towing with a fj80 3fe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i need to find a new home for a 20 ft trailer home and was thinking of using my fj80 to pull it:hmm:. the trailer weighs in at 4025 lbs..my question is can this be done with my fj80 with a 3fe?:confused: what is the factory towing capacity with the 3fe? it must be atleast 3500 lbs i would imagine..
it is also a jdm spec if it makes a difference.

thanks..
\

tows great

From the trailer hitch - not sure bout the pintle hook up - you can pull 5000Lbs. Is your weight fully loaded or not? Would recommend finding a way to increase horse power for hills & passing

That trailer will be towing your 80 backwards down any hill you start up. Just kidding. It depends on how far you're moving it. If you are taking it just a few miles and can have another car follow behind you with emergency flashers on, go for it. Take it really slow and keep the rpms up, no overdrive. The flatter the terrain, the easier this will be on your truck. Plan your stops as that trailer will take quite a while to stop. What part of the country are you in?

im in montreal quebec canada. im going to be towing it about 120 km and its a flat road all the way except for the champlain bridge which isnt that much of a hill..yes its on a bolt on to the frame hitch not a pintle hook to the bumber. and the 4000lbs trailer has a electric braking systeme..my rig runs great to just did a major tune up, spark plugs, wire,cap and rotor new oil pan gasket and oil change, valve adjustment and valve cover gasket and cleaned out the intake manifold along with a new air filter. also did front and rear drive shaft seals and changed the gear oil. brakes were rebuilt last summer but do need to throw a set of pad in the front. my leaky exhaust was also done recently. all parts are oem only, i dont trust aftermarket..always had problems with aftermarket..

USA has the cruiser rated at 5000lbs, ROW is 7500lbs IIRC.

You'll be fine. I towed an FJ40 on a dual axle car trailer over the Pocono mountains with my 91. Yea, you'll go slow on the uphills, but you'll make it just the same.

That said, I do keep her running well and all systems are functioning properly. If your cooling system and brakes and tranny are in excellent condition, you'll have no issues.

take it slow and you'll be fine.

Towing?

Well I have to down shift to make it over big hills...lol I'm not towing anything. Maybe my utility trailer, but that's under 1000lbs.

well nobody posted that it cant be done.. so its a go on monday..kinda getting excited..

Hate to start a new thread, and this one is perfect.

Going to Florida, a 3000 mile round trip, to do some work and I need to get a smaller trailer to haul my tools down and back. Looking at a trailer that weighs 1100 lbs, probably about 2100 lbs with my tools in it(trailer has a GVWR of 2990 lbs). No trailer brakes on it, but its not that big either(6x6x12 foot long).

1992 3FE, 335,000 miles on it. Runs great and mechanically sound. It has the OME 863 in the back, so the tongue weight and some gear in the back should level it off nicely. My questions are, exspecially for those 3FEr's who have towed.

Braking, is it going to suck royally and be unsafe? I know it will take longer to stop, but coming down the smokies, will I die in a fiery wreck? Brakes are in tip top shape, but the trailer has none.

Power. I know the 3FE has way more powah than needed, and going over the smokies I'll most likely be in 2nd gear, but will interstate speed be way hampered? I imagine 65 mph will be my top speed, I have to make it there and back with no major problems, so absolutely no flogging. Will I be able to hang with the grannies in the slow lane?

Anyone between WI. and FL. with a used but running 3FE in their yard or garage feel free to PM me in case she goes and I need to do a roadside repair, but we know that ain't going to happen. Will she make it? Any bets?

I towed 6000 lbs on a dual axle trailer through the Ozarks with no problems with my 3fe, long hills you'll max at 45-50mph and it will get old on a long trip. Noticed little difference braking, even with very worn rear drums. Had a guy pull in front of me doing about 25mph while I was doing 60mph, it locked up all four wheels but was very controllable and kept me out of his rear end. It's more of a test of your patience than the truck IMO.

Last April I towed my M416 (with a new box steel frame) filled with 5 36" Swampers from Jersey to Moab and back. I set the Cruise control to 68 for 3 days and just Cruised.
It was slow going up to the Eisenhower Tunnel, but really fast coming back down ;)

You'll be fine.

Anyone between WI. and FL. with a used but running 3FE in their yard or garage feel free to PM me in case she goes and I need to do a roadside repair, but we know that ain't going to happen. Will she make it? Any bets?

I'm your huckleberry.

I'm in Auburn AL and while I'm not looking to sell, anything I have has a price... Lorena is loaded on a trailer and ready to go if you need to buy parts off of her!

When I bought it, I dolly'd my Scion tC with it back a few hundreds miles and zero issues.

30507_395920792420_501052420_399649.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom