Trackspec Motorsports Hood Vents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Loki94

SILVER Star
Threads
It was hard for me to find pictures of the Trackspec hood vents on the 80, so I thought it would be helpful for the group to see how they turned out. My main question before buying them was how would the side vents look and fit?

Picture1.jpg

Cut down.jpg
detail.jpg

Cutting the hood without overheating the paint took some time, and it removed several structural members that initially made me worry. However, after the louvers were fully installed, the hood tightened up.

I decided to use 3mm nuts and bolts instead of the rivets that came with it. Though they are not installed in the top picture, I added a layer of heat-resistant silicone because I didn't like the idea of metal on metal and plan on a new paint job, but I was surprised how much it added to the look of it.

There was one tricky part to installing the side vents and ensuring they were behind the battery box and using nuts instead of rivets. The last two drill holes were directly in the support arm of the hinge.

They have been on for a while, and I like seeing the heat waves pouring out from the center vent. However, I will be adding something under the center vent to direct rainwater and shade the belts from the sun. The side vent is positioned just behind the battery box, so that's not a concern.

Overall I liked how it turned out and would do it the same way again, but the side vents were the biggest hassle and really aren't venting much heat with the large one in the center.

Those look really good. Nice job on the install. Do you have any metrics on the change in engine temps you see? Like, I averaged around 193 before and now I'm around 190...or something like that?

Nice. Got any under shots?

Nice. Got any under shots?
E1F39E08-913B-4D95-874F-441D5657AD25.jpeg
3AE1791A-70E0-45BC-8B69-E54BB3057CC9.jpeg

Thanks. Here is the view from under the hood. I got the longest 3mm bolt I could find because I knew I would need to get them started in tough places and I wanted to remove as little of the bracing as possible. They are also going to the attachment points for the aluminum “gutters” I will be adding to divert crap, sun and water when in normal use. The plan would also be to take those off if crawling for extended periods.

Those look really good. Nice job on the install. Do you have any metrics on the change in engine temps you see? Like, I averaged around 193 before and now I'm around 190...or something like that?
Sorry no. That said, I need to get better about quantifying stuff like that. However on this one I don't have a gauge installed to give me those numbers. Yet. Beyond general maintenance, Temp, AFR and boost gauges are likely to be next on the list.

Looks good and I love the retro Toyota racing colors. How long have you had them in and how has the engine bay faired?
For me, what I have noticed is water can collect around the spark plug boot of cylinder number one (my driveway has a slight slope that probably makes this worse). I investigated it further and found some surface rust in the plug channel and on the threads of the spark plug. I cleaned it out and replaced the wires so the boot had a good seal and did the plugs distributor cap and button at the same time. Unfortunately the truck doesn't have the cover on the cylinder head . That part for the 94 is no longer available and I haven't yet been able to source it used. However I suspect even with that water will still collect. Which is why I want to add some kind of gutter to direct water between the belts and radiator.

Looking to see if anyone else has installed these and has data on changes in engine/under hood temps? What’s the current consensus on their effectiveness?

Any particular reason you have the vents so far back? I can see the how if they are farther back with the air being pushed through from the front it gives the hot a place to escape.
It wasn’t very scientific, but I wanted air to go through the rad, pass over the engine, and exit in the low pressure zone towards the windshield.

It wasn’t very scientific, but I wanted air to go through the rad, pass over the engine, and exit in the low pressure zone towards the windshield.
I was thinking the same thing. When it comes time to install mine I am going to push them closer to the firewall for the same reasons you mentioned.

The lowest pressure will be over the hood just aft of the radiator. The base of the windshield is a zone of slightly higher pressure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom