towing the GX 470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep in mind that whatever you're towing the GX with the towbar should be as level as possible (within 2-3"). On mine it would have been too out of level. So I flipped the baseplate upside down and it came out perfectly level. I had to drill one hole through the frame on each side.
Thanks for the tip,,,interesting idea to invert the baseplate.

The PO of my GX had cut the bumper. When I installed the baseplate upside down the tabs came just below the bumper where it was cut.

bumper copy.jpg

The PO of my GX had cut the bumper. When I installed the baseplate upside down the tabs came just below the bumper where it was cut.

View attachment 3224768
That looks great, what year is your GX? Blue ox baseplate for the 06?
would love to be able to set mine up, I hate running into neat roads in our ford flex and having to turn around...

Doesn’t seem to be a good place for the 6 way receptacle.
Where did you put it? i was wondering where the heck to stick it reading the manual. It seems like its easier to flip the bar and have everything right under the bumper.

Whats the pre/post tow routine and rest stop idle length and duration?

For example, currently towing a 2016 ford flex.
Doing this based on ford manual:
get car up to operating temp, idle in drive and reverse for 5 min to get everything lubed.
stop every 6 hours to repeat warmup/idle procedure.
do not exceed 65mph (I try…)

just re read and saw the flipped bar needs a bumper cut. Tempting.

what are you doing for lights Corey?

Whats the pre/post tow routine and rest stop idle length and duration?

For example, currently towing a 2016 ford flex.
Doing this based on ford manual:
get car up to operating temp, idle in drive and reverse for 5 min to get everything lubed.
stop every 6 hours to repeat warmup/idle procedure.
do not exceed 65mph (I try…)

just re read and saw the flipped bar needs a bumper cut. Tempting.

what are you doing for lights Corey?
I looked at the bar upside down. Decided against it.

I didn't install the plug anywhere as I couldn't decide what the best way to do it was. This led me to looking at the wireless magnet lights which require no wiring. I will go with those and use a brake buddy in the short term. Once I have towed for a while and love it (I assume) I will play around with the Demco stay and play brake system and light wiring,,,

As for the process, won't find it from Lexus I don't think,,,I will just follow what others here have suggested.

Just flat towed 09 Gx470 up the east coast. Towed smoothly with no issues on the road. Question for those more experienced, when I put the transfer case into neutral I first put the trans in neutral, wait a few and then shift the transfer. Most of the time no grinding. However when I then put the trans in park I do get a grind. Normal?

Ended up installing baseplate inverted. Didn’t even have to cut fascia to make it work, just a small cut to access umbilical connector and breakaway that I mounted on top of oem bumper. Height is perfect for my class C, no need for a drop hitch.

Is there a way to lock the doors with key in the ignition? I’m not a fan of having my toad unlocked. Tried using another key fob and it does nothing when I hit the lock button. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed with programming.

Just flat towed 09 Gx470 up the east coast. Towed smoothly with no issues on the road. Question for those more experienced, when I put the transfer case into neutral I first put the trans in neutral, wait a few and then shift the transfer. Most of the time no grinding. However when I then put the trans in park I do get a grind. Normal?
I get a little grind.

IIRC I had a non-chipped key made to leave in the ignition for towing on my 2006. I used the other key to lock the door using the keyhole once it's closed. Don't forget to turn the ignition off when you stop for the day.
BTW I may be selling my 2006 this summer. Not using it enough to justify keeping it. Thought I'd use it for off-roading but with a Ranger and RZR side by side I'm using those more.

IIRC I had a non-chipped key made to leave in the ignition for towing on my 2006. I used the other key to lock the door using the keyhole once it's closed. Don't forget to turn the ignition off when you stop for the day.
BTW I may be selling my 2006 this summer. Not using it enough to justify keeping it. Thought I'd use it for off-roading but with a Ranger and RZR side by side I'm using those more.
Either chipped or non chipped key will allow doors to be locked manually.

Now…about that grinding 😫

Manual locking of the doors is the way. “Grinding” doesn’t happen if engine is off when you shift it. Pushing about 150 miles on it now.

Only issue was a brake lockup following a fast stop (someone slammed on their brakes in front of me) on my first tow. Gotta pump those brakes a lot more than my brake buddy does...

Got the diffs, transfer case and everything else fluid changed out and lubed up and ready to put about 5k on it in a few weeks when we head to WY. Can’t wait to hit Beartooth hwy with my GX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom