Toyo Open Country AT3 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
Just had these tires mounted on my LX450 after 2 sets of Goodyear Duratracs in a 315/75R16. For some reason Goodyear discontinued that size in both the Duratrac and MTR, so I was forced into another brand in order to keep the size I wanted.
1st impression: much quieter on the highway than the well worn Duratracs. Tires are very well siped and handle well in the wet. Balanced with Hunter RoadForce balancer and the worst one took 5oz, which is pretty remarkable considering the size.
I'm hoping to get a reasonable life out of these. Time will tell.

My AT2's of the same size, have held up pretty well and it looks like the AT3 is an improvement, especially in off road durability and in snow performance which I'm sure you'll aprreciate in Jersey. I still have 11/32 left in tread depth on my AT2's with aprox 30K miles and purchased in 2015. I saw looking through some reviews and comparisons between the AT2 & AT3 that with the AT3, there's a difference in tread compound that is beneficial with cuts and scrapes and snow traction, but has shorter wear life. Also on road performance was slightly better with the AT2. But I think for over all performance, the AT3 is superior to the AT2. You should be pleased though, with these tires, IMHO.

Last edited:
These are the tires I am
Researching…. Looking at the 35x11.5x17 in c load. (2910 lbs rated) and weigh 63 lbs. the 35x12.5x17 e rated are 65 lbs and rated at 3190. I have a gx470 and don’t tow heavy or often when I do and like the idea of the c rated aired down for traction, I like the skinnier size of this tire. I like the Baja boss at tire better, however toyo has better sizing options for me. Baja boss claims widest wheel on the 255/85/17 (35x10x17) is 8” and I have scs wheels that are 8.5” wide.

Can anyone explain why toyo gives approved wheel width of 7.5-10” on their 11.5” wide 35” tall tire and mt Baja boss claims 8” max width for 10” wide 35” tire that’s e rated? Seems like if toyo allows for 1.5” skinner wheel, why does Baja boss max out at 2” skinner wheel than tire width? I just worry about airing down and losing a bead.

These are the tires I am
Researching…. Looking at the 35x11.5x17 in c load. (2910 lbs rated) and weigh 63 lbs. the 35x12.5x17 e rated are 65 lbs and rated at 3190. I have a gx470 and don’t tow heavy or often when I do and like the idea of the c rated aired down for traction, I like the skinnier size of this tire. I like the Baja boss at tire better, however toyo has better sizing options for me. Baja boss claims widest wheel on the 255/85/17 (35x10x17) is 8” and I have scs wheels that are 8.5” wide.

Can anyone explain why toyo gives approved wheel width of 7.5-10” on their 11.5” wide 35” tall tire and mt Baja boss claims 8” max width for 10” wide 35” tire that’s e rated? Seems like if toyo allows for 1.5” skinner wheel, why does Baja boss max out at 2” skinner wheel than tire width? I just worry about airing down and losing a bead.
I think Toyo's concern is more for even side to side tread contact than bead loss. Too narrow of wheel rounds the tread and more wear in the center of tread. Too wide and the opposite could happen. True, you can adjust the psi, but many folks are negligent with attention to their psi.

Air down once and you’ll notice the huge advantage off-road lol. Less risk of punctures, softer ride, more traction. But yes it’s time and you need a 150 compressor to air back up.

Maybe Baja Boss puts a higher priority on looks. Square sidewalls look better, but offer less rim protection off road. And yes, I'm well aware of the advantages of airing down off road. On pavement performance can be had with matched tire and rim width, but not sure if it's measurable. I cite an example with my brother-in-law's F250. He increased his rim width with a different set of wheels, by an inch with the same tires (they were Les Schwab's Open Range). He claimed the truck rode and cornered better, but personally, I couldn't tell as a passenger riding with both sets...lol. They looked better with the square sidewalls, though...lol

Well, even with my current 285 ko2 width on the 8.5” wheel I scuffed up my wheel last time off-road. So I do wonder about the 10” being too skinny!

I forgot to mention the toyo at3 in the c load 35x12.5x17 is only rated at 2400 lbs per wheel!!! That’s also why the 35x11.5 c load is amazing considering it must be built completely different to rate at 2910!!!

These are the tires I am

Losing a bead is a fairly common issue when aired down significantly so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Get the tires you want and be prepared. I can't recall how many times I've lost beads over the years, but I tend to air down more than most.

If I understand you correctly your saying in either tire choice case I’ll likely lose a bead so just be ready to respond to it?

If I understand you correctly your saying in either tire choice case I’ll likely lose a bead so just be ready to respond to it?
You can lose a bead on any tire with any rim given the correct circumstance. I run custom beadlock wheels and have lost beads. Inner bead unseated on a very difficult trail. I have a York OBA setup, so I was able to reseat without much drama. In fact I have reseated the majority of lost beads over the years with the exception of a severely bent rim. That's why we have spare tires.

You can lose a bead on any tire with any rim given the correct circumstance. I run custom beadlock wheels and have lost beads. Inner bead unseated on a very difficult trail. I have a York OBA setup, so I was able to reseat without much drama. In fact I have reseated the majority of lost beads over the years with the exception of a severely bent rim. That's why we have spare tires.
Brings up a good point. What I've gathered from your post, is current beadlock wheels only beadlock the outer bead. Hadn't thought that through before. The outer should keep the tire from rotating independent of the rim or visa versa. But that still leaves the inner bead exposed to bead loss on severe terrain when running extremely low psi - say less than 6 - 8 psi. Is there beadlock wheels available with both sides of rim beadlocked?

At 20psi it’s all good for anything I’ve ever done, but I’m not interested in destroying my vehicle so maybe I’m just missing out?

Brings up a good point. What I've gathered from your post, is current beadlock wheels only beadlock the outer bead. Hadn't thought that through before. The outer should keep the tire from rotating independent of the rim or visa versa. But that still leaves the inner bead exposed to bead loss on severe terrain when running extremely low psi - say less than 6 - 8 psi. Is there beadlock wheels available with both sides of rim beadlocked?
I think there are 2 manufacturers that make dual bead locks. Hutchinson and someone else. One of them is a low profile inner tube design that puts pressure on both beads from the inside. Both are (IMO) prohibitively expensive.

Mine are made from off the shelf Procomp steel wheels with a weld on bead lock kit. They only clamp the outer bead like most bead lock wheels. I typically run 12-13 PSI in the woods. The pressures you run will depend on many factors, as one cannot generalize.

The Toyos are for street use and light off road on my OEM rims.

small.jpg

The Toyos are for street use and light off road on my OEM rims.
Can you run those Toyos with bead locks? I guess more to the point, is there such a thing as bead lock compatible tires or can you run bead locks with most AT & MT tires? I'm trying to remember if there was any info about bead lock compatible with my Toyo Open Country AT2's when I got them. Mine are also on my OEM rims.

Can you run those Toyos with bead locks? I guess more to the point, is there such a thing as bead lock compatible tires or can you run bead locks with most AT & MT tires? I'm trying to remember if there was any info about bead lock compatible with my Toyo Open Country AT2's when I got them. Mine are also on my OEM rims.
I'm pretty sure you can run any tire with bead locks. However there is also the "street legal" issue as most bead locks are not. Mine see very little road time, as they're for my Swampers.
Personally, I would not be comfortable running non-street legal rims. Not because of getting stopped by police, but for liability reasons. Same reasons I don't disable or modify the ABS system. The LX450 is our road trip vehicle and my daily driver.

Discount is showing the oc at3 315 75 r16 to weigh 66 lbs.

Does that seem light to anyone else?
Light weight is a pro until it's a con, obviously.

Thoughts fellas?

Discount is showing the oc at3 315 75 r16 to weigh 66 lbs.

Does that seem light to anyone else?
Light weight is a pro until it's a con, obviously.

Thoughts fellas?
Maybe a few lbs. Tire Rack specs them at 69 lbs

They look like a great option, and they're available in my favorite snowflake size 295 75 r16. It's these or ridge grapplers for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom