That sounds cool!
@ufg8r do you want to float this by the RC guys?
Could drop it by one of the exit outs.

I work for valley heating and cooling in Decatur. We're running six install crews so we accumulate a lot of trash. We always have a roll-off dumpster at the shop. Depending on the volume I'll run this by boss man

awesome, first time we did this we left it all with a guy that lives in the area. It was A LOT of aluminum beer cans so that guy turned them in for $$$. I think we filled up a 20 ft utility trailer.

can’t recall what we did last time but the RCRC guys will have a plan. I’ll find out what it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom