Tools... what to double up on what to cut loose... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sure this is a forking fork-full from the can of tool-worms....
What should you have two of? (I am thinking at least two crescent wrenches)
What should you ditch? Anything SAE?
Any magic tools that you would not think to put in your pack?
This is the majority of what I have for my home clutch of tools....
(You cannot opt to delete the Jai Alai IPA- very important for post-op tool maintenance)
2020-08-03.jpeg

That's all you got?

When it comes to tools I don't ever get rid of much. Extra screwdrivers and wrenches can be bent, cut and or welded into custom shapes.

Ratchet straps. Soooo useful.

When it comes to tools I don't ever get rid of much. Extra screwdrivers and wrenches can be bent, cut and or welded into custom shapes.
Me neither. I never get rid of a tool until it cannot be used for any other purpose. I have been known to start additional toolboxes/bags with extras. But reality is when I outgrow a toolbox, it's an excuse to buy a bigger one or another one.

Specifically, what I am trying to get at is what tools do you have in your truck? (Sorry, I failed to mention this key element) What would you take on the trail with you? I'm trying to outfit my runner.
Would you bother with SAE?
Do you pack more than one socket wrench? Two crescents??

I also have a hard time getting rid of tools.....:arghh: I feel like the Junk Lady in Labyrinth....
8e2b379f8f81d301a6e83ce84d3a11a0.jpg

In your truck I wouldn't think you need much SAE stuff at all. I like to carry a 12 and an 8 inch adjustable. I actually carry way more than I will ever use so I can't be too much help. Nice shotty though, but I prefer a beater AK. I don't have to worry about beating it up and making it ugly and it's pretty reliable
15965631372678988846435301505551.jpg

The only SAE I can recall in my truck is a 5/16" gear wrench. I have a lot of 1/4"x20 hardware, mostly on the roof rack.

In your truck I wouldn't think you need much SAE stuff at all. I like to carry a 12 and an 8 inch adjustable. I actually carry way more than I will ever use so I can't be too much help. Nice shotty though, but I prefer a beater AK. I don't have to worry about beating it up and making it ugly and it's pretty reliable View attachment 2393520
Is that a Yugo??? Agreed...... my Super 90 is my absolute favorite gun, and sortof a safe queen-maybe queen of the safe rather-But I am not afraid to bounce with it.. or shoot the crap out of it.

Is that a Yugo??? Agreed...... my Super 90 is my absolute favorite gun, and sortof a safe queen-maybe queen of the safe rather-But I am not afraid to bounce with it.. or shoot the crap out of it.

It is a mutt. Romanian barrel and barrel block, Romanian foregrip, Hungarian butt, Polish style receiver. Mother-in-law stayed a weekend and I needed something to do so I put spare parts together.

To answer your original question for tools in the truck: I bring 2 sets of metric box/open end wrenches (8 mm - 19 mm). I have a short and deep metric socket set. I bring 3 sizes of crescent wrenches, a broad selection of slip-joint, channel lock and vise grip pliers. Wire stripping/crimping pliers, hammers, pry bars. 1/2" breaker bar, large sockets for the breaker bar that fit the big things on the truck, various screwdrivers of various size, length, flat and phillips. Interior panel clip/popping tools, awls, picks, grabber tool, extendable mirror, multimeter, electrical butt splices in various sizes. Electrical tape. Duct Tape. Ratchet Straps. I don't have a dedicated toolbox for the truck. when I'm going out for a drive, I just open every draw in the big toolbox and pull things that I think are more likely I will need. I don't have enough spare tools to make a separate vehicle toolbox. And the last time I had one, someone decided they needed it more than I did and smashed an expensive window to steal some cheap speakers and cheap tools. So I don't keep any tools inside anymore except when I'm going wheeling or camping.

To answer your original question for tools in the truck: I bring 2 sets of metric box/open end wrenches (8 mm - 19 mm). I have a short and deep metric socket set. I bring 3 sizes of crescent wrenches, a broad selection of slip-joint, channel lock and vise grip pliers. Wire stripping/crimping pliers, hammers, pry bars. 1/2" breaker bar, large sockets for the breaker bar that fit the big things on the truck, various screwdrivers of various size, length, flat and phillips. Interior panel clip/popping tools, awls, picks, grabber tool, extendable mirror, multimeter, electrical butt splices in various sizes. Electrical tape. Duct Tape. Ratchet Straps. I don't have a dedicated toolbox for the truck. when I'm going out for a drive, I just open every draw in the big toolbox and pull things that I think are more likely I will need. I don't have enough spare tools to make a separate vehicle toolbox. And the last time I had one, someone decided they needed it more than I did and smashed an expensive window to steal some cheap speakers and cheap tools. So I don't keep any tools inside anymore except when I'm going wheeling or camping.
Thanks! Very helpful!
J

It's easy, just use the tools you need for your normal 4Rumner projects at home. Then have that exact set in your vehicle for trail repairs. if it all possible, don't use the trail tools as your garage tools. Yeah you will have double tools but once you have your trail tool set up it should always stay in the back of the rig.

The exception being the gigantic socket for the front hub, it's too rare of a tool and it should always be in the back of your rig. Borrow it from the rig use it, then put it back in the rig. Good chance you may never use it for your own use, but if somebody else breaks something on the front end on the trail you can help out and contribute. You also need a gigantic wrench handle for that socket 🤣

Disclaimer: I have had quite a few shots of whiskey from the neighbor camper so I hope this all made sense!

I would double up on condoms. I saw a guy in Vermont once on tv banging it out with a bear and the world can't afford another cross mix Big Foot. We already have a tough enough time trying to track down the 1st one. God only knows how much he owes in property taxes!..... oh, and 10mm socket's. those bastards always seem to disappear like Big Foot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom