Tire Pressure recommendation (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Additional information

1613688467433.png

Last edited:
Sorry, but I need more info about your "Aussie 200" to give you a good answer. Can you post a pic of the TIP (Tire Information Placard) found on the driver side door jamb of your vehicle? After I see that, I can answer your question.

While your at it, please confirm whether your tires are LT285/70R17 121/118Q Load Range E Razr MT tires.

Thanks.
DFD26A5C-073E-4DC3-8DED-2ABA74E7E119.jpeg

Hi @gaijin attached is the TIP. It’s a Australian landcruiser 200, VDJ200 GX spec which is a 4.5 twin turbo diesel. Yes those are the maxxis tyres you’ve mentioned there

View attachment 2589868
Hi @gaijin attached is the TIP. It’s a Australian landcruiser 200, VDJ200 GX spec which is a 4.5 twin turbo diesel. Yes those are the maxxis tyres you’ve mentioned there

Got it!

The RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) for those LT285/70R17 121/118Q Load Range E tires on your VDJ200 is 41psi / 283kPa F/R.

This was a fun one - :beer:👍

HTH

Hi @gaijin , new here and was hoping for guidance with proper tire pressure. 2017 LC200 with BFG KO2 LT285/75r17 121/118s load range E.

Thanks in advance

Hi @gaijin , new here and was hoping for guidance with proper tire pressure. 2017 LC200 with BFG KO2 LT285/75r17 121/118s load range E.

Thanks in advance

Glad to help - welcome aboard!

The RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) for those LT285/75R17 tires on your LC200 is 37psi F/R.

HTH

Hi @gaijin, thanks for your contributions to this forum. I searched but didn't find info on this specific set up. I'm looking for RCTIP for Toyo Open Country AT3 LT285/75 R17 121S E1 BSW on an LX570.

Hi @gaijin, thanks for your contributions to this forum. I searched but didn't find info on this specific set up. I'm looking for RCTIP for Toyo Open Country AT3 LT285/75 R17 121S E1 BSW on an LX570.

No problem!

The RCTIP for those LT285/75R17 Toyo Open Country A/T III tires on your LX570 is 35psi F/R.

HTH

I have a dumb question in regards to these RCTIP settings. And it may not have a definitive answer, so I'd be fine with guesses too.

I know these settings are what is recommended for safety. Would they also be the optimal settings for tread life? As I know different inflation pressures can have an effect on that.

Thanks.

I have a dumb question in regards to these RCTIP settings. And it may not have a definitive answer, so I'd be fine with guesses too.

I know these settings are what is recommended for safety. Would they also be the optimal settings for tread life? As I know different inflation pressures can have an effect on that.

Thanks.

The RCTIP is based on the tire Load Limit derived from what the vehicle manufacturer has determined is the "Proper Inflation" for the stock tires. In other words, the RCTIP is a translation of the manufacturer's Proper Inflation to a non-stock tire size. From that, perhaps the best we can say is that yes, the RCTIP is most probably the best for overall tire performance including tire treadwear because it avoids the adverse effects of overinflation and underinflation.

Discount tire has published a short summary (link to article here: Relationship Between Tire Pressure and Treadwear ) of the importance of Proper Inflation (and by extension the RCTIP for a non-standard tire size) in the following article:

Tire Pressure and Treadwear​

Air pressure significantly impacts tire performance in many ways, particularly in regard to treadwear.

Illustration of differing air pressure in a tire by Discount Tire

PROPER INFLATION​

The air in your tires actually supports the weight of your vehicle, so properly inflated tires allow for an even distribution of load across the contact patch of each tire. Learn more about a tire’s contact patch.
Proper inflation provides the best tire performance, fuel efficiency, and treadwear. When tires are not properly inflated, the load of the vehicle is not distributed evenly across the face of each tire, distorting the contact patch. Driving on underinflated or overinflated tires for an extended period can lead to irregular treadwear.
llustration of wear patterns on underinflated and overinflated tires by Discount Tire

UNDERINFLATION​

When tires are underinflated, the weight of the vehicle is put on the tires’ sidewalls and causes them to bulge excessively. This also pulls the center tread area of the tires up and away from the road and forces the load of the vehicle onto the shoulders of the tire.
This means that driving on underinflated tires for too long will result in excessive wear on the shoulders of the tires and reduce the tires’ overall tread life. In addition to the treadwear issues that may develop, driving on underinflated tires can also cause excessive heat buildup in the sidewalls, leading to serious and irreparable sidewall damage. Learn more about overloading and underinflation.

OVERINFLATION​

When tires are overinflated, the center tread area balloons outward, reducing the contact patch and forcing the center tread area to support the weight of the vehicle. Continual driving on overinflated tires can cause irregular treadwear and reduce their tread life.
To maximize your tires’ tread life, it is best to follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended air pressure, which helps ensure an even distribution of load across the face of each tire, improve fuel efficiency, and optimize tire performance.

*************************************************************************************

There are just too many variables to say that either the manufacturer's recommended pressure, as well as the RCTIP, is the optimum for any particular use case; but one broad statement that could be made with a high degree of confidence is that the RCTIP should be viewed as a minimum recommended pressure. It is fine to increase tire pressure for specific use cases, like towing, but it would not be a good idea, for safety, to decrease pressure below the recommended minimum.

HTH

The RCTIP is based on the tire Load Limit derived from what the vehicle manufacturer has determined is the "Proper Inflation" for the stock tires. In other words, the RCTIP is a translation of the manufacturer's Proper Inflation to a non-stock tire size. From that, perhaps the best we can say is that yes, the RCTIP is most probably the best for overall tire performance including tire treadwear because it avoids the adverse effects of overinflation and underinflation.

Discount tire has published a short summary (link to article here: Relationship Between Tire Pressure and Treadwear ) of the importance of Proper Inflation (and by extension the RCTIP for a non-standard tire size) in the following article:

Tire Pressure and Treadwear​

Air pressure significantly impacts tire performance in many ways, particularly in regard to treadwear.

Illustration of differing air pressure in a tire by Discount Tire

PROPER INFLATION​

The air in your tires actually supports the weight of your vehicle, so properly inflated tires allow for an even distribution of load across the contact patch of each tire. Learn more about a tire’s contact patch.
Proper inflation provides the best tire performance, fuel efficiency, and treadwear. When tires are not properly inflated, the load of the vehicle is not distributed evenly across the face of each tire, distorting the contact patch. Driving on underinflated or overinflated tires for an extended period can lead to irregular treadwear.
llustration of wear patterns on underinflated and overinflated tires by Discount Tire

UNDERINFLATION​

When tires are underinflated, the weight of the vehicle is put on the tires’ sidewalls and causes them to bulge excessively. This also pulls the center tread area of the tires up and away from the road and forces the load of the vehicle onto the shoulders of the tire.
This means that driving on underinflated tires for too long will result in excessive wear on the shoulders of the tires and reduce the tires’ overall tread life. In addition to the treadwear issues that may develop, driving on underinflated tires can also cause excessive heat buildup in the sidewalls, leading to serious and irreparable sidewall damage. Learn more about overloading and underinflation.

OVERINFLATION​

When tires are overinflated, the center tread area balloons outward, reducing the contact patch and forcing the center tread area to support the weight of the vehicle. Continual driving on overinflated tires can cause irregular treadwear and reduce their tread life.
To maximize your tires’ tread life, it is best to follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended air pressure, which helps ensure an even distribution of load across the face of each tire, improve fuel efficiency, and optimize tire performance.

*************************************************************************************

There are just too many variables to say that either the manufacturer's recommended pressure, as well as the RCTIP, is the optimum for any particular use case; but one broad statement that could be made with a high degree of confidence is that the RCTIP should be viewed as a minimum recommended pressure. It is fine to increase tire pressure for specific use cases, like towing, but it would not be a good idea, for safety, to decrease pressure below the recommended minimum.

HTH
Wonderful information! Thank you very much.

Hello @gaijin. What would correct air pressure be on LT285/65/18 125/122Q load range E Goodyear Duratrac tires installed on a 2021 Heritage? Just had them installed and the tire place put 50 psi all around. Thinking that might be too high? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello @gaijin. What would correct air pressure be on LT285/65/18 125/122Q load range E Goodyear Duratrac tires installed on a 2021 Heritage? Just had them installed and the tire place put 50 psi all around. Thinking that might be too high? Thanks!

Glad you asked.

The RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) for those LT285/65R18 tires on your LC200 is 42psi F/R.

HTH

For me, i initially renegaded against gaijin’s recommendation (42 psi instead of recommended 46 psi) for my tires.

After a thousand mile or so, i went back to 46 psi because in the end, safety takes priority, not just with me but with my family on board on long road trips. I did not care much about wear differences because that only means new tires sooner! :D But safety on the road is key here.

And frankly, i did not find much (if at all) penalty for going from 42 to 46 psi with my stock sized KO2s. So win-win situation for me and family.

Hi @gaijin,
Installing tomorrow Toyo Open Country AT III 275 /65 R18 116T SL BSW on 21 LC HE. Can you please recommend the correct pressure? Thanks!

Hi @gaijin,
Installing tomorrow Toyo Open Country AT III 275 /65 R18 116T SL BSW on 21 LC HE. Can you please recommend the correct pressure? Thanks!

The RCTIP for those ISO-Metric 275/65R18 SL 116T tires on your LC200 is 33psi F/R.

HTH

Hi @gaijin
Greetings, Installed Cooper at3 xlt 275/70R18 on my stock wheels of lc200 2014 vx.r. What would be the RCTIP?

20210225_131111192_iOS.jpg

Hi @gaijin
Greetings, Installed Cooper at3 xlt 275/70R18 on my stock wheels of lc200 2014 vx.r. What would be the RCTIP?

View attachment 2600343

Your tire description is incomplete, but I will assume you mean the LT275/70R18 125/122S Load Range E tires. If that assumption is correct, then:

The RCTIP for those LT275/70R18 tires on your LC200 is 41psi F/R.

HTH

Gaijin,

This forum owes you a debt of gratitude... and a thank you cake or something. Football and boxing have left me incapable of basic math, and here you are in the clutch yet again.

I need the recommended pressures for a 2021 LC200 with LT285/65/r18 125/122Q Load Range E Yokohama Geolandar M/T g003’s.

First mud tire and I’m noobing it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom