Tires other than KO2 for the rain and snow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been reading through all the tire threads I can find, lots of conflicting opinions out there. Wondered if anyone had any recommendations or warnings for my particular needs:

Looking at A/T tires. Not a daily driver, mostly used for Forest service road camping, planning on pulling a small RV in the woods and a utility trailer around town. Most important to me is safety on roads at speed - It's rainy 9 months out of the year in the pacific northwest, some snow, esp when going over mountain passes. Looking for a tire that's good at avoiding hydroplaning and decent on snow and ice. Next is off road ability on rocks and mud, including sidewall strength/general puncture resistance. Less important to me are longevity, noise, price.

I've always run BFG KO and KO2s, though I lived in less rainy parts of the country then. Other tires I'm considering are Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Cooper ST MAXX, Toyo Open Country AT III, and Falken Wildpeaks. Duratracs seem to have a good rep in rain and snow, but worried about weak sidewalls.

Any opinions appreciated.

I've had very good luck in all weather conditions with the Falken Wildpeaks. I had MTs on my Ford Excursion, ATs currently on my FJ, and just added ATs to my 470...

IMG_3240.jpg

Ko2 is old stuff.

My at the top pick is Nokian Hakkas

Then in distant next places in no particular order:
Yokohama AT
Fallen At3w
Toyo At3

Lots of Forest Service trucks out here with Duratracs. Not sure I'd keep them off the list.

I've liked my Wildpeaks, I am on set #3. I did have a set of the Cooper AT3's, and I could see myself going back for another (they are usually on sale, but were not the last time when I was buying tires so got the WP's). The Coopers were quieter on road, balanced with less weight, were fantastic off-road and on-road in a variety of conditions.

The Wildpeaks are a good tire, but tires in the league you've listed are all going to be good (except Nitto's I've seen - terrible snow tires). The Falken sidewalls have been very durable even aired down low and in sharp rock. Every time I have gotten the tire protection certifications at Discount Tire and I have yet to use one. I think Falken did a nice job with this one.

I also second @hickuptruck on the Yokohama's - nice looking tire and have also heard good things.

I've had good luck at Discount Tire keeping an eye out for manufacturer promotions. This summer, every two weeks discount tire has done a $100 off flash sale for two days of the week. So, you can probably get a $50-100 manufacturer rebate and $100 from discount. When they offer the hazard certificates just say you're interested but probably not this time due to finances. They will offer it to you "4 or 5 for the price of one cert". Last time I paid something like $30 for certificates on all 5 tires.

Again, in this league, personally it comes down to what tire is on par with everybody else - and then who's got the best price.

So you've certainly run the KO2's in some rain, how were they?

Have you decided on a size yet? That will usually help narrow down your choices.

I'm running the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws right now in a 295/70-18 and I'm head over heals in love with them, especially since I spent about $80 less per tire than the BFGs were going to cost me. Super quiet on the pavement, excellent traction everywhere I have used them.

So you've certainly run the KO2's in some rain, how were they?

Have you decided on a size yet? That will usually help narrow down your choices.
I lived in California at the time, wheeled around the desert southwest mostly, so not a lot of rain. Usually when it rained, I was by myself and way out there, so I usually waited for it to dry up rather than risk getting stuck. I don't remember having any issues with rain when driving around town, but I also didn't drive that much, as I commuted by bike and train. I don't think I ever had them out in snow. Also, I had a small, lightly loaded Tacoma, which is a very different beast than the 100.

I'm using my stock rims, sizing up to a 285/75r16. All the tires I listed are available in that size. I'll be going with discount tire, having them price match if they're not the lowest. Online Tires has a 10% code right now, makes for the following prices for 5 tires, no mounting, fees, or tax:

Geolandar AT - 813
Terra Grappler - 928
KO2 - 957
Wildpeak - 972
Ridge Grappler - 975
Toyo Open Country III - 1018
ST MAXX- 1039
Duratrac - 1094 (after rebate)

All close enough that price isn't a factor in my decision.

Since I want an AT tire, and not a highway one, I want to make sure I'm giving up as little traction as possible when on the highway in the rain and snow going over passes. Since all I know are the KO and KO2, I don't really have any way of judging whether it was good for an AT tire, and I realize that they're an old design at this point.

Last edited:
Ko2 is old stuff.

My at the top pick is Nokian Hakkas

Then in distant next places in no particular order:
Yokohama AT
Fallen At3w
Toyo At3
I thought the Hakkapelitas are snow tires? The whole family used to run those when we lived in Vermont, good stuff in the snow. I don't think I see enough snow to need a snow tire.

I thought the Hakkapelitas are snow tires? The whole family used to run those when we lived in Vermont, good stuff in the snow. I don't think I see enough snow to need a snow tire.

Yep they're dedicated snow tires. Read that you see snow and ice and skipped over that it was mostly rain. I have dedicated snows for the winter months then run an AT tire like Falken or Yokohamas.

I just switched from KO2s to General Grabber X3's. They are rated better than the KO2's in everything according to Tire Rack.

I love my ko2’s, but in larger puddles At higher speeds i dNot like how much they pull compared to the original ko’s. I think I will be pulling the trigger on the wildpeak at3w’s next time around. The price of them is pretty amazing if you shop right

Those look like MT tires, might be a bit aggressive for what I'm looking for.

Check out the General Grabber ATX all terrain tire. I liked them on my 200 LC, quiet and did well in wet winter weather (California). They also have the three Peak snowflake emblem on the sidewall.

I have had the Toyo Open Country AT Is for years and always been happier

I just changed over to the new Toyo Open Country III's AT. So far havent driven them in weather and have about 100 miles on them. Quiet and nice ride on highway. With what is stated below, I expect them to perform better.

But tires are a personal preference I prefer Strawberry Ice Crème and you might like Mint Chip better :)

" For this new tire Toyo focused on making improvements to areas where the A/T II already shined. The company improved wet weather traction, durability, and treadwear life. Likely the biggest change was the addition of the three-peak mountain snowflake severe winter rating. "

Thanks for everyone's input. I narrowed it down to the Toyo Open Country AT III and the Falken Wildpeaks. Based on recent info from Joe Bacal that the tread compound of the falkens has recently been changed, I purchased the Toyos. They should be in tomorrow.

@AlpineAccess - Discount Tire did end up having a $100 off special, which I get as a rebate prepaid mastercard. They didn't budge on the protection plan though. All in, with the protection plan, tax, and installation, it will end up being about 1250 for 5 tires in 285/75r16. I will be posting the MIchelin Defender LTX M/S tires I had on the truck for sale here soon - they only have 17K on them, look new, and should serve someone looking for a highway tire well.

Thanks for everyone's input. I narrowed it down to the Toyo Open Country AT III and the Falken Wildpeaks. Based on recent info from Joe Bacal that the tread compound of the falkens has recently been changed, I purchased the Toyos. They should be in tomorrow.

@AlpineAccess - Discount Tire did end up having a $100 off special, which I get as a rebate prepaid mastercard. They didn't budge on the protection plan though. All in, with the protection plan, tax, and installation, it will end up being about 1250 for 5 tires in 285/75r16. I will be posting the MIchelin Defender LTX M/S tires I had on the truck for sale here soon - they only have 17K on them, look new, and should serve someone looking for a highway tire well.

Interesting on the protection plan. Might be a local store thing. Again, they've always thrown it in with a significant discount if I was going to pass on it. It may have changed, I'll find out in a few years when I need tires.

Big fan of the Cooper Discovery AT3. Have them on the troopy and my GMC 3/4 ton. They get winter driving from November through April. Quiet and tow great. I tow a 25 foot gooseneck with 9'000 pound cab tractor from Oklahoma to Steamboat and have never had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom