Toyota mechanics in Albuquerque? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don’t know if this is the right place to post. My son is in the military stationed in ft Bragg NC he’s been without a vehicle for 2 years, he recently saved up some $ to get a vehicle just something to get him around base, I found an 01 4Runner 200k runs great, brought it home to get it ready to drive out to NC three days later I took it to get emissions test and it started knocking nothing crazy like a cam or crank to me it sounds like a lifter or valve, I’m looking for someone who has the adjustment tools or someone willing to help me with it, it still runs good with the knock any help would be greatly appreciated

@pappy is or was in that area and may be able to give a suggestion.

For a shop we usually recommend Toyomaster in the north valley.

As far as valve adjustment tools, I have some for my 3RZ. I'm not sure if they will work for this engine. I'm going to guess the adjustment is done with shims. All you can really do is check the clearance, unless you have replacement shims.

I'm going to move this thread over to HD Cruisers so the club can chime in.

Last edited:
X2 toyomasters
Also ABQ QUALITY AUYO SERVICE on Arno. Honda experts but do really good work on Toyota’s too

Mike who owns MBS Automotive near Corrales/Rio Rancho is a Land Cruiser fanatic. I take my JDM Toyota Van to him.

For a shop we usually recommend Toyomaster in the north valley.

As far as valve adjustment tools, I have some for my 3RZ. I'm not sure if they will work for this engine. I'm going to guess the adjustment is done with shims. All you can really do is check the clearance, unless you have replacement shims.

I'm going to move this thread over to HD Cruisers so the club can chime in.
If the valve adjustment tool is the same would it be possible for me to rent it from you?

Can someone post up the valve adj info from the FSM to this thread so that we can all see? If it's an overhead cam engine, which I assume it is, then my guess is that there will be shims. If they are shims sitting inside buckets, then all you need is a feeler gauge. But this is all conjecture at this stage!

However, the OP original description is that he heard "knocking" which is a far cry from "ticking" sound that a mal adjusted valve clearance engine would make. So, there might be something else is amiss? Just thinking out loud here.

Can a video of the sound be made and uploaded to YouTube then linked here?

If the valve adjustment tool is the same would it be possible for me to rent it from you?
I will lone it to you. Like Ali said, if you have shims in buckets you won't be able to adjust the valves unless you have the correct size shim. You don't need the tool to check the adjustment. Only if you are replacing the shim.

Can someone post up the valve adj info from the FSM to this thread so that we can all see? If it's an overhead cam engine, which I assume it is, then my guess is that there will be shims. If they are shims sitting inside buckets, then all you need is a feeler gauge. But this is all conjecture at this stage!

However, the OP original description is that he heard "knocking" which is a far cry from "ticking" sound that a mal adjusted valve clearance engine would make. So, there might be something else is amiss? Just thinking out loud here.

Can a video of the sound be made and uploaded to YouTube then linked here?
I have a video just don’t know how to load here on mud

I will lone it to you. Like Ali said, if you have shims in buckets you won't be able to adjust the valves unless you have the correct size shim. You don't need the tool to check the adjustment. Only if you are replacing the shim.
My brother is gonna remove intake and valve cover on Saturday, we should know what it is then, the guy I got the 4Runner from has an extra set of heads with shims

I have a video just don’t know how to load here on mud

Your phone should make it easy to upload your video to YouTube. After uploading it to YT, grab the link to your video and stick it here.

very nice video and I assume the ticking sound speeds up with the engine rpm increasing?

It does speed up but also seems to go away at about 1200rpm, it’s very loud in video not as loud in person

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom