Tools for birff job (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that it's cheap, but I would highly recommend the industrial size box of disposable gloves. They will save you immeasurable time and aggravation as you move from grease to FSM, to computer, to lunch, to...

I probably went through close to a 100 size box (but I am a bit of a :princess::D)

Box of 100 at Harbor Freight will run you about $8 bucks. Worthy investment. You'll use most of them!

You're going to need an assortment of brass drifts, a few medium/large zip ties, a (30x2" ?) PVC pipe, a seal puller/installer, and a piece of 6x8x2" piece of wood.

I'd also order a few extra wheel bearing seals, a few drive flange bolts, axle clips and the Marlin HD inner seal.

Well, I got my call back from Dan and placed my order. He didn't have an opinion on the Marlin seals since he had never installed them let alone seen them so I decided the OEM ones have worked for 157K miles they should work for another 150K.

So now what are the large zip ties PVC and wood for?
I wasn't really posting this thread to put together the full list of tools, because I thought I had it, but rather to ask about a few parts. But I am glad you Birff Vets are chiming in with things that helped you out.

To put on and take off the birf from the shaft - layman terms. Use the large PVC to separate the two - hard trust on the ground with the shaft inside the PVC. There's a pesky ring to replace and a zip tie helps hold the new one in place.

Best lousy description I can give you.

To put on and take off the birf from the shaft - layman terms. Use the large PVC to separate the two - hard trust on the ground with the shaft inside the PVC. There's a pesky ring to replace and a zip tie helps hold the new one in place.

Best lousy description I can give you.
Agreed,

The fastest way to seperate the birfs from the shaft. The longer side came off with 1 drop, but the smaller one took 3-4 tries for me.

Lowes hardware sells the pipes in smaller incriments, i think either 4-6 ft.

Although I replaced both my rings, the old ones were in perfect shape. Good trail spares.

LMFAO! Mark

Funny, I bet Brent remembers how many yards the 4th hole is on his favorite golf course!

Just over 420 yards into the wind, #1 handicap hole, sand trap at about 240 on the left with a large coral tree blocking any decent sand shot from there, creek running down the entire right side, bunker front left of the green, green slopes back to front w/ mound on the right. Takes a good drive and a hybrid 5 to reach the green on an average day. :flipoff2:

Rounds of golf at ENCC...too many to count. Number of Birf jobs - 1. :D

I think 1 1/2" thick PVC. I can check lateron when I get home.

Jeez Harry, ruin a perfectly good hijack with relevant information to the thread. :clap:

OK, so a question on the grease, I was looking yesterday as I went to three different auto part stores to get the shop towels, degreaser and a cleaning tray. And the Valvoline Synthetic has no info on it like the others. The others say for Ford & lincoln, or Japanese vehicles, or for wheel bearings or for heavy load. Then some say Molly Grease ER or some initial.

Anyway way one of the stores had the Valvoline Synthetic for $6 while the other two had it for $8. So that will be $12 saved.

OK, so a question on the grease, I was looking yesterday as I went to three different auto part stores to get the shop towels, degreaser and a cleaning tray. And the Valvoline Synthetic has no info on it like the others. The others say for Ford & lincoln, or Japanese vehicles, or for wheel bearings or for heavy load. Then some say Molly Grease ER or some initial.

Anyway way one of the stores had the Valvoline Synthetic for $6 while the other two had it for $8. So that will be $12 saved.

some of these lube brands have a toll-free number where you can talk to a tech and ample web sites

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom