1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing an electronic Mallory dostributor

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by nat869, Aug 14, 2005.

1. nat869

nat869

I have a 1975 FJ55 with a stock F motor. I just got it and it has a Mallory electronic distributor. I have never delt with one before and was wondering how to time it. There seems to be no way of disconnecting the advance. Thanks for any help.

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

let it warm up, hook up a vacuum guage to manifold vacuum.

Loosen retaining bolt at base of distributor, with engine idling, rotate distributor for maximum/ most consistent (non flucuating) vacuum.

The advance should not have any appreciable effect at idle. If it is a vacuum advance simply unplug it and plug the hose.

3. nat869

nat869

It has no vacuum advance, just 3 wires going to it. Check it by vacuum?

4. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Engine vacuum is a good indicator of static engine timing, among other things.

5. dfmorse

dfmorse

6. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I have a mallory on mine with no vacuum advance. But mines got points. I set my timing to the bb on the flywheel, just like stock and it seems to be fine. Mine gets to about 30-32 degrees advance at around 34-3500rpm. Vacuum advance sure would be nice though. I may get another toyota (maybe a non-usa one) distributor when I do my engine rebuild.