Towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know the standard towing capacities for the F engine FJ40? I am thinking of pulling a tent trailer, but I want to know what my limits are!

If I were guessing, 3500#...however, if you still have 4-wheel-drums, manual steering, and the 3-speed tranny, I wouldn't even push it that far.

What does the trailer weigh? ???

995# empty. max filled weight is supposed to be about 1700#. Sounds well withing your guess range, Woody. Anyone found the "official" number in a manual somewhere? It wasn't in my owner's manual that I could see, but I think I saw it in print somewhere, sometime.

Well, I found an answer to my own question. Rockymountaincruisers.com gives a towing capacity of 3000 lbs, just about what Woody said, in their "did you know" section. Thanks for the info, Woody. I have to agree that I would not push it to that limit, but at least it is a place to start. If someone else needs this info it will be here for them someday. ::)

For many years, until recently, Toyota did not recommend or endorse towing of any kind. Common sense needs to take over in this case.

I regularly tow a 500# trailer with a 500# atv on it. I also have manual steering with 4 wheel drums that require pumping. Its not fun. Plan on 6-8 mpg and I hope you have a big bladder and a small appetite cause you ain't gonna want to stop anymore than you have too. :( :eek:

I have to say my bladder isn't what it was when I was your age, Bailey. :p
How is it going up those Georgia hills?

And, for that matter, going down?

What would be your recommendation as to common sense, Dan?

Anyone found the "official" number in a manual somewhere?
Yes, It is:
Maximum Braked Trailer weight is 2,000kg
Maximum Unbraked Trailer weight is 750kg
Maximum Ball Weight is 100kg
it's the same for all 40/45/47 and 55 Series.

Hey, thanks, Jonathan.
Where'd ya find those numbers?

Dave,

Jonathan summed it up nicely. I would have said "class 1"
which ammounts to a 1500 lb trailer weight and a 150 lb tongue weight. Remember that you need to be able to stop the whole train safely. I'm sure you'll agree it doesn't matter how big the motor is if you can't stop it.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=3673;start=0#msg27087 date=1058327744]
I have to say my bladder isn't what it was when I was your age, Bailey. :p
How is it going up those Georgia hills?
And, for that matter, going down?
[/quote]
Whenever I am pulling my ATV its always north into the southern Appalaichians.
Up is not that bad, so far I have not had to drop to 2nd gear
Down is much worse..... :eek:

Bailey, I take it your trailer doesn't have brakes, so you are doing all of the stopping with the cruiser drums. From what Jonathan and Dan are saying, it appears any trailer over 450 lbs total trailer and payload needs to be braked.
Am I right?

Dave,

Not exactly. Jonathan said 750KG "un-braked",that works out to 1650 lbs. I was thinking "class1" which is 1500 lbs. About the same. IIRC, trailers grossing over that ammount are supposed to have brakes of some kind, surge or electric or however they do it. My boat trailer (appx 3700lbs w/boat) has surge brakes.

Dan.

Dan,

I see! Thanks. So Bailey Should be ok, except it sounds like the downhill runs are pretty scarey for him. Well, the trailer I am thinking of taking has some sort of brakes on it, so I should be well within those margins Jonathan mentioned, if I wire correctly. Except, 1986 standards would mean front disk brakes (or would it be 4 wheel disks?). Would that make a difference? What if I don't wire in the brakes? Do you think my drums would be OK for a 1000 lb+ trailer over any distance?

Dave-front disks do make a difference, properly working drums around town aren't that bad, but fade worse than disks. If I were you for peace of mind I would definatly do your best to wire up some brakes. I'm towing around 1000# when I pull my trailer, its alright, but no party. I just always make sure I have a lot of space between me and the person in front, and many of the highways I drive on are 65 mph non-limited access, so there are stoplights, thats the worse part. Wire up the brakes if you can, if not, you will just be white-knuckling the steering wheel a little more than you would like and you'll have a sore right leg for the first coupla days. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom