Used tyre disposal levy (Australia) - how does it work in your country ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a new AT tyre fitted to a factory landcruiser rim yesterday. Local tyre place - really awesome service. Go there all the time for tyre and related stuff.

Got talking about tyre disposal... The company they use that does tyre recycling has recently been bought out by a bigger 'player' in the industry and jacked up the costs - it's now $7 per car tyre, $15 per 4wd/suv tyre, and for truck and earth moving equipment tyres up to $250 for the mandatory 'disposal levy' that is required by law to be passed onto the buyers whenever they get old tyres removed and new tyres fitted.

I've never seen the actual industrial process of what happens to used tyres other than the trucks that pick them up. But for the amount of used tyres at the place yesterday (they said it's a week's worth - around 200 tyres), and there are many thousands of tyre places just here in Australia, that's a massive waste problem. I won't get into the religious view that tyres are no good after 5 yrs. :cool:

Remember recycling industries only exist if the businesses that go into it can make profit, otherwise tyres would not get processed and the materials re-used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom