Tires- 275's vs. 285's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to purchase new rubber for my 80. I do some offroad, not much, but have a winch and lockers to get me through anything I will run into. I cannot decide whether I should stick to stock size or bump up to 285s. I am thinking about the REVOS or BFG AT/KOs (despite my bad experience with them on my FJ-62)

My concern is that I will decrease acceleration with the larger tires and I think a inaccurate speedo is a pain. I am not willing to recalibrate it to the 285s. As I said, my truck is rarely offroad but I like the look of the 285s. Should I stay stock or bump it up?

Tenn,

>> My concern is that I will decrease acceleration with the larger tires <<

Yes, you will lose about 6%. Those at sea level don't find this much of a problem. It was very noticeable to me but I live at 6,000'

>> and I think a inaccurate speedo is a pain. <<

Agreed. The odo will also be off.

>> I am not willing to recalibrate it to the 285s. <<

This is a 1/2 banana job and will only cost about $30. Get the xfer case gear from Christo and don't look back.

>> Should I stay stock or bump it up? <<

Get the BFG A/T ko 285's. You will love the look and the performance of the tyre. They wear like iron.

-B-

Tenncrush,
Ok, I realize the lockers were in, most likely, when you bought the truck, but you put a winch on something then say you like the 285's because of the look. :eek:

If it's for looks only, then 275. Little better mpg, better accel. etc. ... but if going offroad with or without a lift, I'd go with the 285's.

I agree with Beo. 285 BFG AT/KOs a great multi-purpose tire that will look good and outlast the energizer bunny. The calibration gear took me less than 15 minutes.
Get that thing out on the trail already. :beer:
CJ

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=9751;start=msg85923#msg85923 date=1073443772]
[glow=pink,2,300]GET BIG FAT 295's![/glow]
[/quote]

295's aren't fat. They are healthy. :flipoff2: that's whay your momma always said about me. :flipoff2:

hijack; just put on the 285s on mine and am trying to find the post where someone modified the rear tire carrier to accomadate the extra beef. please inform me of this proceedure thank you. unhijack;

oh yeah get the BFG AT KOs... i did :D

BTW, anyone looking for an original spare? :flipoff2:

No problem. :D

I had no problem with my 285 in my OEM spare location. I just hauled it up there and it's snug.

Why would you need to space it like that??? It looks like a small gain in clearance.

Jody.

Jody,
You gain an inch or two in departure angle. The spare and the rim takes a lot of abuse under there so every little bit helps.

It's also a quick, cheap, and easy mod.

-B-

I second that, every little bit helps. I don't tow anything with my 80 (have another tow vehicle) so I saw no need in keeping the tow hitch on there and to me that equals a few extra inches clearance on my departure angle.

I went with BFG 285s and wish I'd gone to 295s or 305s. The 285s are good tires and you'll feel little loss in acceleration, but they look somewhat puny with 3 inches of lift.

I would not condem the hitch out-of-hand. It provides some, what I found to be, significant departure protection for the spare tire and the stock rear bumper ends. I "drug" mine around for several years before sending Christo all my money( :D). In my case it certainly saved the rear end numerous times. I would let down easily off of an obsticle and "set" the hitch on it and then drag off slowly. It made a lovely sound but did an admirable job.
With my Slee, I gained just over 7 inches in the extreme rear where the hitch receiver was.

D-

Okay, sounds good... Just how much can you space it up??? Looks in the pic to be about 1" or so.

Jody.

Will a 305 fit in the spare tire location?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 305 the largest you can fit with the stock ride?

BFG AT 295's (what i have)
-will fit stock lift.
-are about 11.2 inches wide
-will fit stock 'hanging from the rig's ass' tire holder without any modifications.

if you want pics..search under readers rides for me.

A 305/70/16 fits under the vehicle in the stock carrier. It hangs down a bit. I spaced my carrier upward as in Rogue's solution. IIRC I went up about an inch. I can measure the distance later as I have the stock Xmember in my carport. I also had to space the hoist down about 1/4 inch so that the lowering rod would clear the rear body sill. After All was said and done The tire was just a touch higher than the stock 275 in the stock location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom