Trail-Gear hub seals - anyone have an issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We got the hub kit from trail-gear mainly for the felt outer seals, which are great. However, I've come across a problem when installing the hub. The seal isn't centered on the bolt circle.

I've only done one side so far. And will probably drill our the holes in the other side to allow it to float a bit before tightening it down

The seal is about 1/32 high, I believe.
20230805_151324.jpg

You can see how square it is on the bottom, where it meets the hub. I actually had to use an o-ring pick to keep it from being pushed in.
20230805_150748.jpg

20230805_150423.jpg

How long would someone expect this to last?
This project won't be on the road for a while, but thinking of picking up a set of oem seals.

Thoughts on enlarging the holes to let it self center on the hub?

Hard to tell from those photos what is happening, can you take a couple more, a few from further back, in focus (clean off any gunk first). Is everything already buttoned up?

Hard to tell from those photos what is happening, can you take a couple more, a few from further back, in focus (clean off any gunk first). Is everything already buttoned up?
This is the other side - ignore the rust stains as this was just a trial fit and it needs cleaned up.
20230805_202233.jpg

20230805_202228.jpg

If you don't need it back in the road immediately, I'd say replace them.
If you drill out the holes, what's going to locate the seal correctly?
The od of the hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom