Tired old question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
... I've always assumed that 265 / 275 / 285 etc referred to the height of the tyre. I was on a website looking at some prices and it seemed to indicate that 265 was the width of the tread?? What does 275 / 75 / 16 refer to then? This may be basic stuff but I think I've misundertood.

Cheers, Jim (bring back the beer icon)

My BFG's are 265x75x16 and my spare is 265x70x16 - will using the spare with the larger diameter BFG's cause any problem?

Cheers, Jim

Jim,

In a limp-home situation you would be OK. I would be best on the rear. Do not lock the Diff if it is lockable. If I had a flat on the front and had to go quite a way, I would consider moving a rear tire forward and putting the smaller ti....opps tYre on the rear axle.

My thoughts on the matter, Dan

So how big a spare WILL fit in the stock location?

I had a 33" bogger in the stock location. That was pretty funny looking. But I think 33" is the max.

-Bryan

I'm hesitating to post this next question because I'm sure I've seen it covered before - but I've looked and can't find it.

So, will 285's require any addtional mods / regearing etc?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,
I'm running 285/75R16's.

1. These are approx 33x11 and fit in the stock spare location. C-Dan runs a 33x12 that also fits. For wider tyres you should raise the bracket per Rogue's method. (Also see landpimp's pictures of his raised bracket.)

2. Your speedometer and odometer will be slightly off. Some choose to live with it. Christo sells an inexpensive gear that goes in the transfer case and adjusts the speedo and odo. Mine is now dead-on per the GPS and I strongly recommend this mod.

3. Your tranny shift points will be slightly off unless you do #2.  This is not a big deal and you probably won't notice the difference.

4. Regearing the diffs is not necessary but you will notice a decrease in performance with the larger tyres. At 6,000 feet the performance hit is very noticeable. TRD sells a S/C to fix this issue but I have no idea where you can buy one.  ;)

5. Your truck will be about 1" higher so you might get a whine from the PS front seat.  I just ignored the noise for the first year and it gradually went away.

-B-

-B-

Thanks. I think I can live with those issues.

6000ft - I don't think that will be a problem :D The highest point in the UK is 4,418 feet

Now all I need to do is save some money.

Thanks all, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom