Toyota Land Cruiser 100 vs Toyota Sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Which one is better? I am looking between a Toyota Land Cruiser 100 and a Toyota Sequoia 2001-2004. Is the Sequoia good for off-roading? What modifications can I do on them? How comfortable is The Land Cruiser compared to Sequoia? Is it good for teenagers? Which one is the best? Is the Land Cruiser better quality? I am leaning towards a Land Cruiser.

Last edited:
Assuming this is a serious question....

There is no comparison between the two. The Land Cruiser is a totally different species of animal and much better in every aspect...not even close!

Assuming this is a serious question....

There is no comparison between the two. The Land Cruiser is a totally different species of animal and much better in every aspect...not even close!

Yeah, if the difference isn't immediately apparent to you, the Sequoia is for you.

Well the Sequioia will be cheaper at first when comparing years to mileage. The engines are similar of course.

The suspensions are different. Check out the differences in the front and rear.

I've never driven a Sequoia but I know a Detective buddy loves his because it's the family vacation mobile. He had a firs gen and is now in a second gen. For what he needs it to do it's perfect for him. I see him getting a 200 series down the road as funds increase.

Drive each, both have merits as Toyotas but the Land Cruiser is going to be a more solid platform IMHO.

But you might not need it, the Sequoia may be the better vehicle for you.

Landcruiser is designed over a period of 5 years with rigorous testing in 3 countries (USA, OMAN and AUSTRALIA). What this means is the 100 series was made in 93 and tested in all conditions for 5 years. If I remember right, around 1000+ engineers are involved in its design.

Regarding the teenager question, Land Cruisers are extremely safe, see thread below. Guy I know had an 80 and his son was hit by an Escalade and wasn't injured. The Escalade looks unrecognizable in the front end. I can't speak to LC safety vs Sequoia, I am sure Toyota makes Sequoias very safe as well, but I know several people who have been in bad collisions in both 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers and walked away fine.

1997 LX450 for parts

I'll go ahead and chime in. I've owned both and both are great cars. I have no complaints about the sequoia whatsoever. I will say that the land cruiser is a more "solid" feeling vehicle.

The sequoia on the other hand is based more off of a tundra platform. Same front end with coils out back. BUT the plus side of the sequoia is (what I believe) is a better front end. It has several more inches of travel than the LC and comes in a coilover flavor instead of torsion bar.

It all comes back to your use. The sequoia is wider and bigger, so if you wanna squeeze down trails the LC would probably be better.

Both are great cars and you can get a sequoia for a lot cheaper than the LC with the same year/mileage.

I have also owned both, IMHO the LC just "felt" like a more solid, better built platform. Our Sequoia was great for traveling and loading up the kids and groceries but never thought about taking it off road. The LC on the other hand will do all those things and more. Our Sequoia was a 04, my LC is a 98.

Which one is better? I am looking between a Toyota Land Cruiser 100 and a Toyota Sequoia 2001-2004. Is the Sequoia good for off-roading? What modifications can I do on them? How comfortable is The Land Cruiser compared to Sequoia? Is it good for teenagers? Which one is the best? Is the Land Cruiser better quality? I am leaning towards a Land Cruiser.

Better for what?

What type of off-roading?

Modifications ? Probably easier to find mods for the 100, but the the sequoia shares a bit with the tundra:

Comfortable in what way? Go sit in and test drive them for yourself.

For a teenager? Probably makes no difference driving from home to school, but I put my teenager in a 100, my brother put one teen in an 80 and another in a 120 (GX470).

Best for what?

Better quality? The 100 without a doubt.

And to add to the confusion, why not a GX470, 4runner or Tacoma?

Last edited:
I've also had both... X2 on what you said.

I have also owned both, IMHO the LC just "felt" like a more solid, better built platform. Our Sequoia was great for traveling and loading up the kids and groceries but never thought about taking it off road. The LC on the other hand will do all those things and more. Our Sequoia was a 04, my LC is a 98.

I have also owned both (2003 LC and 2005 Sequoia Limited) and can attest to the LC being more composed and better build quality. You'll want to think about some of the mechanicals, e.g., the 5-speed trans came to the Sequoia in 2005 and LC in 2003, as well as the rear lift gate configuration, LC has the split/clam shell tail gate whereas the Sequoia has the roll-down rear window. The Sequoia is a little bigger in the second and third rows and has the optional second row captains chairs, which I had an liked. The cup holders are definitely better in the Sequoia though ; )

That being said, I recently unloaded the Sequoia and am now trying to decide between another 100-series or probably a 200-series.

Good luck. Both are great vehicles.

The cup holders are definitely better in the Sequoia though ; )

Thread over:lol:

Seriously though, they are both good trucks with the LC/LX having the edge in build quality/durability and the Sequoia having the edge in price.

If you aren't going to be doing serious wheeling and are using this as a occasional wheeler and mostly kid/groceries hauler, you will be fine with either. If you are going to wheel more or are looking to do some expo stuff, I think the LC/LX is very capable in its stock configuration and has some great aftermarket support.

My 2 centavos :meh:

Yeah, if the difference isn't immediately apparent to you, the Sequoia is for you.

No need for this. The OP asked a serious question, and even stated that they were leaning towards a Land Cruiser.

mudeater, the LC/LX is built to a MUCH higher standard. There's a couple good reads out there on the internet, and that the LC is built to a 25 yr service life, compared to much lower for anything else. While some components are the same such as the motor, it's the rest of the vehicle that is truly over engineered. Feel free to make your own choice of course, but there is more than one insurance adjuster on this board and on the 80 series board that has their family in LC's because they are just about the safest vehicle out there. One guy in the 80 forum rolled his seven times and walked away. My own 80 was ran off of a 10ft cliff, and landed 40-50ft out in a creek upside down by an idiot "friend." Said friend walked away wet from the water, but with only a scratch on his finger.

Feel free to give it a google though, as there are some great links out there such as:
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-the-toyota-land-cruiser-is-so-expensive-1715003811

For my money, I"ll take a LC/LX all day, every day.

LC/LX is Toyota's flagship vehicle. All features aside between the two, you have the chance to own one of the best vehicles ever built. Own a 100 series once and everything else will seem to fall short. Buy a Sequoia and you will always wished you bought the 100. Sell your 100 you will miss it and get another. Nuff said.

When I was looking at vehicles in 2001, I was pretty much set on a Sequoia. My initial impression was that it was a better value than the LC which was smaller and more expensive. However, after driving both and researching, the LC became attractive. If we had a larger family, the Sequoia may have won out. The solid, refined ride of the LC was noteworthy. We ended up traveling a lot with the LC and weather situations became uneventful with the LC. Side trips while traveling for real scenic views were easily accommodated. Even after a couple years, it still had its smooth and refined ride. However, I traded in for another vehicle. What JayM said is true, we missed the LC and eventually were in a hunt for a replacement - even the same year, but this time the LX. The LX is an even nicer highway traveler with the AHC; sometimes forgeting it is loaded down, because ride level is the same as when unloaded. Safety is a big factor also.

My wife had slid off the road on a snowy hill into a ditch in our minivan, so I found the LC a great comfort. She also found that other drivers tended to give be less prone to cut off the LC in traffic. The visibility and ability to judge the LC's footprint coupled with the steering wheel and seat adjustments make the LC/LX and excellent vehicle for us. In contrast, the Sequoia seats were not as comfortable and did not enable the same manner of visibility for the lady drivers in our family. We still have the LX and I am unsure if my wife will ever part with it...

No need for this. The OP asked a serious question, and even stated that they were leaning towards a Land Cruiser.

For my money, I"ll take a LC/LX all day, every day.

I don't mean that negatively, just saying if they appear the same, then you're not looking for a land cruiser. I don't think everyone needs a Land Cruiser. I'm not sure Land Cruisers are practical, maybe not even for me. Overkill? Sure, and that's true for a lot of people here.

I'm just saying if you have to think about it, then you just want convenience and that's the Sequoia. The Land Cruiser was my first Toyota. I otherwise drive Volvos because I sit in traffic jams all day and just need the reliability.

by no means am I dogging the Sequoia, either.

Last edited:
fortable is The Land Cruiser compared to Sequoia? Is it good for teenagers? Which one is the best? Is the Land Cruiser better quality? I a
dont know why you got likes but this is like the worst comment ever. he wants a capable offroad big suv maybe. he doesnt know the difference so he ask in a forum and your answer to him is just go for the sequoia.

Since this thread was brought back, in case it is helpful-- if it is a toss up for you between space plus cost vs build quality, go test drive each in a tight parking lot. There is a huge difference in turning radius and maneuverability between the LC100 and 1st Gen Sequoia. I love how effortless it is to put my cruiser right where I want it.

I haven't test driven the 2nd Gen Sequoia, but by turning radius specs it appears to be better. Nominally the same as 100 series.

I have had both as well. I went from a 1999 LC to a 2007 Sequoia. The Sequoia seemed nice at first, more room, 5spd tranny, similar engine and much more affordable (2007 LC vs 2007 Sequoia). After a few months, I really grew to dislike it. Felt cheap inside compared to an LC 8 years older. I just couldn't look past the truck like ride, the countless rattles from the cheaper plastics inside and just the overall build quality being less than my 99 LC. BTW, I sold the Sequoia after about 3 months of owning it and bought a 2004 LX, and have never looked back. It really just comes down to what's most important to you. Some of the more blunt replies on this site should be expected considering that it is a Cruiser site. Good luck!

dont know why you got likes but this is like the worst comment ever. he wants a capable offroad big suv maybe. he doesnt know the difference so he ask in a forum and your answer to him is just go for the sequoia.
dont know why you got problems with a two year old post all a sudden. you doesn't know the thread is old

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom