77 2f timing chain cover leaking,I think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curtislow

Third fj40
Threads
Hello everyone,

As usual I'm fixing something I paid someone who was supposed to know more than me to fix. So I have a good oil leak coming from the timing chain cover,it wasn't quite as bad as it is now but leaked right after I had the engine rebuilt ( and it weren't cheap ).
So, how hard is this job and is it more likely the seal behind it thats leaking?

So, how hard is this job?
It might be as easy as taking out the bolts that hold the cover on, putting some thread sealant on them and re-installing them in the correct holes.
It might be my favorite, where the oil squirter is threaded in too far...that one is a PITA.
You need to try to pinpoint the site of the leak, between the cover and the plate or between the plate and the block.
How fast is the leak?

It should not be that hard to fix the leak. Unbolt the cover and clean the gasket surface on the cover and also on the block and reseal.

There is no timing chain it has gears.

It’s like a :banana::banana::banana: job

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2641.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

IMG_2623.jpeg

IMG_2621.jpeg

Hello everyone,

is it more likely the seal behind it thats leaking?
There are at least half a dozen different reasons for an oil leak in that area. All of them have very different causes.
You can start with the easy stuff or jump straight into a 3 banana job, whichever is your style.
Also, snug up your oil pan bolts too.

It might be as easy as taking out the bolts that hold the cover on, putting some thread sealant on them and re-installing them in the correct holes.
It might be my favorite, where the oil squirter is threaded in too far...that one is a PITA.
You need to try to pinpoint the site of the leak, between the cover and the plate or between the plate and the block.
How fast is the leak?
I will try and pinpoint it. Thanks
I'm kinda a two banana mechanic. Looks like a lot of dismantaling but I think thats where I'm at now . Thanks

I will try and pinpoint it. Thanks

I'm kinda a two banana mechanic. Looks like a lot of dismantaling but I think thats where I'm at now . Thanks
2 bananas? So you can pull your crank pulley off?
I might start with reading up on those little bolts at the bottom of the cover. Theres, like, 4 or 5 of them that are different lengths and have to go in the correct holes. Some need thread sealant, some don't. It's easy to get them mixed up. Easy to fix too.

My thoughts on it are that if you have an abundance of oil leaking from the timing gear cover you may have the deeper problem. The only oil getting into the gear cover is from the gear oiler and that should drain back through the oblong drain hole beneath the crank gear. So maybe the gear cover gasket is defective or loose, or the drain hole is plugged, or your timing plate gasket is defective causing the leak. You may have to pull the crank pulley to access all of the fasteners that hold the gear cover in place? Mine was leaking like stink and it was difficult at first to tell if it was the gear cover or the timing plate gasket. But once you pull the crank pulley you might as well go all the way!
Seems on a rebuild all of those seals should have been changed anyways?

This is what a 40 year old timing gear plate gasket looks like…….

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2635.jpeg

My thoughts on it are that if you have an abundance of oil leaking from the timing gear cover you may have the deeper problem. The only oil getting into the gear cover is from the gear oiler and that should drain back through the oblong drain hole beneath the crank gear. So maybe the gear cover gasket is defective or loose, or the drain hole is plugged, or your timing plate gasket is defective causing the leak. You may have to pull the crank pulley to access all of the fasteners that hold the gear cover in place? Mine was leaking like stink and it was difficult at first to tell if it was the gear cover or the timing plate gasket. But once you pull the crank pulley you might as well go all the way!
Seems on a rebuild all of those seals should have been changed anyways?

This is what a 40 year old timing gear plate gasket looks like…….

View attachment 3364183

View attachment 3364184
It sucks that the only reason I had it rebuilt a few years ago was that I didn't want it leaking all over the garage and driveway,it was running pretty good. What a waste of money that turned out to be. I figured at the time I'd just bite the bullet while I was repainting and not have to start ripping it apart after putting so much work into cosmetics.
I think I can do this job just gotta get the time to dig in. Thanks for the info. everyone.

What a waste of money that turned out to be.
Probably not.
And stopping oil leaks is half your job. After a rebuild there are a few follow-up jobs. Re-torquing the head, the manifolds, just about everything actually. You need to put a wrench on just about every bolt and nut and give it a twist. Some might feel loose, snug them down. Especially everything that has a cork or paper gasket.
Like your oilpan. And the timing cover and side cover. An oilpan leak can mimic a front cover leak and vice versa.
Snug up everything, clean the area well and keep a close eye, like run it and watch to see where the oil comes from.

Probably not.
And stopping oil leaks is half your job. After a rebuild there are a few follow-up jobs. Re-torquing the head, the manifolds, just about everything actually. You need to put a wrench on just about every bolt and nut and give it a twist. Some might feel loose, snug them down. Especially everything that has a cork or paper gasket.
Like your oilpan. And the timing cover and side cover. An oilpan leak can mimic a front cover leak and vice versa.
Snug up everything, clean the area well and keep a close eye, like run it and watch to see where the oil comes from.year old tecnology.
Guess I kinda forget its 50 year old technology. I'm spoiled. I'll give everything a snug up and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom