TPMS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, been doing some digging, think I know the answer but want to run it by some experts!

Recently had my tires swapped around, about a day later my tmps warning came on, checked and verified pressure was good (even in the spare) then tried to reset the light according to the internet.

The light will not reset and flashes for about a minute before going solid. Could this just be a bad sensor in one of the wheels? Is there a way to figure out which one is bad? Could it be another issue?

Thanks!

Hey guys, been doing some digging, think I know the answer but want to run it by some experts!

Recently had my tires swapped around, about a day later my tmps warning came on, checked and verified pressure was good (even in the spare) then tried to reset the light according to the internet.

The light will not reset and flashes for about a minute before going solid. Could this just be a bad sensor in one of the wheels? Is there a way to figure out which one is bad? Could it be another issue?

Thanks!

You could try initializing your TPMS:

TPMS2_Reset_18JAN18_zps8pwuusr9.jpg

HTH

Is step 2 referring to manually checking and adjusting your tires or is there something in the infotainment to adjust? Is (->P .664) referring to a page in the manual? Sorry I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Step 2 is manually adjusting the COLD tire pressure to the pressure shown on the TIP (Tire Information Plaque) found on the Driver's door jamb.

Page 664 is the page in the Owner's Manual which duplicates the info on the TIP - Note: This reference is for a 2013 LC200 so may be a different page in your Owner's Manual, but in any case it will be the info on the TIP.

HTH

Step 2 is manually adjusting the COLD tire pressure to the pressure shown on the TIP (Tire Information Plaque) found on the Driver's door jamb.

Page 664 is the page in the Owner's Manual which duplicates the info on the TIP - Note: This reference is for a 2013 LC200 so may be a different page in your Owner's Manual, but in any case it will be the info on the TIP.

HTH
Thanks for the information! I’ll give her a try when I get home. Let you know how it turns out.

Alright, unfortunately that didn’t do the trick. As soon as I bring the ignition on I get the warning ⚠️ and the low tire light flashes. Flashes for a bout a minute than goes solid.

image.jpg

Alright, unfortunately that didn’t do the trick. As soon as I bring the ignition on I get the warning ⚠️ and the low tire light flashes. Flashes for a bout a minute than goes solid.

View attachment 3195723

It looks like the engine is running in that pic - that should not be the case.

After manually setting the tire pressures for all 5 tires, with your foot OFF the brake pedal, push the Engine Start/Stop button twice - this will put the ignition in ON mode. Engine will not start and will not be running.

At this point, press and hold the SET button under the dash until the trire pressure warning light blinks slowly 3 times and the message, "Tire Pressure Reset Proceeding" appears on the Multi Information Display.

Wait for a few minutes with the ignition still in the ON mode, and then press the Engine Start/Stop button once to turn the ignition OFF.

HTH

It looks like the engine is running in that pic - that should not be the case.

After manually setting the tire pressures for all 5 tires, with your foot OFF the brake pedal, push the Engine Start/Stop button twice - this will put the ignition in ON mode. Engine will not start and will not be running.

At this point, press and hold the SET button under the dash until the trire pressure warning light blinks slowly 3 times and the message, "Tire Pressure Reset Proceeding" appears on the Multi Information Display.

Wait for a few minutes with the ignition still in the ON mode, and then press the Engine Start/Stop button once to turn the ignition OFF.

HTH
Sorry the photo was taken when the motor was on just to show the lights. I did try with just the ignition on. I’m guessing it’s a bad sensor, maybe a dead battery. I have to try and find my OBD2 reader and see if I can narrow it down to which one, otherwise I can get 5 new ones for under $60 and just have my local discount. Thanks for the help and information to narrow it down!

Sorry the photo was taken when the motor was on just to show the lights. I did try with just the ignition on. I’m guessing it’s a bad sensor, maybe a dead battery. I have to try and find my OBD2 reader and see if I can narrow it down to which one, otherwise I can get 5 new ones for under $60 and just have my local discount. Thanks for the help and information to narrow it down!
I would strongly advise against getting the cheapest transmitters possible. The originals made for Toyota by Pacific Industries are pretty affordable and will go many years, the junk installed by tire shops are just that.. junk. Intended to fit into any vehicle and be more convenient (cheaper) to program.

You’ll just need to do a little digging to see which PI model works with your year.

2018 LC200 - I can’t get my TPMS system to reset. I swapped wheels and ran my winter wheels (OEM with OEM TPMS) and tires for 1 week, during the icepocalypse here two weeks ago, but quickly swapped them back to the TRD Pro rims with regular Michelins, as I’ve been running since March 2022 (with new aftermarket TPMS, running just fine).

I wasn’t able to re-initialize the TPMS with the winter wheels, and I couldn’t get the TPMS system to re-initialize when I put the summer/“regular” wheels back on.

A few days ago I took out my spare (OEM) wheel and swapped the spare tire and (OEM) TPMS unit to a newly-purchased TRD Pro, to match the other 4 TRD Pros now on the LC. I have now tried the TPMS re-set procedure 5-6 more times, but I can’t get it to show “TIRE PRESSURE RESET PROCEEDING”. The tire pressure warning icon stays on (flashing, initially), and I can’t get any TPMS pressure readings on the display.

Is there some other magic that I need to know? Voltage needle on the dash voltmeter shows 11.5 volts, if that matters.

2018 LC200 - I can’t get my TPMS system to reset. I swapped wheels and ran my winter wheels (OEM with OEM TPMS) and tires for 1 week, during the icepocalypse here two weeks ago, but quickly swapped them back to the TRD Pro rims with regular Michelins, as I’ve been running since March 2022 (with new aftermarket TPMS, running just fine).

I wasn’t able to re-initialize the TPMS with the winter wheels, and I couldn’t get the TPMS system to re-initialize when I put the summer/“regular” wheels back on.

A few days ago I took out my spare (OEM) wheel and swapped the spare tire and (OEM) TPMS unit to a newly-purchased TRD Pro, to match the other 4 TRD Pros now on the LC. I have now tried the TPMS re-set procedure 5-6 more times, but I can’t get it to show “TIRE PRESSURE RESET PROCEEDING”. The tire pressure warning icon stays on (flashing, initially), and I can’t get any TPMS pressure readings on the display.

Is there some other magic that I need to know? Voltage needle on the dash voltmeter shows 11.5 volts, if that matters.
Are the aftermarket transmitters/sensors clones of your original sensor IDs? If so are they stored near where you park?

If they are denso or pacific industries, did you program the new IDs into the vehicle?

Do you have access to techstream with working live data & TPMS feedback? (I specify those functions because not all code read/clear TS installs have those parts working.) If not I highly advise this resource. Makes this stuff way easier to diagnose.

Thanks @bloc . The TPMS units on four of these rims are off-brand / aftermarket / generics, provided by my mechanic friend for free, and coded to the truck using his generic TPMS scanner - I'm sorry I don't know any of the brands. The spare has the OEM TPMS from the OEM rim. Yes, the other set of OEM rims, OEM TPMS and winter tires is stacked in the garage, about 4-6 feet from the front right corner of the LC, depending on where my wife parks it.

I recall my friend walking around with his scanner and scanning each sensor (once installed on the truck) at least 2-3 times before he could get them to "load" or "be registered". I also remember that it took several days of driving around before the TPMS warning light went off and the temperatures started showing in the instrument cluster. Sadly, all of this happened before I researched TPMS here on MUD, otherwise I would have just bought the Pacific Industries ones, and would have written down the serial numbers.

I think he loaded the new IDs into the vehicle with his scanner, maybe via the OBDII port? Would that make sense?

I don't have access to Techstream, but I'll read up on it now.

As a shorter-term solution, I have a Discount Tire less than a mile away - would they be able to scan & load the sensor IDs into the truck using some device there, or is it more involved than that?

Thanks again for the assist.

Thanks @bloc . The TPMS units on four of these rims are off-brand / aftermarket / generics, provided by my mechanic friend for free, and coded to the truck using his generic TPMS scanner - I'm sorry I don't know any of the brands. The spare has the OEM TPMS from the OEM rim. Yes, the other set of OEM rims, OEM TPMS and winter tires is stacked in the garage, about 4-6 feet from the front right corner of the LC, depending on where my wife parks it.

I recall my friend walking around with his scanner and scanning each sensor (once installed on the truck) at least 2-3 times before he could get them to "load" or "be registered". I also remember that it took several days of driving around before the TPMS warning light went off and the temperatures started showing in the instrument cluster. Sadly, all of this happened before I researched TPMS here on MUD, otherwise I would have just bought the Pacific Industries ones, and would have written down the serial numbers.

I think he loaded the new IDs into the vehicle with his scanner, maybe via the OBDII port? Would that make sense?

I don't have access to Techstream, but I'll read up on it now.

As a shorter-term solution, I have a Discount Tire less than a mile away - would they be able to scan & load the sensor IDs into the truck using some device there, or is it more involved than that?

Thanks again for the assist.
It all depends on what kind of sensor they are. “Clones” are meant to emulate your existing IDs so the vehicle doesn’t need programming telling it what to look for. This is where having the old wheels stored nearby can be a problem, since the vehicle will detect multiple sources with the same ID. Advice varies on how far they need to be, but if everything was working with your old wheels stacked nearby, you probably don’t have clones. Unless maybe the TPMS receiver system got a lot more sophisticated on newer 200s and can tell the difference in position.

Sounds like they used something with new IDs and programmed the vehicle, yes this would be through the OBD port. I’d have no idea why they wouldn’t still be working..

For the record the reset button has nothing to do with learning new sensor IDs. All it does is relearn the new current pressure as the ideal set point, so once you lose X% of that pressure the warning light will illuminate. This means the alarms work effectively for both 33psi stock tires, and 40psi LTs that would be dangerously underinflated at the factory 33psi set point. It does make sense that if something was wrong with a signal it was getting it wouldn’t allow the reset process to complete.

Maybe try posting to your local club board looking for techstream. Or if you make it to central Texas soon I can hook mine up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom