Tint Shop Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hokie LX

SILVER Star
Threads
Back for another shop suggestion. The shop I used to use in Cary closed down I just found out so I have to find a new one. Been googling around different shops but would love to get some feedback from folks as I always value that above all.

Any recommendations for tint shops in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area? Looking to have my LX done and my wife's Golf. Ideally someone that carries 3M ceramic tint.

If anyone has a shop that is OK with being flexible on tint darkness (<35%), that would be preferred :cool:.

Thanks!

I have always had great results with sun protection in Cary (James Jackson ave) over the years probably had 7-8 vehicles done there, quality work. I have always used the Pinnacle line they carry.
Tell them you were referred you will get a 10% discount.

I use this shop for paint protection film and window tint on an Audi I previously owned. Zero complaints.

Shade Custom Tint
Located in Apex. His pricing was better than anyone else and I was able to get ceramic tint. Did a great job on the Cruiser.
I've also used Sun Protection in Cary. When I asked for a quote, it was significantly higher than the previous work they did.

Good feedback guys. I've found out the following from calling around. I'm wanting ceramic film on the truck including a 70-80% on the windshield.

Top Edge Tint: Lowest priced, uses Xpel films, nice owner - $450 for Xpel XR+ + $175 for windshield = $625

Shade Custom Tint: middle priced (of the three) and use Llumar films - $475 for IRX ceramic + $180 windshield = $655

TVP: Most expensive and use Xpel films - $575 for Xpel XR+ + $175 windshield = $750

Likely going with either Top Edge or Shade at this point given price. Both Llumar and Xpel are great films so either would be good.

Good feedback guys. I've found out the following from calling around. I'm wanting ceramic film on the truck including a 70-80% on the windshield.

Top Edge Tint: Lowest priced, uses Xpel films, nice owner - $450 for Xpel XR+ + $175 for windshield = $625

Shade Custom Tint: middle priced (of the three) and use Llumar films - $475 for IRX ceramic + $180 windshield = $655

TVP: Most expensive and use Xpel films - $575 for Xpel XR+ + $175 windshield = $750

Likely going with either Top Edge or Shade at this point given price. Both Llumar and Xpel are great films so either would be good.
Wow... I didn't pay nearly that amount at Shade. I need to find my receipt for the work.

80 series with legal tint on the front row, darker on second row, third row, and rear glass, and 5% on the sunroof glass. Nothing on the windshield.

I think I paid around 1500 for tint all around, full bumper, headlights, half hood and front fenders, door cups, rocker panels and truck lip in xpell film. It took them 2/3 of a day to get it all done. This was 3ish years ago.

I think I paid around 1500 for tint all around, full bumper, headlights, half hood and front fenders, door cups, rocker panels and truck lip in xpell film. It took them 2/3 of a day to get it all done. This was 3ish years ago.
tvp is much more now for everything you mentioned (though full hood).

@Hokie LX , I'll be getting wife's new car done by top edge (XPEL) in July. I'm getting my LC wrapped and tinted in Garner (ATD detailing) XPEL. If you're still in the market, I'll gladly let you know how both places were.

Last edited:

What am I missing here? You tinted stuff that isn't glass? Is that some new thing that I'm clearly not baller enough to know about? LOL

Oh.....to stay on topic, I used a place called "Auto Acoustics" near where I work in Durham once to fix the tint on the Tundra. They did the front and rear doors and back glass. Nothing complicated. I didn't tint my door jams or wiper blades or anything.

What am I missing here? You tinted stuff that isn't glass? Is that some new thing that I'm clearly not baller enough to know about? LOL

Oh.....to stay on topic, I used a place called "Auto Acoustics" near where I work in Durham once to fix the tint on the Tundra. They did the front and rear doors and back glass. Nothing complicated. I didn't tint my door jams or wiper blades or anything.

sorry for the lack of clarity. Tinted all windows. Had paint protection film applied to the other areas mentioned.

sorry for the lack of clarity. Tinted all windows. Had paint protection film applied to the other areas mentioned.
When the clear bra has some age on it and starts to yellow and crack, the material becomes incredibly difficult to remove from the vehicle. I spent a week picking the clear bra off my Maxima with my finger nails so I didn't damage the paint underneath. I tried everything from googone, wd40, plastic scrapers, and even razor blades. Metal razor blades worked best but required precision I didn't have.

13 years old, drinks oil, clear coat is paper thin, interior is faded, lowered suspension is clapped out, clutch is slipping, AC barely works, power steering making noises, shifter is clunky, but photographs well!
1624542340680.png

@Hokie LX I can recommend top edge for window tint without hesitation. They did a stellar job on my wife's car and have a great product lineup of Xpel tints. If they did PPF, I would have gone with them for my rig too. I personally think they did a better job of recommendations, clarity of expectations and overall communication than the shop I ultimately went with. No, I have no endorsements to disclose. Ha.

Man I wish @Hokie LX lived in Charlotte, all these grt recs

Thanks for all the info guys. Esp @lumbee1 and @fourtrax - - Going to do at least our south facing windows on the new house - will look at Sun Protection Cary and Shade Custom!

Thread resurrection…anyone use ATD Detailing or King Tutt Graphics / Osiris in Raleigh for PPF, tint or ceramic coating? I’m pricing out services currently for my new pickup.

I used ATD for my cowl PPF and tint on my LC.

Tint looks great overall, though when I had to get new windshields, I went with top edge in Cary afterwards.

I picked it up after hours and some of the PPF edges weren’t quite right. It’s a Long way from my house and I didn’t want to have to deal with another trip there so I made it work as is. Most of the PPF is solid still and the bumped up concave edges haven’t gotten worse (that I can tell), but it does trap dirt and I notice them. Granted, I have started backing off three bucket washes every week over the past few months. I know - I’m sick.

Abby at atd was great to deal with via email. This was my first car I’ve had PPF applied to so I don’t know what is to be expected. As I’ve said before, you’re buying the installer - not the product. The product is uniform, the installers are not.

If you want a good ceramic guy (in Durham), let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom