Todays wrenching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Juniors Transmission Repair shop dropped off a package this Sunday.
Started modifying the case so the drive shaft flanges will fit. Have to
carefully grind metal away. Need to order a new clutch disk and do
a few other things before it goes back in. Still don't know if the drive shafts will
fit.
1tcase.jpg

so purdy:cheers:

Do you have the plate or Advance adapter for the sm? I ask as with my soa, spring flip and SR my shafts will not fit. Might have some you could use to get you through the gathering. If you have the advance kit (for the pto style) , they should fit.

My truck was sua with about 5" of lift, and the advance style PTO for the SM.

My truck will not be done till 2018 anyways.

Might have some you could use to get you through the gathering.

Yeah we already heard that you won't be making it out to the FG this year. You will be too busy playing pit crew for some VW loving hippies in the south west.

With Rick's help we finished tearing down the rest of the motor. It looks pretty good inside. I probably should have left well enough alone. :meh:

The bearings have a little tearing (I'll post pics later) and the lifters have a little pitting but other than that its great. Going to clean it up and put in new bearings, rings, lifters, cam can call it good. :D

Juniors Transmission Repair shop dropped off a package this Sunday.
Started modifying the case so the drive shaft flanges will fit. Have to
carefully grind metal away. Need to order a new clutch disk and do
a few other things before it goes back in. Still don't know if the drive shafts will
fit.

Looks great Lane....though that SM420 should have a PTO slapped on the side for future pig spit turning.

Yeah we already heard that you won't be making it out to the FG this year. You will be too busy playing pit crew for some VW loving hippies in the south west.

As it turns out, plane tix to vegas are foolishly expensive. Unless there is a drastic price drop just before the event, I will be coming out and shooting with my new lil HD camera.

I have to grind off about an 1/8 from the side of the tranny to get the clearance I need.
I ordered a new clutch disk (66 Chevy pick-up) and that will be here tomorrow. Also
ordered a Speedi-Sleeve for the driveshaft flange so the rust and grooves don't wear out
the new seal. Started building the shifter plates for the T-case. Of course my cheap grinder died today so I have to pick up a new one tomorrow.

Lane...I have a spare 4spd tcase shifter from a 74 tcase...all painted and such. s***, I think I powdercoated some of the pieces. Can you make use of it?

Lane...I have a spare 4spd tcase shifter from a 74 tcase...all painted and such. s***, I think I powdercoated some of the pieces. Can you make use of it?

I'm good with shifter parts, thanks!
Just need to build a mounting plate to bolt to the tranny
to hold everything together.

Time for a Guinness!
Have to shorten the rear shaft about an inch, drop that off tomorrow.
Just need to put things back together. While it was apart I also replaced
the solenoid on the starter. Inspection on the 28th. I just might have
it ready for the FG.
1atran.jpg

looking good Lane!!!

getting ready to do the clutch. got the trans hump and the driveshafts out.

How much time will it take to do new seals on the trans and xfer? How long/ difficult is doing a rear main seal? Which of these should I 100% do since I have the trans out?

getting ready to do the clutch. got the trans hump and the driveshafts out.

How much time will it take to do new seals on the trans and xfer? How long/ difficult is doing a rear main seal? Which of these should I 100% do since I have the trans out?

Rear main, pull the pressure plate, pop the seal out, replace. 30 minutes? You going to do the pan seal too?
Can probably do everything in a weekend.

you can get plastigauge at Napa. It comes in different colors for different ranges. The 96 manual describes using it but for the year of that mill it might not have been even invented, I don't know.

I'll be in Pawtucket Tuesday night and can bring some along and explain how it is used.

I take back my earlier statement. I saw it at Napa a few days later.

Today I put my trailer back together after three years and dragged a bunch of limbs I cut to the tfer station. My wife was with me and we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies with the windshield down, dragging this stuff to the station. Me in my flannel carharrts that I wore while using the chainsaw and she in her hoodie and Pats hat. She couldnt get over how many people were staring at us. I didnt know if it was because the 40 doesnt look like everything on the road, or because we were hauling junk Maine-style.

Been sick all weekend but managed to get out in the shop for a bit this afternoon.
Removed the tranny top plate, drilled and tapped a hole for the reverse/back-up light
switch. wired that up and it works!
Modified the t-case shifter. Cut a notch 3/4 of the way thru the base, bent it towards the
drivers side and welded it up. Notched the tranny cover so the t-case lever will fit. It sits
to the outside of the original hole. I'll have to make a plate to cover the old hole and come up
with some kind of boot.
Still have to get the Tuffy back in and the drivers seat. Attack the death wobble, get it inspected on Monday.
Time for some NyQuil.
1ashift.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom