To build or buy a diesel 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Duiser sold, as well as the Creswell. I live locally and I was looking at buying the creswell myself. Awesome conversion. I think the new owner lives in Seattle.

Duiser is owned by diesel adapters now.

Call Luxury Imports in Canada they can find you a HDJ80 from Japan Hi mile or low miles I spoke to Berne couple months ago and I think I'm getting one sooner rather than later.

Duiser sold, as well as the Creswell. I live locally and I was looking at buying the creswell myself. Awesome conversion. I think the new owner lives in Seattle.

Duiser is owned by diesel adapters now.

Interesting info. I was under the impression that they were still separate companies. Too bad the site still says sale pending. I wonder if the current owner is the same person who had the winning bid of $31k when it was on Ebay?

Last edited:
I think if your thinking long term, getting a stock diesel in either LHD or RHD is the only way to go. If you go LHD, I'll bet 10 years from now you will still be able to sell it for the same price you paid for it. Invest up front, avoid potential problems with a swap, and go OEM. I've been eyeing this one, but something doesn't seem right.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...hd/1075095612?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I think that one is scaring people with high miles AND auto trans. Darwink is also looking hard at that one ;)

I completely understand the diesel itch, having done a conversion in a 4runner I used to have, and currently owning a GREAT diesel vw.

But.. If you haven't yet done O2 sensors the rough idle may be easily fixable, and the rear main leak may not be a rear main leak at all. Likely valve cover gasket or one of the oil pan gaskets. I did my pan gasket at 283k miles and the rear main isn't leaking a drop. prev owner was like yours.. didn't keep up on maintenance, and said they definitely didn't do rear main. But.. these rear mains seem quality.

I only bring this up because having your truck run problem free certainly changes the equation, and that condition may not be as far off as you think.

That "Creswell" from Duiser was on Ebay some time back. I exchanged several emails with them about it at the time and they avoided several of my questions. The final bid on ebay was $31k but the reserve was $33k. They told me in one email that they had zero interest in negotiating a deal so it's hard to say if it ever sold for real. It was "sale pending" for quite a long time on their website if it isn't still. Also someone on this forum ended up with a Duiser built 6BT 80 series and it had some serious problems which is why the mud member got it cheap. He dug deeper and found even more problems. For those reasons I would certainly avoid Duiser.
Scumbags and crap work.

I previously owned a diesel 80 (5 speed 92 from Europe, basic model with barn doors and rubber floor). The 1HZ inline 6 cyl engine was very smooth, and got good mileage (around 20mpg highway). Darn thing had a timing belt though. Yeah, go stock if you can. I was lucky to get the 92, a serviceman had brought it back to Canada from the UK (but oddly enough it was LHD). Sold it in a fit of crazyness, wish I had it back... I don't know about RHD, I don't think I'd want to own one in N-A myself. Getting conservative in my old days I suppose.
I suppose that the 5mpg difference may be a big deal for some, but I don't know if it's THAT big, especially when the tide turns and diesel all of a sudden sells for a fair bit more than gas. And it seems to me that the 80 gas engine is one tough puppy with plenty of torque and pulling power, so not sure if a diesel brings that much more to the table. Anyway, good luck with your search.

COMPARING THE 1HZ AND 1FZ, YOUR RIGHT, BUT... ADD A TURBO.........

Everyone's input has helped me chose a course of action. I am going to get my cruiser running and DD reliable. I will mod it out how I want it and use it for the next couple of years. If after a couple of years of use and many trail miles I decide I still need a diesel I will import an OEM diesel and forego the swap. This does a couple of things for me. 1. It will make my cruiser easier to sell since it will be mechanically sound and 2. I will have a bigger selection to choose from because we will have more years to choose from... Heck, there may be one I want here by then. So, off to finish my snorkel install. Thank you everyone. Your suggestions have been a marriage saver, or saved me a few nights on the couch anyhow!!! Thanks again and everyone take it easy.

$35K for a diesel swapped 80, and no pics of the engine bay in that ad?!? ZERO?

Like I said, scumbags that do crap work.

So is this the same guy that once worked with guy that put out YouTube video on separating your birf from the axle with a piece of pvc pipe?

So is this the same guy that once worked with guy that put out YouTube video on separating your birf from the axle with a piece of pvc pipe?

I couldn't tell ya, but I've seen pictures of cruisers they've converted and I saw the way they conducted their business here on the forum and I'll go ahead and say it -- scumbags that do crap work. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade for what it matters, but I'm pretty sure anyone paying attention to the threads I saw would have seen for themselves.

You reading this Jonesy's Duiser Joel and friends? You're shady and shoddy, best of both worlds!

This is the guy I was talking about, I thought the Duiser guy used to work for him
https://www.youtube.com/user/lshobie
Maybe I'm wrong but the powermodz guy seems pretty straight up so maybe there isn't any relation at all between the two but I faintly remember a video showing the two.

You'll spend as much as $30-35k (duisers vehicle cost) on a diesel swap for your rig when it's all said and done. Don't go into it thinking you have any real control of price either because...you don't. It's such a major modification you'll find yourself saying "well, if I'm gonna do that then I need to do this". I'd also stay away from Cummins. As awesome as the Cummins motors are I've seen and been around multiple Cummins swaps including a couple from profits (which is out of business for likely this reason) and they were nightmares. All of the owners had some regret or, were still fighting the fact they did while chasing wiring and layout/functionality demons. Bottom line you own a Toyota because of how great toyota is; why are you going to stick something other than Toyota in your proven platform? I selected the 1HD-T for longevity, ease of information/parts/ease-to-work-on and the fact that it is an OEM plug and play (although that's really not the case unless you use a manual transmission. Which, in hindsight I strongly recommend). I could not be happier with the shop that did mine: Stoney's in Hobe Sound, FL. Although they will find an engine for you, in my case I found the donor vehicle and the rest is history. That's another good piece of advice: buy a whole vehicle if possible so you get all the related parts and wiring harnesses etc. It took me about a year but I found a parts truck that had non-engine related issues with only 130km on it for a total w/ shipping of about $11k. As far as cruiser specialty shops go Stoney's is extremely knowledgeable, gave me quality results and they're fair to work with financially. The end result is exceptional. I picked it up, drove it for 2 days locally and then 6k miles in 4 weeks including ALL the San Juan trails in CO without issues. See my build summary pics and registery info. As with most on here, I'm happy to answer questions. Frankly I'm a project guy and now that I've done the aforementioned trip I'd consider selling mine to build another but, it would be for a lot more than $30-35k... Good luck.

Last edited:
If you've been around so many swaps, undoubtedly you've seen the badges on the engine or side of the vehicles, spelling it out for you -- 'Cummins'.

You're spot on about the price and the 'while I'm torn down this far...' thing

As far as swaps, if you don't know what you're getting into when you have it swapped, then you have more money than sense. If you can do the swap yourself I'd expect you probably know what you're getting into. My guess is most the issues people have are a combination of lack of understanding and knowledge, thus not knowing what to expect, and s***ty shops doing sub par work.

http://dieseltoys.com/

they're out of San Antonio and charge $30k for their swaps. I've seen a few of their D4D Tacoma swaps, looked factory and they wheeled it with no problems. Other than that, I don't know much about them. The few people I've talked to seem to love them. The guys were nice and chill when we were wheeling.

They even put in a 1VD-FTV Into a tundra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom