toyota 2.4 L turbo RPM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a simple question. What RPM's are you guys running to on a stock 2.4L turbo. Is 3000 to high running down the highway ?

Its hard to say, but these engines are not high speed diesels. 3000 would be the max I would run them in short bursts, not continuously for hours.
None of the Japanese car companies (or LR) had good diesels in the 2.0 To 2.4 litre class in the 1980s. They all had old fashioned engines from the 70s with turbos added. The engines were largely designed for small pick ups and delivery vans. They go forever on farms at low rpms.

I have the 2LTE, and I've definitely run it at 3000rpm for hours in a row. Usually I do this when I'm towing because I'm down one gear. To be honest, the engine loves it. EGT's are low, and I still get great fuel economy. I've done the big end bearings on mine and a lot of other major maintenance and there are no signs whatsoever that this had been hard on the motor. Peak power is up around there too.

For non loaded cruising I'm closer to around 2400rpm (in over drive running around the speed limit).

Do you have the rocker head 2LT, or the shim over bucket 2LT-II? (pre 1990, or post 1990?). The later model might be happier revving high, I don't know.

I have the 2LTE, and I've definitely run it at 3000rpm for hours in a row. Usually I do this when I'm towing because I'm down one gear. To be honest, the engine loves it. EGT's are low, and I still get great fuel economy. I've done the big end bearings on mine and a lot of other major maintenance and there are no signs whatsoever that this had been hard on the motor. Peak power is up around there too.

For non loaded cruising I'm closer to around 2400rpm (in over drive running around the speed limit).

Do you have the rocker head 2LT, or the shim over bucket 2LT-II? (pre 1990, or post 1990?). The later model might be happier revving high, I don't know.

It's a post 90 motor. I think you ran the numbers for me when i got the motor. I swapped the electric fuel pump out for a manual pump.

It's a post 90 motor. I think you ran the numbers for me when i got the motor. I swapped the electric fuel pump out for a manual pump.

Sorry, I forgot. I've chatted with a lot of people about these motors and have lost track of all the projects.

Generally IDI diesels do just fine at those rpms. DI motors run best a bit lower.

If you're running between peak torque and peak hp, you're just fine (2400-3800). Peak torque is best for economical cruising. The higher rpms are better for hill climbing or towing. To keep EGT's safe, you need those higher rpms under load anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom