To Shackle or not... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting one of the Ironman lifts. While I am installing the lift, should I replace the shackles?

I am shooting for about a 33 inch tire. On road (pavement, gravel, washboard etc.) driving is important to me as well as trail performance.

The CCOT 1.5 inch shackles caught my eye. If shackles are a better way to go, should I get anti-inversion shackles? (I did read the thread under FAQ).

Is it not that big a deal to install shackles at a later date (after the lift is installed) ?

Thanks

i personaly think it depends on how the spring sits when your done with the install.
1.5" longer will prolly be the max amount depending on the size of the lift.

I put the 1.5" CCOT shackles on with the ironman lift and believe it will fit 33s no problem. I'll be able to tell you for sure after this weekend. I would suggest rear brake lines if you do it, need to order those myself.

I ordered the shims, but need to order the longer spring pins and/or drill out the hole in the shims. Too small for the pin on the ironman springs. I'm going to try an alignment first, my understand is that if you don't go over 2" shackles you do not 'need' the shims.

Side note, after beating on my old shackles to get them out for the lift I was glad to have new ones. As it was I had to cut off the ends of the spring pins to remove the damaged threads. You probably will have to do the same to the shackles if you reuse factory.

I have 1 1/2 inch ccot shackles and 33 and they fit great. I didnt have to change anything else. You can do it later but you might as well do it now to save the effort without much more $$

OK. I think I will get the CCOT 1.5's with the greasable bolt (I assume that is handy). Should I also order all new bushings and extended brake lines for the front and rear?

The Ironman lift comes with bushings, if I use those, do I just need 8 additional ones for the top holes in the shackles?

Thanks again

yes to the bushings if the lift kit only comes with spring bushings.

Lift kit comes with enough bushings to replace the ones on the frame. No need to buy more!

i replaced my shackles with greasable stock length from MAF. check out my pics on the "ironman baby" thread. i got 4 inches of lift from my flat springs and i have 33x10.5's. i did not want any taller as i like the more stock look. i have lots of room in the wheel wells for the 33's.

BruceW said:
Thanks for all the info--it's very helpful.

Bigbrown--are those 33's on your truck in the pictures?

yes. 33x10.5 bfg at's, stock 15" wheels, 2"ironman lift, stock shackle length.

i just finished installing them last night so i'll check it out this weekend. there seems to be plenty of clearance though just by looking. i'll post flex pics this weekend.

bridges said:
Lift kit comes with enough bushings to replace the ones on the frame. No need to buy more!

All 24 huh? Even if the shackles are not part of the lift? That's cool

I was impressed as well!! Didn't come with enough nuts and washers for the ubolts, but who cares about that little oversight? Who needs ubolts? :doh:

They were very responsive about that, should be here tomorrow. I called the number on the UPS label and they answered and shipped the missing parts that day.

Also, the factory ubolts will still fit with this kit if you have to get back on the road...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom