Too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I stumbled across a local 2000 land cruiser for sale with 159k miles on it. She looks ok except there is, to my eye, a lot of rust underneath. What are your thoughts? Don't seem to be any other real problems and it has a great service history on the carfax.

I'm mechanically capable of fixing just about anything else that may be wrong with the car but the rust really puts me off. Given how rarely these come up for sale, especially in my price range, I'd like to pursue it but don't want a POS.

Is this worth buying/having someone fix the rust or should I walk away?

IMG-0484.jpg

IMG-0485.jpg

IMG-0486.jpg

IMG-0487.jpg

IMG-0488.jpg

Run away. Fast.

Edit: there is substantial body rust in those photos. You couldnt give that to me for free.

Yikes.

That truck got more rust than the Titanic, wow...looks like the under carriage was deep fried or something, everything is crunchy.

That is the worst one I have seen. I wouldn't take it if they gave it to me. Run! Sorry.

I don’t understand why folks even consider a truck with rust(especially that much). Travel south/southwest and get a rust free truck. It might cost a few bucks for a flight and gas back home but who cares when you’re spending 10-20k of a truck🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah that looks worse than my truck and im in CT as well. Do not get that unless its free.

I wouldn't even get into the truck without several tetanus shots!

What are they asking for this pile?
$9k. The salesman had another customer and since I showed up unannounced, I made it a point not to take time away from his real customer. We talked minimally and I didn’t ask about the rust underneath. When I got home I sent him an email with my concerns. Tomorrow the truck is leaving to get valve cover gaskets, rockers and a rear hatch lever. I’ll let you all know his response to my email

My test drive was solo and went really well. That rust is a bugger. If he legitimately fixes it, I will remain interested but for now I’m not

On a serious note, I think we have a new “how bad is this rust” thread on this forum just about every day. These are my favorite threads. It’s nice to give people advice to buy or to walk away. I always look out for these threads and try to comment as much as possible. The truck you posted, easily one of the most rotted 100 series this forum has seen. I can think of maybe one other truck here that was a good amount worse. Just walk away from it dude and stop thinking about it, you do NOT want to buy that.

On a serious note, I think we have a new “how bad is this rust” thread on this forum just about every day. These are my favorite threads. It’s nice to give people advice to buy or to walk away. I always look out for these threads and try to comment as much as possible. The truck you posted, easily one of the most rotted 100 series this forum has seen. I can think of maybe one other truck here that was a good amount worse. Just walk away from it dude and stop thinking about it, you do NOT want to buy that.
Thanks. I won’t give it any more thought. If he emails me back I’ll post it

there are some sequoias for sale near me. I assume if I like how the LC drives, I’ll like the sequoia?

Thanks. I won’t give it any more thought. If he emails me back I’ll post it

there are some sequoias for sale near me. I assume if I like how the LC drives, I’ll like the sequoia?
Never driven a Sequoia so can't comment. My advice, take a couple days off work, search the whole country for a 100 series in your price range. Search the southern and western states that don't salt, fly out and drive it back. I did that and a plane ticket is less than $200 to most places and will take you 1-2 days to drive back. I drove back from Vegas to Chicago in 20 something hours without stopping to sleep. Couldn't find anything rust free in Chicago, they are all rusty piles.

Never driven a Sequoia so can't comment. My advice, take a couple days off work, search the whole country for a 100 series in your price range. Search the southern and western states that don't salt, fly out and drive it back. I did that and a plane ticket is less than $200 to most places and will take you 1-2 days to drive back. I drove back from Vegas to Chicago in 20 something hours without stopping to sleep. Couldn't find anything rust free in Chicago, they are all rusty piles.
If I was specially LC hunting I would. But really I just want a large reliable v8 suv for under $10k. There’s an ok 100 in York PA. Asked for a Carfax because they didn’t post one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom