TPMS Gremlins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HSTexan

GOLD Star
Threads
Wanted to get the forums feedback about some odd TPMS gremlins I’m experiencing right now. Was driving home the other day after about an 45 min-hour drive and took a highway exit when I look down and noticed my TPMS light is flashing. Flashed for 60 seconds or so and then went solid and none of the sensors were giving readings.

Google suggests that means they’re either damaged, battery is shot, or some other error causing them to not communicate. I tried to turn the car off and on again to see if it would reset, but it didn’t. However, after parking the vehicle overnight the light went away and the sensors were reading like normal again. That was last week and I hadn’t had any issues since then.

This morning I left on a 5 hour road trip and after about an hour on the road the light flashed for 60ish seconds before going solid with none of the sensors giving readings. This time when I turned off the car to stop for gas the light went off and the sensors were reading...for about 30 minutes until it came on again.

I wouldn’t think it was battery since they keep coming back and reading (not to mention they’re only 2.5yrs old). I do have Apex valves so the sensor is in a bracket inside the wheel, however, the valves have been installed for a little over a year and a half. Potential damage could still be an issue; would it be possible to go over to a tire shop have them re-pair the sensors with the vehicle? Very confused since all of the sensors go at the same time, thoughts?

If I remember correctly the 200 series' TPMS System, at least the earlier years like my 2013, will do exactly that, flash and then go solid illumination when one or more Sensors are not communicating with vehicle's computer. I'd suspect one of your TPMS is dead. The system is unable to show on the center display which one is the culprit. Instead the whole system just defaults to being offline. Dissapointing to say the least.
Do you know what brand of sensors you have? The oem or Denso equivalent have a good life expectancy of around 5-10 years+.

I am experiencing this at the moment, except mine are no longer reading at all so my light is solid and the display says "Check TPMS.."

I asked the service tech last time I took it in for service and he said I need to replace all of the TPMS. I couldn't understand why all of them would need to be replaced. He said because they cannot determine which of them are defective.

If I remember correctly the 200 series' TPMS System, at least the earlier years like my 2013, will do exactly that, flash and then go solid illumination when one or more Sensors are not communicating with vehicle's computer. I'd suspect one of your TPMS is dead. The system is unable to show on the center display which one is the culprit. Instead the whole system just defaults to being offline. Dissapointing to say the least.
Do you know what brand of sensors you have? The oem or Denso equivalent have a good life expectancy of around 5-10 years+.

They are the OEM sensors still, when you do the Apex valves I believe you just cut the factory valve stem off and then attach them to a bracket on the inside of the Apex valve. Car was new in 2021 so they are well within their lifespan

I am experiencing this at the moment, except mine are no longer reading at all so my light is solid and the display says "Check TPMS.."

I asked the service tech last time I took it in for service and he said I need to replace all of the TPMS. I couldn't understand why all of them would need to be replaced. He said because they cannot determine which of them are defective.
I forgot to mention this, but other than the light flashing and turning solid I’m getting no text warning or alert on the display at all either

Does your light blink at all when you first start up the 200? Or does it go from off to immeadlety full on lit up?
You have me now questioning my sanity lol.
I recently swapped to my other set of wheels/tires and I did initially forget to reprogram the TPMS. The wheels/tires that were still programmed to the truck were located within reading distance where their TPMS would populate on the dash until i pulled out of the driveway. Then the light would flash for a min before going solid. The process would repeat everyone I parked back at home within reading distance of the old sensors.

I believe most tire shops can read each sensor and get their RFID number off of them. Seems like the wheel/tire that doesn't give a signal would be the bad apple to replace.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention this, but other than the light flashing and turning solid I’m getting no text warning or alert on the display at all either
When you cycle through the display to the TPMS screen it should reflect an error or warning when the TPMS light is illuminated.

I am not too familiar with the APEX valves. Looking at how they connect I wonder if the TPMS sensor separated from the APEX unit and got damaged bouncing around in the tire?

Screenshot_20231011_141727_Firefox.jpg

Does your light blink at all when you first start up the 200? Or does it go from off to immeadlety full on lit up?
You have me now questioning my sanity lol.
I recently swapped to my other set of wheels/tires and I did initially forget to reprogram the TPMS. The wheels/tires that were still programmed to the truck were located within reading distance where their TPMS would populate on the dash until i pulled out of the driveway. Then the light would flash for a min before going solid. The process would repeat everyone I parked back at home within reading distance of the old sensors.

I believe most tire shops can read each sensor and get their RFID number off of them. Seems like the wheel/tire that doesn't give a signal would be the bad apple to replace.

Good question. It may blink for a second or two before staying lit. I haven't paid that much attention but I will check. I plan on taking it in to a tire shop before the trip in Nov.

I am not too familiar with the APEX valves. Looking at how they connect I wonder if the TPMS sensor separated from the APEX unit and got damaged bouncing around in the tire?

Agreed. This would be my line of investigation.

I have even better gremlin. Every summer my faulty tpms starts working and as winter approaches, it start blinking and goes bad. The one I have issue with is the spare tire TPMS. You can use techstream to troubleshoot which one is the faulty one if you are so interested.

We can either live with monthly tire pressure checks or go through the expensive pain of getting all tpms replaced and re-configured to the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom