Timing plate slotted bolt removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How the heck do you get those slotted timing plate bolts out? It looks like they’re staked in there pretty good and I’m having a super hard time removing them. Also, is my 83 2F missing the oiler? All the searches I’ve done show a gear oiler.

C1A3D43D-1334-4E29-AAFB-5549383CF7C1.jpeg

How the heck do you get those slotted timing plate bolts out? It looks like they’re staked in there pretty good and I’m having a super hard time removing them. Also, is my 83 2F missing the oiler? All the searches I’ve done show a gear oiler.

View attachment 2664533

you are correct about the missing oilier tube or fitting

yours is snapped off clearly i can see

i lost one a while back in the shop , i dropped it , and the little guy simply rolled away under a tool box and was never seen alive again 😆

I UNICORN HUNTER'd for a NOS one for a bit only to come full circle again @ SOR.com and they indeed still do have GOOD Pre-owned ones in-stock today .....

- note : i have zero affiliation with SOR , however i strongly believe they still indeed do serve a relevant purpose for the vintage land cruiser community as a whole , case and point : this needed UNICORN part in this thread ........:)

Part #'s 90915-01014 , 90915-01005 , 90915-01009

Call OUT # 11417 , NOZZLE , Sub. Assy

BuyQuantityPart NumberDescriptionPriceIn Stock
034-65ACAMSHAFT OILER -
Fits 1958-8/92 F/2F/3F gas engines
(Discontinued - Not available at this time)

WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm — www.p65warnings.ca.gov
no.png
034-65A-UUSED CAMSHAFT OILER -
On Sale - Everyone gets the Discounted Price on this part.
PLEASE ALLOW 24 TO 72 HOURS TO PULL AND INSPECT ALL USED PARTS BEFORE SHIPMENT

yes.png

1620548374657.png

you are correct about the missing oilier tube or fitting

yours is snapped off clearly i can see

i lost one a while back in the shop , i dropped it , and the little guy simply rolled away under a tool box and was never seen alive again 😆

I UNICORN HUNTER'd for a NOS one for a bit only to come full circle again @ SOR.com and they indeed still do have GOOD Pre-owned ones in-stock today .....

- note : i have zero affiliation with SOR , however i strongly believe they still indeed do serve a relevant purpose for the vintage land cruiser community as a whole , case and point : this needed UNICORN part in this thread ........:)

Part #'s 90915-01014 , 90915-01005 , 90915-01009

Call OUT # 11417 , NOZZLE , Sub. Assy

BuyQuantityPart NumberDescriptionPriceIn Stock
034-65ACAMSHAFT OILER -
(Discontinued - Not available at this time)

no.png
034-65A-UUSED CAMSHAFT OILER -
On Sale - Everyone gets the Discounted Price on this part.
PLEASE ALLOW 24 TO 72 HOURS TO PULL AND INSPECT ALL USED PARTS BEFORE SHIPMENT

yes.png

View attachment 2669423

It has one, it’s just smaller than the ones I’ve seen. Apparently from research the longer one was eliminated after 8/80 and this smaller one was used.

It has one, it’s just smaller than the ones I’ve seen. Apparently from research the longer one was eliminated after 8/80 and this smaller one was used.

where is it in your photos above ?

🤔

I think you have a remnant of oiler in the timing plate and that someone overtightened it thus snapping off the extension that's needed to squirt oil on the timing gears. When the oiler is overtightened it pushes the timing plate out slightly allowing for an oil leak to develop along the edge of the plate. The glob of black silicone at the edge of the plate is an indication of this condition.

I think you have a remnant of oiler in the timing plate and that someone overtightened it thus snapping off the extension that's needed to squirt oil on the timing gears. When the oiler is overtightened it pushes the timing plate out slightly allowing for an oil leak to develop along the edge of the plate. The glob of black silicone at the edge of the plate is an indication of this condition.

It’s never been apart until now. The silicone was me trying to slow down the leak.

It’s never been apart until now. The silicone was me trying to slow down the leak.
It has been apart previously, the plate is cracked out from a screw hole, and the oiler nozzle is broken off in the plate.
Throw the plate away and get a better one.

It has been apart previously, the plate is cracked out from a screw hole, and the oiler nozzle is broken off in the plate.

Can you explain how the oiler is broken perfectly in the shape of a Allen key then and staked perfectly in place with no witness marks? And also, the cover is not cracked, that’s a scratch I DID with a screwdriver trying to remove the slotted bolt. I know the outer cover has been done before, but if you can explain how the timing plate has been off without a single witness mark on any of the bolts or any idea on how someone removed the plate and then reinstalled it using the slotted bolts and aligned it back perfectly with its original slot positions and stakes, and again, no witness marks?

The info I gathered was there was an update to the front cover which slung oil on the timing gear, previously the oiler was used to deflect it away from the crank seal as to not cause it to leak from there.

It’s not like I bought the truck yesterday, I’ve owned it for years. The cover didn’t leak for a few years but developed a leak after a while. I did the outer cover thinking that was it, and it wasn’t.

Also, I have every single receipt for work ever done, and I don’t have one for the timing plate.

MAGIC, I tell ya!

Also, then is this not true? If it’s not and there’s supposed to be an oiler I’ll fix it. But I just read this and assumed it was right.

506E92F6-0518-43E1-A20A-9D0202200CE5.png

Can you explain how the oiler is broken perfectly in the shape of a Allen key then and staked perfectly in place with no witness marks? And also, the cover is not cracked, that’s a scratch I DID with a screwdriver trying to remove the slotted bolt. I know the outer cover has been done before, but if you can explain how the timing plate has been off without a single witness mark on any of the bolts or any idea on how someone removed the plate and then reinstalled it using the slotted bolts and aligned it back perfectly with its original slot positions and stakes, and again, no witness marks?

The info I gathered was there was an update to the front cover which slung oil on the timing gear, previously the oiler was used to deflect it away from the crank seal as to not cause it to leak from there.

It’s not like I bought the truck yesterday, I’ve owned it for years. The cover didn’t leak for a few years but developed a leak after a while. I did the outer cover thinking that was it, and it wasn’t.

Also, I have every single receipt for work ever done, and I don’t have one for the timing plate.

MAGIC, I tell ya!
Dude the perpendicular scratch IS leftover from where it was staked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom