Toyota diesel vs Cummings diesel... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys/girls....

I have a little question. I know a lot of us land cruiser lovers think and dream of running a diesel or owning a beautiful 60 with a diesel but If you had a option to have a 60 with a well built and installed properly Cummings 4BT or 6BT or a Toyota factory diesel....what would you prefer? The factory Toyota diesel Or well built Cummings?... what would your options be? I guess one of my questions towards my post is having a well built and installed Cummings worth It over a factory Toyota diesel?

I myself want a diesel very badly and having said that I have an option to get a well built/installed 6BT FJ60,I’m just not sure if it’s any better or worth over waiting to get a factory Toyota diesel 60? I hear you can produce some serious power with a Cummings but I’m not so much on going that route,I’m more looking for the reliability side of the diesel and I know Toyota diesels are very reliable,not so much sure how reliable a Cummings is? I plan on someday getting a diesel to take on a cross country trip.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks guys👍

I’d be happy with one of the newer Toyota diesels as they were designed for the vehicle. The cummins 2.8 seems nice though but pricey. I’d love a Mercedes 2.7 5cyl turbo diesel but so many challenges not worth the effort.

not being a diesel guy myself, i'd probably look at resale value. i'd think that the toyota diesel would give you a better return if you were to peddle it off. the cummins.... stone cold reliable....if it's left reasonably stock. that being said i'd probably hot rod the everlivin' $h!t out of it.

I'd certainly prefer Toyota, but I think if you're in the States, the Cummins will be less of a headache as far as parts availability. I could be wrong though. Either way, I think most of us would be at least slightly jealous of either.

one member just posted an update on his 2.8 conversion. I think he did a new 5 speed and rebuilt transfer case. He said he had about $42k invested in the whole deal.

I’d imagine a trip to Australia to source a donor vehicle would be an economical way to go the Toyota route.

one member just posted an update on his 2.8 conversion. I think he did a new 5 speed and rebuilt transfer case. He said he had about $42k invested in the whole deal.

I’d imagine a trip to Australia to source a donor vehicle would be an economical way to go the Toyota route.

Wow that’s a lot invested for sure! I’ve seen some decent diesels for sale but like I said I have a chance to get a nice Cummings swapped 60 but just not sure if I’ll regret going that route towards a true factory diesel?

not being a diesel guy myself, i'd probably look at resale value. i'd think that the toyota diesel would give you a better return if you were to peddle it off. the cummins.... stone cold reliable....if it's left reasonably stock. that being said i'd probably hot rod the everlivin' $h!t out of it.

I was thinking that same exact thing,if by some reason I decided to part waysWith it down the road I’d definitely get more of my money back if it was factory Toyota diesel over the swapped?

I am not a diesel guy or have owned a diesel Cruiser. That being said, I have done some research. There are some advantages / disadvantages of both. Here's my thoughts:

The 4BT is a great motor. Easy to make lots of power. Easy access to parts. Easy availability. And many people have put them in many vehicles. However, it is very tall. It also is very loud and rattles a lot. There are some things you can do to help, but there is only so much.

The Toyota diesels are great motors too. They are quieter. However, since they were not available in the US, then they are not as available. Parts are not as available. And they will cost quite a bit more for both parts and an engine because of this. But they fit better and they were actually used in Cruisers.

And don't forget the Isuzu 4BD1T and its variants. Another great motor that many use for swaps. Has some advantages over the Cummins, and like everything, some disadvantages.

Not sure this helped but good luck.

My step van I bought with a 88 Cummins 4BT had over 500,000 miles and the motor is still going. Cummins all the way in the USA🇺🇸. Parts will be available in any town if you happen to need them. Also the 6BT Dodge trucks parts are the same on the 4BT so to me it’s a no brainer. I get goose bumps hearing my turbo spool.
23D9DDA6-3FDD-4541-BF1A-E09BD466419D.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not a diesel guy or have owned a diesel Cruiser. That being said, I have done some research. There are some advantages / disadvantages of both. Here's my thoughts:

The 4BT is a great motor. Easy to make lots of power. Easy access to parts. Easy availability. And many people have put them in many vehicles. However, it is very tall. It also is very loud and rattles a lot. There are some things you can do to help, but there is only so much.

The Toyota diesels are great motors too. They are quieter. However, since they were not available in the US, then they are not as available. Parts are not as available. And they will cost quite a bit more for both parts and an engine because of this. But they fit better and they were actually used in Cruisers.

And don't forget the Isuzu 4BD1T and its variants. Another great motor that many use for swaps. Has some advantages over the Cummins, and like everything, some disadvantages.

Not sure this helped but good luck.
Thank you so much for your info,very helpful. I have done some research here and there last night and I do hear nothing but great things for both the Cummings and Toyota diesel,yes a lot of people swing towards the Cummings because like you said parts are easier to get and come across and you can produce wicked amounts of power from them but yes super loud especially if straight pipe them lol....I really am leaning towards reliability for both motors but I know they’re both very reliable. I hear a lot of guys drool over a Cummings swap in a land cruiser but just in general to have a diesel goes a long way.

My step van I bought with a 88 Cummins 4BT had over 500,000 miles and the motor is still going. Cummins all the way in the USA🇺🇸. Parts will be available in any town if you happen to need them. Also the 1st gen Dodge trucks parts are the same on the 4BT so to me it’s a no brainer. I get goose bumps hearing my turbo spool.

Wow!...beautiful yota brother! I absolutely love your setup! What made you go with the bags in the rear suspension? Also little info on this beauty? You make the bumpers etc? Sounds amazing btw🙌🏻

Keep in mind that the R2.8 is a new in box crate motor so right off the bat it’s a $9000 bill. After adapters and the 5 speed etc you are up around $15000 and you haven’t even touched a tool yet.

4BT’s are pretty abundant in the old delivery trucks so a lot of people buy one of those trucks, grab the motor and parts and sell the rest and often break even or recoup a portion of the investment.

Wow!...beautiful yota brother! I absolutely love your setup! What made you go with the bags in the rear suspension? Also little info on this beauty? You make the bumpers etc? Sounds amazing btw🙌🏻
I just put in one airbag last weekend as my rear tire carrier has my spare on drivers side and had a 2” sag. Leveled it right out. I’m going to put one on the passenger but need to reroute the exhaust and haven’t had time yet.
Front bumper is a 4plus and rear is custom made.

Keep in mind that the R2.8 is a new in box crate motor so right off the bat it’s a $9000 bill. After adapters and the 5 speed etc you are up around $15000 and you haven’t even touched a tool yet.

4BT’s are pretty abundant in the old delivery trucks so a lot of people buy one of those trucks, grab the motor and parts and sell the rest and often break even or recoup a portion of the investment.
I bought my stepvan complete for $4200. Sold everything except motor and it ended up being $1900 for the 4BT. I also got a larger intercooler, HX-30 turbo and the VE pump. Also a lot of misc parts.

@Trailink82 , there's 3 cummins powered 60's that come to mind right off the bat here in mud, hojack's, boots n the phoenician. totally worth your while to dig thru those if you are leaning in that direction. i believe hojack n boots collaborated on the snowball of hojack's. best of building fortunes on your project n keep us posted. we like 60's p0rn :hillbilly:

I got quoted about $25k to do the swap from my gaser over to diesel and that was including the motor but not the tranny.

My step van I bought with a 88 Cummins 4BT had over 500,000 miles and the motor is still going. Cummins all the way in the USA🇺🇸. Parts will be available in any town if you happen to need them. Also the 6BT Dodge trucks parts are the same on the 4BT so to me it’s a no brainer. I get goose bumps hearing my turbo spool.

@Hojack , dude, you left us hangin'!!!! 900 something rpm isn't spoolin' up!!! like the pop up ad i'm lookin' at right now says "make some NOISE!":flipoff2:

I think you should also seriously also consider the 4BD1T and it's variants. It is readily available, 3" shorter, quieter, extremely reliable, and people have put these in lots of vehicles (just like the cummins). It would be very high on my short list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom