To cruise or not to cruise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landcruiserdc.com
So for the last 10 years or so I've been able to work from home or had a company car. Needless to say I've never put a lot of miles on my vehicles. My company wants me to come to the office everyday which is roughly 30 miles each way. Of course this is for a promotion as I wouldn't do it otherwise! Lol question is should I drive my cruiser everyday and put a ton of miles on it or invest like 10k on a used corolla/civic as my commuter car? Gas and wear/tear would be better on the latter choice and I could focus on the cruiser with lifts and fun stuff. Am I over thinking this and just enjoy the cruiser everyday and not worry about it? I do plan on keeping it for a long time. Thoughts?

I tapped into a bottle of one of my prized bourbons tonight and had the same thoughts "save it or enjoy it". I say enjoy it.
I drive mine 23 miles each way to work everyday and don't even think twice about it. It looks awesome, I look awesome in it, and I love driving it. When its time to replace it I'll do it and drive that bastard all day everyday and do it all over agin. Theres one opinion for you.
cheers

If gas money is no object, continue to drive the 200.

For your situation, I myself would be driving a civic (just for long commutes). Money saved could go towards building your 200. Just my $0.02.

ETA: I should clarify--I would NOT sell my 200, just commute in something more fuel efficient.

Last edited:
I've struggled with this several times in the past. I recently bought a 200 but before I did I considered several cars to buy in lieu of the 200. At the time, I owned (still do) an 80 and a 100 with the 100 being my primary. I justified considering a car so long as I kept one or both of the Land Cruisers because I have to have at least one truck for the farm, towing boats/trailers, the dogs, et cetera.

At the end of the day, I decided I didn't have room to park an additional vehicle at home and bought the 200 as my primary. I'll sell the 100 sometime soon, I'm keeping the 80.

And way back in my head, this justified buying a "fun car" that I could keep stored in my warehouse..... like a BMW 2002 to similar.

Of course, I haven't shared any of this with my wife...

Drive the crap out of it! That's what it's made for.

well I agree with Willy, and I drive a lot around Texas, and love doing it in my LC. If you buy another car, you a) will need a place to park it, (ok if you have 3 car garage (PITA if not) b) If you spent $400 in gas a month which would be high, that's $4800 a year... a used Civic/Corolla that's in decent shape will cost you around $8-10K plus gas for it...plus insurance .... I say not worth it, enjoy the Cruiser, put miles on it, which you can easily put 400-500K on one with no major issues, then buy another one !! That's my plan (well actually my 12 year old daughter says she wants my cruiser when she turns 16...I say fine, then I go get another one for me :) )

My 200 is my everyday car/truck and our weekend vehicle to go skiing. I have only a 20 mile commute. The mileage is terrible but I certainly feel safe in it with the family. 20 years ago when I did drive a Civic coupe there were far fewer Escalade ESVs, Suburbans, Danali XLs, Navigators on the road. At least now I'm of equal mass.
The Land Cruiser on the Highway is a pleasure. I'm not sure what suspension you have. If you feather the throttle you can manage 18 mpg. Don't expect much more. I avg 12mpg with mixed driving. The 13 has synthetic so you can stretch your oil changes a little. Not sure what Toyota recommend for Synthetic. I do 7,500 with Mobil one but if it goes over I'm really not concerned. The oil at 7,500 looks new. Crystal clear. If you're not sure use Blackstone and have in anayzed. Make sure your alignment is perfect so you don't eat tires. Park in a spot away from idiots.

I'd say buy a $10,000 toy that you can enjoy on the weekends or drive to work once a week on really nice days. Even better, buy a toy that both you and your wife can enjoy or take a couple vacations. The mileage does not depreciate the LC as much as lesser vehicles. I'd consider anything under 100K and less than 6 years old not broken in yet.

Best of all you'll look forward to your ride home and your baby. If there's traffic, pull over, reach into your cool box and crack open a drink, "for emergency use only." Civics don't have this useful feature.

If you love it, drive it.

Thanks for all the initial responses. I am torn. With not having a commute for a long time I've become accustomed to just not driving much and I look for things to do just to drive the cruiser around. My biggest concern is the wear and tear even though it can handle it. For me the LC is my dream car and could be my weekender garaged car for trips and tailgating. Maybe drive the cruiser once a week to get my fix and when snowing. But have the car I don't care about take the daily abuse. Garage Space, insurance is not an issue. I've got till the end of the year before i make the transition.

"The 13 has synthetic so you can stretch your oil changes a little. Not sure what Toyota recommend for Synthetic. I do 7,500 with Mobil one"

Are u sure the '13 has synthetic? I know my 4Runner does but I am about 99.9% sure the LC does not. 4Runner is recommended every 10k miles.

The '13 LCs run synthetic with a 10,000 mile change interval for the US spec models. Getting ready for my third change in mine next week.

my Toyota dealership has me coming in every 5k for my 13' :meh::meh::meh:

I guess I assumed that they have me coming in every 5k miles that it was conventional. Need to call the dealer to confirm they did synthetic. Just did 10k change last week. My 4runner they will only do at 10k.

my buddy has a new 4Runner, same thing, they will only do the free oil change every 10k, but my 13' Cruiser is every 5k oil change, so I guess I just assumed it's not synthetic, I'm gonna ask them next time I go in what the deal is???

A little off topic, but is the '11 synthetic? I assumed it was.

I agree to drive it.

I have two points...
  • It sounds like your 200 might be low-mileage, so why not bring the miles up to average?
  • In addition to our LC200, we have two Porsches. Just this summer, I converted the 8-year-old Boxster with <40k on the clock from a garage queen into my daily driver. I arrive home a little happier each evening after listening to the symphony of the flat-six engine behind me. Coming from somebody who has done it, I say yes, drive your favorite car and enjoy it.

11 is not Sythetic. I changed to synthetic when my free oil ran out and went to a 7,500 interval. My 1999 has had Mobil 1 from 25,000 onward and even that 15 year old truck has clear oil at oil changes. Anyone with an 08-11 should make the switch and buy your own oil at Costco/Sams.
I've also changed all lubricants to AmsOil and use Redline racing grease in all driveshafts and U joints at every oil change. I know off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom