Tire rotation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also always do a 5-tire rotation, for all the reasons stated here.

BTW: Tire rotations are another time when the QuickJack is a huge time saver.

Lowering the spare with that janky crank provided in the kit kinda sucks. So I made my own crank, it hangs in the garage right at the spot where I need it for dropping the spare, during every oil change.

View attachment 3580874

(That is on old photo of my crank, I've since modified it to remove the hook at the end and converted it to the little cross pin that the newer winches use)

I've had to torch off the chain on several frozen spare winches on mini-trucks, it really sucks, but not as much as finding it frozen on the side of the road and you have a flat. I spray mine with Fluid Film every time I lower the spare.

I will say that it's not as effective to do the 5-tire rotation with a directional tire like the Nokian R3s I run now in the winter. Mine are pretty much worn out now (and really noisy), so I'll be looking for something different next Fall.
What'd ya use to cobble this together? I'm debating going to the junkyard and pulling the pieces from a jack/setup from something to make one, per the same idea of not pulling the one from the kit out

What'd ya use to cobble this together? I'm debating going to the junkyard and pulling the pieces from a jack/setup from something to make one, per the same idea of not pulling the one from the kit out
I started with the rod and extension from a mini truck jack kit, out of a truck I parted out. I welded those together at the joint, then the rest is various washers and a bolt, a piece of flat bar stock, and a couple of pieces of copper pipe. The copper pipe pieces are free to spin between the washers that are tacked into place.

The older hook end doesn't work with the tire winch in the Cruisers, so I cut that off, drilled an undersized hole in the end, then pressed a long 1/4-20 Grade 8 bolt through the hole, which I then cut the head and threaded end off. Works great.

(factory tool on the left, mine on the right)
IMG_20180401_152308.jpg

Thread bump. I have my mechanic rotate tires. Do you think they resent the fact that I have them do a 5 tire rotation? I’m also annoyed the 5th tire is all dirty

Thread bump. I have my mechanic rotate tires. Do you think they resent the fact that I have them do a 5 tire rotation? I’m also annoyed the 5th tire is all dirty
there's been a few times I've pulled the tire down myself, throwing it in the back, knowing it was going for a 5 tire rotation, then just put it back up myself. Don't know if they appreciated it or not.

Other than lowering/raising the spare, it’s no extra work to do the 5 tire thing. My spare is always sandy/muddy from my travels, so a rotation is a good chance to clean it up. I do my own rotation anyway because it’s a good time to get anti-seize on the hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom