Timing Chain Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I'm approching 120k and I've just done plugs, wires, roter, dist. cap, contemplating the fuel filter, and I want to know what I should do about the timing chain. When should I replace that and how hard of a job is it. (should I bring it to the mechanic?) anything else I should do/check at 120k

-Bryan

Bryan,
The timing chain does not need routine replacement. It should be replaced when you are doing a full engine rebuild. Hopefully over 300k miles if you and the PO treated it right.

For vehicles operated under severe conditions, Toyota recommends inspecting the timing chain at 90k miles and every 30k thereafter.
-B-

-H-

The camshaft in a 3FE is gear driven

No chain worries for you............... :beer:

Thank ya much dudes. Have a cold one on me ---> :beer:

-Bryan

One More thing I wanted to ask, I am going to change the fluid in the diffs and xfer case; any brand oil that is recomended? and has anyone tried that lucus oil additive stuff? Ive seen it at autozone and pepboys and the retards there claim it works wonders, but I dont trust anything from pepboys.

Bryan,
I recommend Mobil-1 gear oil for both diffs and the transfer case. Any good full synthetic would be acceptable to me. That being said, I had all fluids replaced right after I got the truck and ran with standard gear oil for 15k miles and was in no hurry to change diffs & xfer over to synthetic. I don't think these are as important as the engine, which got synthetic from day 1.

I waited to change to syn until after the axles were done and I was sure the axle oil seals were not leaking.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom