TLCA Raffle Truck build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaleAle

MUD-aholic
SILVER Star
Threads
Fellow Cruiserheads -

TLCA has voted to postpone the ebay auction of the FJ40 that was donated by Mark's Off Road in order to allow the Capitol Land Crusier Club and the Bay to Blue Ridge Crusiers a chance to get organized to build the truck into a Raffle-worthy vehicle.

The truck was donated to TLCA by Mark Algazy of Mark's Off Road. The intent is for member clubs to team together and build the Land Cruiser as a fund raiser for TLCA. Funds raised will be used for TLCA operations as well as grants for Land Use advocacy groups such as Blue Ribbon Coalition, Save Tellico, etc. The timeframe we are shooting for is to have the truck built in 2011 and to show it as much as possible before holding the raffle drawing at one of the major wheeling events in 2012.

The truck is currently residing in sunny CA. CLCC is willing to contribute club funds to help cover the costs of trailering the rig from CA to IPOR in Frederickburg, VA. The logistics for this are being worked out.

As was discussed at the last CLCC meeting, several members from both clubs have already expressed strong interest in donating their time, tools, supplies, equipment, and spare parts from their personal stash for this effort. Iron Pig Off Road has kindly offered their shop in Fredericksburg, VA to serve as a home base to allow the Capitol Land Cruiser Club and the Bay to Blue Ridge Cruisers to team together on this project. This geographically central location will allow the majority of willing members from both clubs to attend scheduled work days to make this build happen. We can also trailer the rig to other locations for a few work weekends to give other East Coast club members a chance to participate.

I have a list of parts that will be needed as well as tasks that need to be completed. We will also be soliciting donations from vendors and service providers for outfitting the rig in a manner fitting teh proper use of a vintage Land Cruiser.

Send me a PM with your email address so I can send you the list if you are interested.

What year is the truck so we can tell if we have spare parts to donate?

Here is the list of missing or parts needing replacement that Mark supplied. Thanks to D'Animal for digging up this list:

Missing/Replacement Parts- 77 FJ40
Front Bumper (Winch ready?)
Tow Hook and bolts - donated by 76FJ40; need bolts
Headlight assys - donated by 76FJ40
Grill - donated by 76FJ40
All Emblems
Front Turn Signal assys - one assembly donated by 76FJ40; need a 2nd assembly
Hood Bumpers - donated by Trollhole
Hood Latches - donated by StaleAle
Windshield Latches - donated by 76FJ40

Windshield Bumpers - donated by Trollhole

Windshield - - donated by Woytovich
Windshield pad - donated by 76FJ40
All Windshield Wiper components
Motor - donated by Trollhole
Motor Cover - donated by 76FJ40
Wiper arms and mounting hardware - donated by Trollhole
Wiper blades
AC and hardware
Kick Vents - donated by 76FJ40
Door Hing Plates - from the donor parts truck that was donated by Dan of BigTow Auto Transport & Recovery
Running boards - donated by 76FJ40
Fuel Cap Door B] - donated by Trollhole[/B]
Rear side marker lights - from the donor parts truck that was donated by Dan of BigTow Auto Transport & Recovery

Rear Tailgate - from the donor parts truck that was donated by Dan of BigTow Auto Transport & Recovery

Spare Tire carrier - donated by 76FJ40
Spare Tire carrier latch - donated by 76FJ40

2.5” Lift Springs for front - donated by OffcamberFJ
4” Lift Springs for rear - donated by OffcamberFJ

We really could use some donations for the following items:

Fuel tank
Fuel tank sender
Need a 2nd turn signal assembly

Exterior below frame:
Knuckle Rebuild Kit
Front Wheel Bearings
Trunion Bearings
FJ 60 (Asian) Locking Hubs
Brake pads
Brake lines
Rotors?

Parking Brake Cable
Parking Brake Brake Shoes
U-Joints

HD Shackles, U-bolt Skid Plates and Bump Stop extensions - donated by Mark's Off Road
Spring Bushings - donated by 76FJ40's son Matt
Interior
We have front seat frames, steering column, steering wheel and a few knobs on the dash and a gas tank cover.
refurbish and replace missing knobs and switches - donated by Trollhole

We now have a roll bar - donated by Trollhole

2 Jump Seats - donated by 76FJ40; decent/repairable

Potential Enhancements provided appropriate parts are donated:
Power Steering - We now have a PS box - donated by John Embry

SOA

Last edited:
Suggested Tasks - This is Mark's assessment of what needs to be done. Thanks to D'Animal for digging up this list
010-Engine Tune up [need cap, rotor, points, plugs, wires, PCV valve]
020-Valve adjustment; install painted air cleaner and polished valve cover, air filter, valve cover gasket [TBD]
030-Oil & filter change, check motor mounts
040-Coolant and hose replacement [TBD] Front and rear heaters, hoses, ducts, connectors
050-rebuilt carburetor [supplied by Mark’s Off Road]
054-stock exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe [TBD]
056-stock gas tank [I think I have the cover somewhere!]
060-need some of the smog equipment, including air pump and hoses [TBD]
070-clutch parts [if transmission is removed for service] [TBD]
080-transmission resealed
090-transfer case resealed
100-rear end axle seals and pinion seals. WE NEED TIRES!
110-front axle knuckle service, possibly on a different axle housing
120-steering box resealed, center arm and tie rod ends replaced [TBD]
130-new bushings, shackles and shocks on existing or replacement springs
140-replace all hydraulic hoses with stainless braided lines and flush system, possibly replace calipers and rotors.
150-body. This is where it gets tough to get a complete list up front, but I will note the following

150-headlight buckets, bezel, bezel screws [ I can provide brand new sealed beam headlights]
151-hood rest shims, hood hooks, windshield hooks and windshield rest bumpers, hood hinge pads and screws
152-windshield frame [the one that’s on it is so, so] windshield glass, windshield rubber [I can provide this] windshield wiper motor and linkage, plastic defroster. Upper and lower dash pads Radio cutout insert or stereo.
153-the truck has no top or doors. I do not see this as a problem, as I envision the truck having a roll cage, which would be more prominently displayed without top and doors.
154-I have both front seats, but they will need to be reupholstered and need some of the brackets, as well as headrests.

156-carpet kit, stock running boards or sliders, transmission tunnel gasket

157-tailgate panel or functioning tailgate. Might want to leave this unmolested [with the holes for the amby doors] in case the owner wants to install a hardtop.

158-tire carrier [I have it, but don’t have the hook to latch it to, or the rubber stop that goes on the tub]

159-emblems. All missing.

160-Headlights [covered] Front and rear turn signals missing, as well as rear side markers.

163-Instrument cluster-doesn’t look original to the truck. I would recommend a replacement be located.

Last edited:
I'm in just e-mail me the list and I'll send what I can. Also if you want me to do this and you can strip all the parts down and we somehow get them to me I'll have them all replated in yellow zinc and sent back.

Here are 50 pictures of the 1977 FJ 40 Rig.

IH8MUD Forum

Holy crap! Seriously? That was considered a basket case? That is a very buildable cruiser. Considering it will be at IPOR I have no doubt that this will come out to be a fine cruiser.

raffle truck

I'm in and a agree with Marshall, looks like a pretty good start. Better than i was expecting for sure.

I agree.

Holy crap! Seriously? That was considered a basket case? That is a very buildable cruiser. Considering it will be at IPOR I have no doubt that this will come out to be a fine cruiser.

In order to follow the scope of the project and raffle this as a fully restored 1977 FJ40 with a mild lift and 33's, it will take a lot.

Don't forget, those of us that love Cruisers on the East Coast have a different standard as to what is restorable. We also have a lot of parts trucks to pick from.

I thought the same thing when I saw the pic's last year or when ever it was. Us east coast guys just wish we could find 35 year old rigs with no rust.

I agree.

In order to follow the scope of the project and raffle this as a fully restored 1977 FJ40 with a mild lift and 33's, it will take a lot.

Dan,

With all due respect, the cliche of "east coast mint" really applies here. I lived in LA and saw what was for sale there and for how much. You guys have it good! To a east coaster in the rust belt or north of it, this truck is a great find!

To someone in LA LA land (west coast) this is a hopeless basket case. To each his own!

update

Any news on the transportation of said 40, anybody post it on mud ship ? Is TLCA interested in helping to get it here ? :confused:

Our first preference would be hitching a ride back with someone returning from KOH. The truck can be started but the hydraulics have been drained so no clutch and no brakes. It will probably have to be winched onto a trailer.

Mudship is the next option.

I've talked to Mark A. about a 3rd option, but we need to explore the first two as the 3rd will take awhile.

There's actually a 4th option as well, a 72 hour road trip out and back with 3-4 guys driving in shifts....if we get desperate.

You will need more than 72 hours unless you are doing a Cannon Ball run! It took us 44 hours to get home from Yucca Valley last year and that was non stop driving (3 people) with little to no delays. Marks is about another 70-90 miles from there. I am trying to find a spot on a trailer heading this way, I will let everyone know if I do find a spot.

Rob

Thanks for your help in checking into this Rob. It is greatly appreciated.

Matzell

The rig is not at Mark's place. It is at my place.

For mileage calculations, figure Fresno, CA

Dan

ok, so add about 5 hours... one way, still checking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom