Toyo AT3... Which Load Rating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided Im going with Toyo AT3 275/65/18s for my stock wheels when the 2" Dobinsons lift comes in.

Having a hard time deciding which load rating I should go with. The truck will see 80%+ street time so logic says to go with the SL tires but would going up to a C or E rating destroy on road ride quality and/or mileage?

One of the things that make me laugh is how sensitive some peoples asses are regards to ride. I just went from the stock 18 inch wheels to 17 inch wheels, which should have made for a much softer ride. They are the same SUV type tires, not truck tires. I can't feel any difference.

If your off road time is light trails, and you are not heavily loaded, I doubt you need E rated tires. I used to have 1 ton trucks. I loaded them to the max. I needed E rated tires.

A soft sidewall will ride better, and get damaged by rocks easier. Do you rock crawl?

I doubt what ever tire you use, if it is the same size, will change gas mileage much.

I just has 285/70/17 Cs installed last week. Still trying to decide if I should have went with Es. They feel a little more squishy in corners than I want. Previous tire on this GX470 were terra grapplers which I did not care for but they did not feel squishy in corners. I had 285/70/17 E Falken ATW3 on my previous 4runner and I did like the E on that.

I have had LT/E rated 275 65 18 Toyo AT3's on our's for over 20K miles. The wife and I love them. They are a rougher ride than c rated but it does not bother us at all. I would never go back to less than E rated.

I'm happy with my C rated Falkens. I ran the numbers in the E rated tires, and they are way more than overkill on my rig, even aired down., from a weight perspective So I guess it depends on how you plan to build, use, and drive it. E rated BFG MT in 255/85/16 on my 80 series hardly changed sidewall shape when totally flat. Like most, the overwhelming vast majority of my miles are on highway, so I went with C rated. They deform well at 16 psi. If I had my way, I'd run the D rated Nitto TG I had on my 100 for 10 years, in 295/75/16. Seems that middle ground is getting harder to find as wheel sizes increase.

20210426_101644.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom