tires size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
??? hi

what is the max size tires i can use on the 6x16 wheels????

bye

Max section width should be in the 9" range. Height is "relatively" unlimited...

I always determine rim width as 66% of section, so a 33x9.5 tire means 9.5 x .66 = 6.27 rounded to 6". IMO, a 10.5 tire will be too wide for that rim, you'd need a 7".

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=6654;start=msg54375#msg54375 date=1066933320]40's need skinny tires anyway.

[/quote]

why do you say that? don't wider tires make it safer because of the short wheel base?

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=6654;start=msg54398#msg54398 date=1066937104]
why do you say that? don't wider tires make it safer because of the short wheel base?
[/quote]

Not exactly. Road manners are nicer for a narrow tire.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=6654;start=msg54375#msg54375 date=1066933320]
40's need skinny tires anyway.

[/quote]

For what? Going to school????

I like my 15x42x15 swampers, that yes, I do drive down the road, to work, to the trail, or getting my butt home after the pull rig lays down. So don't give me this crap about the truck not seeing the pavement, and poor road maners and blah blah blah..

you know my new 33x10.5 are very good for the drive to school and back. plus many ppl think that skinnies LOOK better on a 40

I bought BFG AT KO's 33x9.5x15 and I am very happy with them. A key factor is that I don't have power steering. These tires ride well and they were only $120 each installed at Big O

With wider tires you are only gaining a half inch per inch wider tire, less backspacing will net you more width, but with increased wheel bearing and knuckle bearing wear, and will worsen steering characteristics, and make your PS (or your arms in my case) have to work harder to turn the wheels in stationary situations (wheels are no longer just pivoting, but actually moving when turned) I lost an inch of width going to 33x 12.5 tires when I lifted my cruiser 4 inches, with no loss of stability, and I will venture to say that it at least feels more stable with the lift because my suspension now functions properly.

For what? Going to school????

I like my 15x42x15 swampers, that yes, I do drive down the road, to work, to the trail, or getting my butt home after the pull rig lays down. So don't give me this crap about the truck not seeing the pavement, and poor road maners and blah blah blah..
Yes Poser I bought my TSL's for my trip to school. :-*
You know I was not referring to you or others with rigs like yours when I made the comment about skinnies. You are running 42" tires for god's sake. 42x9.5 tires would be a little goofy now wouldn't it?
That said, driveability in my cruiser noticable increased when I switched from used up 33x11.5 A/T style tires to my current 33x12.5 TSL radials. (My TSL's are actually about an inch skinnier than the A/T's were ??? ). Most of this driveability improvement is probably due to less contact area on the tire itself, and hence the ability to run at lower pressures and still be able to steer the thing. (MS).
All in all, yeah width doesn't necessarily affect driveability that much.

Yeah, my 13.50's cover the surface area just fine. Skinny tires for skinny people. My 220 pound self needs "da big-uns"...........go wide or don't ride.
Lol I'm 240. I still like skinny tires. :cheers:

Here's what I meant:
I read in between the lines and assumed that the thread originator would have a nearly stock or stock truck since he's running the stock rims. 33/32x9.5's are ideal for a stock truck. Lets try putting 42x15's under a stock or 2.5 inch lifted truck and see how it looks/performs. I was not making a general statement applying to all cruisers, just the one in question. I would wait until you asked me before I told you what tires I thought you should run. He asked, so I answered him, not the entire cruiser community. :doh:
There you have it. Now go buy skinnies cause they are plain better. :flipoff2: :D
do 12.5's count as skinnies anyway? ???

Oh yeah not to mention fat tires on stock cruisers or near stock makes them look like budget-bumped chrome-wheeled Heeps. :D
DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU POSER!! :D

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=6654;start=msg54609#msg54609 date=1066960451]
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :p
[/quote]
I can play this game :flipoff2:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
:p :p :p :p :p :p
:flipoff2: :cheers:

i run 35x12.5 on 10" rims with the 40 and 33x10.50 on 8" rims on the 45 (both armstrong steering)and i cant feel any difference in steering effort on or offroad ???

Looks like the same reason my current tires steer better than my old ones, your larger tires are mudders=less rubber on the ground, smaller ones are A/t's =more rubber on the ground. Maybe the difference in direct road contact surface area makes up for the difference in size? Or maybe I am just overanalyzing this whole damn thing. :slap: :D

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=6654;start=msg54607#msg54607 date=1066960355]
Oh yeah not to mention fat tires on stock cruisers or near stock makes them look like budget-bumped chrome-wheeled Heeps. :D
DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU POSER!! :D
[/quote]

I have 31 10.5's and I was going to go with the 33 12.5's but I don't want to look like a budget-bumped chrome-wheeled heep ;) or is that the right amount of fat for a stock cruiser?

[quote author=toy974 link=board=1;threadid=6654;start=msg54233#msg54233 date=1066916602]
??? hi

what is the max size tires i can use on the 6x16 wheels????

bye
[/quote]
I agree with Woody. The 33 x 9.50 will fit nice on a 6" wide rim.

We should all give bailey a collective smack down 8)

My main question is how the hell did you end up with 6 x 16 wheels anyways?

33 x 9,50 BFG or 34x9.50 SS are the way to go. 10.50s will also work but I would go no wider.

The BEF 33 x 9.50 MT is the best tire I have ever owned or driven. I have had the same set on 5 trucks over 9 years. Sucks they dont make them anymore :-[

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=6654;start=msg54682#msg54682 date=1066969967]
I have 31 10.5's and I was going to go with the 33 12.5's but I don't want to look like a budget-bumped chrome-wheeled heep ;) or is that the right amount of fat for a stock cruiser?
[/quote]
:flipoff2:

:-[ whooooo!!

thanx to you all

as my english is not perfect sometimes i feel lost :whoops:

my cruiser is 2,5" shackles lift
and 1" body lift
my actually tires are 9" and it doesn't look so good, that's why i wanted larger tires
the only thing i wanna know is :do the 11" tires can fit on the lj60 chromed 6x16 wheels?
the body base has been cut from 3"

bye

OK, OK. So you want my honest opinion? As much as I work on this f*cker, I don't know why I even have tires on it.

There.....I said it. Guys and tires are like Chicks and Dicks. Some like it Long and Hard, and some just like to be Blown out 4 inches at a time.

Either way, I'm gettin mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom