Todays wrenching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

63D7904F-4258-43D6-AF55-E80011927B2F.jpeg
9BEC370D-DBF2-44D3-8D8A-CBE2DF39C513.jpeg
42” are Mounted RCV arw
On the way soon and high steer

Been enjoying having my truck back on the road, but lost speed yesterday, and directionals a little later. Going to have to pull the cluster and check out what's going on: hopefully it's just that the speedo cable came off, maybe knocked a connection loose at the hazards switch.

Been enjoying having my truck back on the road, but lost speed yesterday, and directionals a little later. Going to have to pull the cluster and check out what's going on: hopefully it's just that the speedo cable came off, maybe knocked a connection loose at the hazards switch.
Its usually the cable.

And she runs again. Replaced cam bearings #1-3 (had dropped oil pan and found #3 had partially spun) in situ in my driveway as well as connecting rod bearings.

A friend of mine said I’m tricking her out. Nah, just having fun!

02C3EB74-6C6D-4A9B-ADD2-CBFD2DDA3A88.jpeg

870B4500-F425-477D-BC8E-424A50DACF04.jpeg

Time to for me to get “JOJO” going View attachment 1786007
My truck and yours must have the same monster sized shackles. We both have a huge gap between the rubber and the edge of the well.

AC8A426F-7C89-455A-BF90-1849EE8F54B8.jpeg

Thanks btw for the kudos. Truck is running nice. Been driving it nearly everyday. Starts, stops, idles, revs all good. I added a stretch of straight pipe for now to below the passenger seat so it’s a tad less noisy. Be a bit before I can get the exhaust fabbed up but I’ll at least get a muffler on it sooner than later.

I just moved to the area, joined Yankee Toys and am looking forward to spending a day or so at the Fall Gathering in a few weeks. In preparation, I'm redoing my front axle. I've done them on my 60 and an 80 about 10 years ago. After getting in there, I'm glad I did as one side looked good and the other had the typical grease/axle fluid goo. I've read tons of write ups on the forum about taking apart the birfs and switching sides. What are your thoughts? Should I go to the effort of removing the birfs, repacking and switching sides. I don't see any wear, or damage or clicking. Thanks.

IMG_3386.jpg

Spent some time in the shop this weekend with my bro, visiting from TX. My dad swung over to help chase the rest of the rust on the rain gutter, and we got a coat of POR-15 on the whole gutter. My neighbor, Gordon, stopped over, too. He used to spend a lot of time in the shop when the previous owner lived here still, and it's fun to hang out with him and hear his stories.

IMG_9173.JPG
IMG_9161.JPG
IMG_9168.JPG
Some more rust work on the top cap, then POR-15, then on to priming with a high build epoxy primer before assembling, seam sealing, priming, and paint.

I just moved to the area, joined Yankee Toys and am looking forward to spending a day or so at the Fall Gathering in a few weeks. In preparation, I'm redoing my front axle. I've done them on my 60 and an 80 about 10 years ago. After getting in there, I'm glad I did as one side looked good and the other had the typical grease/axle fluid goo. I've read tons of write ups on the forum about taking apart the birfs and switching sides. What are your thoughts? Should I go to the effort of removing the birfs, repacking and switching sides. I don't see any wear, or damage or clicking. Thanks.

View attachment 1792997

you need to take apart the birfs to properly clean them and repack them. switching side is nothing that ive ever done.I don't see the need.

Finally got the axles put back together with new seals, bearings, rotors and pads. I buggered up one of the hub seals, so I had to wait on another to arrive from Mr. T. I also knocked a bit of the rust off the axle and treated with Ospho.

When installing the birfield, the manual says to put the flat spot on top/bottom. I forgot and monkeyed around with the long axle for a bit until I got it in. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the flat spot on top. The other side went in easy with flat on top/bottom. I'm assuming that is not a huge issue since the birf is spinning inside the housing anyway, correct? Thanks.
qwbMlXNLSV6IwOCxRiz3hw.jpg
iP8y5yW2STyRuXjIgPxFWw.jpg

Finally got the axles put back together with new seals, bearings, rotors and pads. I buggered up one of the hub seals, so I had to wait on another to arrive from Mr. T. I also knocked a bit of the rust off the axle and treated with Ospho.

When installing the birfield, the manual says to put the flat spot on top/bottom. I forgot and monkeyed around with the long axle for a bit until I got it in. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the flat spot on top. The other side went in easy with flat on top/bottom. I'm assuming that is not a huge issue since the birf is spinning inside the housing anyway, correct? Thanks.
View attachment 1798213 View attachment 1798214

You're correct, flat spot top and bottom is only to install the axle. One inside the ball all is well. Most important is properly set trunion bearing preload, and making sure the knuckle studs are fully set and locktited.

You're correct, flat spot top and bottom is only to install the axle. One inside the ball all is well. Most important is properly set trunion bearing preload, and making sure the knuckle studs are fully set and locktited.
Thanks. I was hoping someone would say that.

Got a bit more work done on the metal parts for my hard top, and started getting the doors ready to go back on. Some broken fasteners from the PO, but most came out OK.

IMG_9450.JPG
IMG_9443-1.JPG
IMG_9440-1.JPG

Looks like a great project! Is that the one that was on Craiglist in western CT?

It sure is a project. Yes from ct. I couldnt pass up. Barely a spec of rust.
20181018_165324.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom