Trail Gear studless hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
I read a post on here where it was shared that these Trail Gear studless hubs can be fitted to an 80 series. I could not find any threads for those using them. I am curious to know if any one is running them? What are your thoughts on these?

I have seen on the forum that many disslike TG stuff and I sure some of that is warranted. I personally have not run any of there stuff, so I do not have an opinion. I like the idea of these hubs and that is why I ask. It is the poor TG support and lack of pressence here that forces me to ask my questions.

cheap chinese s*** isn’t all bad and plenty of the members here buy ARB’s marked up chinese made products so i see no harm in trying it out. the few that i’ve seen run them seem to hold up to 37s, but there isn’t enough to say it’s the go to mod.

i say go for it, but it’s not my wallet lol

I find it funny that TG is taking a Dana design, tweaking some dimensions to make it work in a Toyota configuration, and calling it innovative.

@Tank5

I believe Eric Hagan has them on his 80 axles. I think he used 40/60/mini spindles. Not sure how that works with the birfield shaft length, maybe he can chime in. @Land Speeder

I'm not a huge Trailgear fan BUT there's no denying that a chromolly wheel hub with a big fine-spline chromolly gear is a superior design to six, weak, tiny M8 studs that break if you look at them sideways

I'm not a huge Trailgear fan BUT there's no denying that a chromolly wheel hub with a big fine-spline chromolly gear is a superior design to six, weak, tiny M8 studs that break if you look at them sideways

This is my thought process as well regardless of who makes them. Figured it would good to hear from real world users to back it up. Hopefully @LandSpeeder will chime in.

If it’s TrailFail it’s on ignore

Joey, I have made several purchases from your site and been very happy with your products. If you made something like this it would be great I assume but until then we have no choice but to condider what is available. :D:beer:

Of course if what is avaible does not perform as expected I would not put it on my build either. This is why I am trying to do my research here.

Trying to buy something that is home grown in most countries is almost impossible these days. I have customers who only insist on German made/brand Bosch filters on their German cars. Sure I say, then they get the parts bill and have a cough, but the cough turns to choking when they see the oil filter was made in Tunisia, the air filter in Turkey and the fuel filter made in Israel!

Whether you like it or not most vendors will try anything they can to cut production costs and widen the profit margin and the Chinese can actually do this. The problem comes from overseeing quality control, because they (the Chinese) will also be looking to cut productions costs there is bound to be problems. Something I do believe is if you give a set specification, set material, set manufacturing tolerance then you will get it within the telephone industry for example.

Unfortunately that does not seem to have been laid out clearly to the pharmaceutical manufacturers, I have one more test to come for cancer tumours caused by a blood pressure tablet I used to take that was manufactured in China, the batch had been contaminated with ROCKET FUEL FFS!

I guess that just might not have been in the spec?

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I find it funny that TG is taking a Dana design, tweaking some dimensions to make it work in a Toyota configuration, and calling it innovative.

Yes, it's more of an adaptation than an innovation, like millions of other car parts.

Certainly looks like a solid bit of gear. Assuming machining and materials are good, I see the failure point being the inner spline on the drive slug either flogging out, or stripping the spline off the birfs if you can give them that much of a beating

This is my thought process as well regardless of who makes them. Figured it would good to hear from real world users to back it up. Hopefully @LandSpeeder will chime in.

I've been researching this for a long time now. Collected pictures of several applications, but still fuzzy on the details. For sure you'll need TG's chromoly mini truck spindles and different brakes. Some guys use mini truck rotors or 5th gen 4Runner rotors (this is what I would like). Apparently FJ60 rotors work too. What I'm not clear on is the supposed machine work that's involved. Haven't really found someone willing to share the details.

HCrsWCah.jpg

fkIAWw4h.jpg

1UAdlZrh.jpg

U6ynLOoh.jpg

Dd54umkh.jpg

rJPJitIh.jpg

j85qxHyh.jpg

yz0BuQNh.jpg

VdMtGJih.jpg

cVywE4Vh.jpg

ZZog6Hkh.jpg

zefpDkUh.jpg

As much as I like Toyota stuff, there comes a point where stepping up to tons or a custom housing that incorporates larger parts from hub to hub is money ahead.

As much as I like Toyota stuff, there comes a point where stepping up to tons or a custom housing that incorporates larger parts from hub to hub is money ahead.

Hard to argue with that. A few months back I seriously looked at doing a one ton front axle to start. But every route I went landed me at $7-8k, not to mention all the work in relinking the entire front end. Just decided it was too much money to spend for the time being.

That looks dreamy, but doesnt having hubs on a 80 create a easy fixable weak link? I'd rather repair a hub rather then snaping an axle or replacing studs on the trail etc.

That looks dreamy, but doesnt having hubs on a 80 create a easy fixable weak link? I'd rather repair a hub rather then snaping an axle or replacing studs on the trail etc.

I was interested in these as well but came to the same conclusion you did. I figured it was and easier trail fix to make the hub the weak link.

I dunno, I never really bought into that school of thought. By that notion a stock 80 should never be modified. I'll just keep upgrading parts till the kinetic energy is transferred up into the cab and I myself become the fuse, and explode into a fiery ball of meat on Cadillac Hill :)

Granted I've have had major issues with the hubs, but I'm very easy on the gas pedal, especially when the front is locked. I've given away all my hub studs on the trail, it gets old quick.

Just a note here, my brake discs front and rear are grooved and dimpled and are handed, the slant of the groove leaning backwards if you kn what I mean, I note in the picture above with the TG hubs the disc are not handed, first time I have seen that with this style of discs, not two right hand discs on there right?

regards

Dave

I’ve had spindle bearings fail and basically the hub ride on the birf against the spindle and the end of the birf melted into what was left of the part time hubs. This probably would have lasted better.

I’d say it’s probably a smart upgrade, less parts, less risk of breakage, getting the hub machined for splines however seems like a pain. Would rather that be something supplied in a kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom