Timing Chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who has replaced their timing chains on their 80's? I have not done so and I have a lot of miles on mine. Has anybody had a failure on their timing chains?

Gman

How many are "a lot"?

How many are "a lot"?
Probably 150,000 miles.

Maybe more since his whole pedigree is Toyota........

What I've been observing is around the 350K mile range is where a few people have started to see guide failures or the rebuild OCD got them so they are changing everything.

We have started to see more rebuilds starting in the last years or so and people are doing them as a wear part.

I think I've only heard of two actual timing chain failures on the forum.

My timing chain failed on my 93 at around 230k. I still don't know why, but it broke while cranking at lunch after driving around 30 miles to work one morning. It prompted a head gasket replacement, timing set and water pump as well.

Who has replaced their timing chains on their 80's? I have not done so and I have a lot of miles on mine. Has anybody had a failure on their timing chains?

Gman
I replaced mine as part of a complete rebuild @ 372k miles. The guides needed to go, chain and sprockets looked great, but I didn't bother measuring against spec.

On my short block retrofit at 242k, the timing chain GUIDES were crispy enough to crumble when handled, so they were due. The timing chain, sprocket and tensioner were alll reused, and within spec. This engine saw typical maintenance with oil changes, filter changes, etc. That's a lot of miles for plastic chain tensioners, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom