too much spare time I think.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is this going on? There was a bit of turbo talk a few weeks back but it was met with mixed responses. Keep us posted!

:D Hmmm BBQ my fav ;)

for those interested...

EF Ford Falcon Bosch injectors (6)
EF Falcon throttle body with the IAC (stepper motor)
EF Falcon Air Temp sensor
EF Falcon Fuel pressure regulator
2 Nissan Turbochargers (with 02 sensor) off VG20 motor
A subaru liberty water to air intercooler
Looking at running kalmaker injection www.kalmaker.com.au
Landcruiser 3F distributor with 1984 Toyota Cressida Internals (Magnetic type electronic ignition) with the associated Cressida coil and hardware (Currently running for 2 years in truck without trouble)
standard EF falcon Plenum chamber with custom bottom runners.
Custom oil cooler.

I have recently installed a late model clucth (off a 83 fj45) with 2200 pounds of clamp into the ute (i think standard clutch around 1200-1400)... to test run before the turbos are put on - already been to fraser is with it :) (FI, the worlds largest sand island)

Hoping to only run around 5-6 psi of boost. Look at the length of the inlet runners, hopefully it will be a torque monster :)

:cheers:

eh, an aussie??? building a twin turbo 2f? i like it... take plenty of picks, and do a write up if you would like to please, i was thinking of turboing the 2f next year when i got the cash to do it... even if it just ends up blowing the 2f to justify a diesel swap :)

It's not a BBQ, it's a plasma engine !

What is a EF Ford Falcon? Which year? Which engine?
Did you change cam timing?
Do you have picture of the throttle body?
I will come back with simulated engine results :)

[quote author=Perfect Obsession link=board=1;threadid=14903;start=msg140165#msg140165 date=1082126183]
It's not a BBQ, it's a plasma engine !

What is a EF Ford Falcon? Which year? Which engine?
Did you change cam timing?
Do you have picture of the throttle body?
I will come back with simulated engine results :)
[/quote]

The EF is a 1995 Aussie 6 cylinder 4.0 ltr. capacity out of the local ford falcon. The cam in the 2F engine is standard and will be left as is for the mo'.

Cheers for the sim results :D

here is a site I just found with a few more details of the EF.... http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts/falcon/effalcon.html

There are an absolute heap of these things down here and the part for them are very cheap.. thats why I used as much as I could.

best pic of the throttle body i could find....

here is a pix of the flange i had laser cut for the head... I drew the plan up in autocad and sent it through to a local guy here to do... It came out excellent... better than i had hoped really. I have done all the pipe work to date in the garage here :D

sorry guys... here is another... This is the bottom of the inlet in a jig I made. This is before I tacked it together..
I guess I should put all these pix on a web site. I have a few hundred pix of this stuff...

The manifold is actually upside down in this pic.. the flange to mate to the ford plenum was also laser cut

mate the work you have put into that is awesome. can't wait to hear how it runs

the ef falcon is an aussie car, runs a derivitave of the old 250 straight six found in 64 mustangs :)

Amazing work!
I ran the engine simulation starting from stock 2F, adding approximated intake/exhaust geometry, water intercooled twin-turboed fuel injection system and electronic ignition.

The following graph and data refer to torque/HP curves.
- Stage 0: stock '78 Canadian with electronic ignition
- stage 1: TBI and tuned intake/exhaust geometry
- stage 2: approximative (upon photo) intake/exhaust geometry, electronic ignition, typical water intercooled "meium-sized" twin-turbos fuel injection system with wastegate set to 6 psi

Data & Graph

Great project!! Question: what is the advantage of twin turbos over a single turbo -quicker spoolup? Or is it because the engine capacity is relatively large? What cpmpression ratio are you running? Did you have to add any additional capacity to the engine cooling system? Does your engine management system have a knock control feature? Very interested in investigating turbo installation on my own 2F motor. :cheers:

[quote author=Perfect Obsession link=board=1;threadid=14903;start=msg140238#msg140238 date=1082133216]
Amazing work!
I ran the engine simulation starting from stock 2F, adding approximated intake/exhaust geometry, water intercooled twin-turboed fuel injection system and electronic ignition.

The following graph and data refer to torque/HP curves.
- Stage 0: stock '78 Canadian with electronic ignition
- stage 1: TBI and tuned intake/exhaust geometry
- stage 2: approximative (upon photo) intake/exhaust geometry, electronic ignition, typical water intercooled "meium-sized" twin-turbos fuel injection system with wastegate set to 6 psi

Data & Graph
[/quote]

Good Stuff :D Now your talking!! I have been kinda guessing what power this setup might make. I am happy with the curves it produces even thou it falls off at the end. I was never intending on over reving it at all, and was trying to try to produce some decent numbers in the 1500-2500 range where I like to run it. Thanks Heaps for that.

:D cheers

[quote author=landcruiser link=board=1;threadid=14903;start=msg140339#msg140339 date=1082145237]
Great project!! Question: what is the advantage of twin turbos over a single turbo -quicker spoolup? Or is it because the engine capacity is relatively large? What cpmpression ratio are you running? Did you have to add any additional capacity to the engine cooling system? Does your engine management system have a knock control feature? Very interested in investigating turbo installation on my own 2F motor. :cheers:
[/quote]

lots of qs here that will start the debate... ;) twins vs single... hmmmm.. Prob have to say personal choiced and once the choice is made just to do it and keep going :) Doesn't matter which way you go if its not finished...

I believe it will have a quicker spool up than a medium/large single. I wanted to build a motor that had heaps of torque (as low as possible) and a little more HP to push it both on the road and on the track. As these turbos are off a 2L nissan engine, they are very plentiful as people upgrade to the larger sizes for their cars. The plumbing on the twins is a little more difficult, but at the end of the day when the weldor is out there isn't that much more. I think it will work out cheaper for me running two turbos (given the very low cost of these - $250 aud each) as I am doing the fab myself and one good thing is that the turbos divide the heat generated that increases longevity of them...

The compression ratio is standard as it is relatively low boost and intercooled as well - should even be able to run it on standard ULP. I have already added an extra row to my radiator previously that really works well now (had trouble previously). I Will be running an oil cooler as well. Yeah I believe it does run a knock sensor but from previous posts I have read, I have the impression that these engines are too noisey to run one properly. I will try to disable it in the beginning - as have not got this far yet ;)

Corky Bell's maximum boost is a great book, suggest a read to anyone considering this, the other site I have used to get ideas on manifold manufacture is http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm (they also have a page on making a inlet mainifold)

Nice concept, but wrong engine. I wouldn't take bets on how long the lower end stays together at full boost. A better choice would be a GM 300 I6 which has 7 main bearings as opposed to the 2F with 4 bearings.

[quote author=Pin_Head link=board=1;threadid=14903;start=msg140427#msg140427 date=1082154625]

Nice concept, but wrong engine. I wouldn't take bets on how long the lower end stays together at full boost. A better choice would be a GM 300 I6 which has 7 main bearings as opposed to the 2F with 4 bearings.
[/quote]

You forgot about the poor oiling :D Lots of reasons why not... But I have two good engines and one for parts.. Hope for the best and plan for the worst ;)

Great answers to all my questions Barpzio. I've already read Maximum Boost as you suggested. My biggest question was really the twin turbo setup versus a single turbo. Although you are correct about each turbo being exposed to half as much heat as a single unit, it is also only getting half as much exhaust energy. As far as the added stress on the main bearings, I don't believe that is going to cause any problems at 5-6 psi of boost. A bigger concern with turbo installations is the air/fuel ratio under load.

You building a race car or a cruiser? How much low end torque you going to have on the trails? Not a slam, just curious

Twin instead of single: in supplement to other comments, I would add that you eliminate front and rear bank's intake interference. Relative to firing order, why split intake plenum is better than single intake plenum? Because cyl 1,2,3 are separated by 240 crank deg as er cyl 4,5,6.

Concerning compression ratio, I will come back with the estimated maximum dynamic compression ratio. Preceding Graph & Data were using 9.5:1 Next simulation will use 7.8:1 stock compression ratio.

Concerning the targetted rpm (1500-2500), I am simulating this setup with different cam timing and lifting. The intake/exhaust valve mach numbers determine the peak torque/hp rpms which depend on cam timing, lifting, ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom