Tire Pressure Monitoring System Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2001 4 Runner doesn't come with a factory Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I'm looking at installing this one

Amazon.com: Meirun Diy TPMS,Cigarette Lighter Wireless LCD Display Digital Tire Pressure Monitoring System,Tpms System with 4 Internal Sensors for Home Motor: Automotive

It has the sensors in the stems rather than the caps (which I guess are prone to getting stolen).

My only concern is that the price is lower than I expected - but the reviews seem generally positive with the caveat that the digital display can be hard to read in direct sunlight - which I can live with.

Anyone have any advice or better options?

I despise the TPMS.

Out of the three vehicles of ours that have TPMS, all have/had issues. Two Toyotas and one Honda.

I suggest you save your money, and just walk around your truck every day or so to keep an eye on things.

Not to hijack this thread, but is there anyway to get the TPMS light to go out if you don't have the sensors installed? Asking for a friend who recently bought a 100 for his wife.

Pull the bulb :) Beyond that i don't think so. From what I understand it was a federally mandated safety feature so Toyota didn't add the option of turning it off in the software. There may be some kind of back alley work around but I haven't seen the option in Techstream.

Not to hijack this thread, but is there anyway to get the TPMS light to go out if you don't have the sensors installed? Asking for a friend who recently bought a 100 for his wife.

I had them in my tahoe, but upgraded to 2016 wheels. Bastards (GM) changed the system between 04 and 16. None of my toys have it.

I agree, you walk around the vehicle and keep an eye on things. Generally good practice anyway. You can usually tell by handling that you have an issue with tires before its too late. Of course I cringe when i see people driving around on a flat tire or the rim because they can't be bothered to stop.

You also have to factor cost of taking the tires off, installing sensors, etc. Plus if it is not OEM, make sure that you can get those sensors if one fails or battery dies otherwise you have to replace all 4 when you replace whole system. I was going to replace mine but never bothered. If you do, talk to Wallmart. Guy was going to do for next to nothing.

@EstMedicinaLuto , Did you install these? I've been thinking about adding something similar to our 2000 Land Cruiser. I've been thinking about the external systems (ones in the caps), but I wonder if you need to re-balance tires? I've been leaning towards this one:
Amazon product ASIN B07H7BFCJ6
The display is a little big. I would be interested in your feedback, and anyone else's.

Leej
2000 Land Cruiser

Toyota/Denso TPMS sensors (sealed battery in them) typically last over 10 years, if you replace all your TPMS sensors at the 10 year tire replacement cycle, you are roughly good for another 10 years.. Denso sensors run ~ $40 each online. On the :princess: 2006 Tacoma, her Pioneer deck with iDatalink Maestro, PSI is displayed live on the screen, to include OBD2 info. TPMS scanner can determine which sensor has a low battery, but replacing them one at a time is time consuming, so I got them all replaced when the first sensor failed (~10 years).

Anyone have any advice or better options?

Yes.
Invest $50 in a decent pressure gauge with a whip...

And consider the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to check the tires time well spent.

Buy Mitch a beer and he will monitor your tires on the trail, better than any sensor. He is still trying to blame his near rollover on his rear tires being slightly over inflated vs the clear driver incompetence displayed in the video evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom