Timing cover question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1. Is it necessary to remove the head to get the timing cover off?
2. If it is (it probably is) can someone point me to a parts list for the head job and timing cover? I went looking and all I got was a reference to IdahoDoug and a mysterious DVD.

Thanks.

1. Is it necessary to remove the head to get the timing cover off?
2. If it is (it probably is) can someone point me to a parts list for the head job and timing cover? I went looking and all I got was a reference to IdahoDoug and a mysterious DVD.

Thanks.
1. Yes
2. Just call @beno

1. Yes
2. Just call @beno

Rough estimate for parts cost? Im putting together a justification for keep or move on. I had the head done at 220k but they didn't do the timing cover and now its leaking like a sieve at 300k. Trying to decide if its a "move on" moment or a double down moment.

Doing it myself I would guess, $700 for parts? (including a new koyorad). Am I in the ballpark?

Rough estimate for parts cost? Im putting together a justification for keep or move on. I had the head done at 220k but they didn't do the timing cover and now its leaking like a sieve at 300k. Trying to decide if its a "move on" moment or a double down moment.

Doing it myself I would guess, $700 for parts? (including a new koyorad). Am I in the ballpark?
Closer to a g

We just did the head gasket, thought the oil was leaking from the oil pump cover. Once we got everything bolted back together except the alternator and harmonic balancer we realized it was leaking oil from the time chain cover right above the oil pump cover. WOW what a bad moment when we realize the head would have to come off or the oil pan which seems to require taking the motor mounts off and lifting the engine. We left it, super cleaned up and tried to seal it from the outside. Seemed reasonable since it was on the top side of the cover. Told my son we would just push it into a ditch before we do that head again. We paid about $200 to do the headgasket and all gaskets to do that, would not have been much more to do the timing chain cover at the same time if we only knew. Yeah you could spend $1,000s and replace everything but you still have old crank, piston rings, etc etc etc. For me going all out on only 1/4 of the engine in a 20+ year old non collectible vehicle is a little crazy, at one point I can just buy another one used in better condition.

IMHO at this point I would keep the truck and fix what it needs. Unless the motor/drivetrain blows up. If you were to buy another one, you would have to start over with the base lining and probably have to fix all the same things again. Unless you're buying a truck that has already had all the work recently completed in which you'll end up paying a higher price for.

Do it yourself with your son to ensure that it is done properly with quality parts. Drive for another 200k.

1. Yes
2. Just call @beno

RE: 1. Are you sure? It looks like the only thing in the way up top is the 2 bolts that you should be able to access with the valve cover off. The FSM says (casually I might add) that you should remove the head to proceed to the next step but I can't see why it should be possible to do it without. You will need to move some hoses and all the same belts and drives not to mention the upper pan but, to me at least, it doesn't look like you should have to pull the head.
image-jpeg.1412164

Aside from the two tops bolts, Im not seeing here it would hang up and prevent me from getting it at it without taking the head off.

1. Yes
2. Just call @beno

It IS possible to remove the timing cover with the cylinder head in place. I have done it. The job requires that the engine be raised up a couple inches above the front mounts and both oil pans need to come off. The job took me 27 hours. If had known then what I know now about head gaskets I would have pulled the head.

It IS possible to remove the timing cover with the cylinder head in place. I have done it. The job requires that the engine be raised up a couple inches above the front mounts and both oil pans need to come off. The job took me 27 hours. If had known then what I know now about head gaskets I would have pulled the head.

Im in a spot where I wont be doing the work myself and I really don't want to pay for a HG job it doesn't need (done 50k ago). Do you think it would be worth it for a competent shop to do just the timing cover job?

What is +/- 27 hours times the shop's door rate? Let's say it is 80 bucks an hour. That makes it around 2,100 bucks in labor.

You still need to remove the valve cover to get to at least one of the timing cover bolts. Also it is not a sure thing that the cover will separate from the front section of the head gasket without tearing it. I got lucky there.

On the other hand rear pan arch leaks are common and a pain. Pulling the pans fixes that as a byproduct. My arch is perfectly dry and has been for over a decade since the job.

You still need to remove the valve cover to get to at least one of the timing cover bolts. Also it is not a sure thing that the cover will separate from the front section of the head gasket without tearing it. I got lucky there.

But the front cover still needs to come off, so 27 hours plus how ever many for the head? or is it THAT much easier to do it with the head job?

The pans do not need to come off if the head is not in the way. One end or the other has to come off.
You need to decide if you want to go in from above or below. As far as the FSM is concerned both ends need to come off to do the timing cover.

You can fake it in a similar manner as you would by pulling only the pans.

I am fixing to have my head gasket replaced in my 96 next week. Alldata calls for 9.8 labor hours to replace the head gasket can anybody tell me how much additional book time there would be to remove and reseal the front timing cover that is not overlapping? I am wanting to do every possible "while your in there" if I can afford it!

I am fixing to have my head gasket replaced in my 96 next week. Alldata calls for 9.8 labor hours to replace the head gasket can anybody tell me how much additional book time there would be to remove and reseal the front timing cover that is not overlapping? I am wanting to do every possible "while your in there" if I can afford it!

My 2 cents says that whatever it is...its worth it.

My 2 cents says that whatever it is...its worth it.
I could not agree more, would be a total waste to be in there and not take care of it while the head is off. It looks like there are 2 o-ring seals in the back side of the timing cover, does anybody know the part numbers for those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom