• Dean Back Country SQ4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toyo Open Country A/T II

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the current tires I have on my 92 are over a decade old - rotting and worn. So I have started researching to get new ones. I will probably be 90% on road, with 10% occasional off road trips. Nothing crazy off road, just simple trails with some hills, rocks, and little water crossings I'd imagine. I have narrowed it down to a few tires. The Dean Back Country SQ4s, the classic Toyo Open Country A/T II, and the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s. The Hankooks and Toyos look the coolest, with some gnarly sidewalls but I saw the Dean's on a Jeep today and they looked like a solid tire, perfect for my driving style. I will drive in snow - sometimes a few inches deep - and a good amount of rain in the fall and spring months. If anyone has some insight or experience, let me know.
Back Country SQ4 - All Terrain Tire from Dean
All Terrain Truck Tires - Open Country A/T II
Dynapro AT-m (RF10) Tire Info | Hankook Tire USA

I have the Toyos. Great all around tire...only downside is weight.

All 3 tread designs look similar to each other. Only thing that will make them really different from each other is tire compound, construction, and ply's.

I would guess there is a noticeable price difference?

BFG KO2.....and don’t look back.

Cooper Sst pro seem to get alot of attention as well.

Falken AT3W really great luck and performance with these so far in rain, snow and on and off road

I agree. I have a set of the AT2s on my LC right now. 48k miles and quiet, smooth and have worn perfectly evenly. Great in snow and in the wet and acceptable off road. They are worn to the point where they are no longer an "AT" tire, so I just bought some Duratracs to replace them. I put a set of the AT3s on my '02 Tundra, though, and seriously consider the AT3s for the LC. They seem to be really great tires for the money and I think constitute a "safe" purchase.

Ahh, Friday tire talk.
Tire choices are going to be very subjective. Personally, I stay away from BFG due to the many poor experiences I've had with both the AT and MT versions. I am a fan of Goodyear for both the MT/R and Duratrac.
IMO, the Duratrac is the most aggressive AT type tire on the market. It does very well in rain and is almost like magic in the snow, especially the "mashed potato" wet stuff we get around here. Certain sizes are E rated, so you need to adjust air pressure accordingly or the ride will be harsh, but this holds true for any manufacturer.
I have done several long road trips with them and they ride comfortably on the road.

Ahh, Friday tire talk.
Tire choices are going to be very subjective. Personally, I stay away from BFG due to the many poor experiences I've had with both the AT and MT versions. I am a fan of Goodyear for both the MT/R and Duratrac.
IMO, the Duratrac is the most aggressive AT type tire on the market. It does very well in rain and is almost like magic in the snow, especially the "mashed potato" wet stuff we get around here. Certain sizes are E rated, so you need to adjust air pressure accordingly or the ride will be harsh, but this holds true for any manufacturer.
I have done several long road trips with them and they ride comfortably on the road.

Great to hear these words as this is exactly why I bought some Duratracs...

Ahh, Friday tire talk.

Me too on the Duratracs. I have 53K on my Duratracs and they are still about 60% on tread.

The only thing you have to make sure you do with them is rotate every 6-8K miles or they will get noisy. I let mine go to 18K before rottation and they got noisy. My own fault.

In snow, I could walk through a 4 ft drift like nothing. Fantastic tire in wet and snow. Need to get the correct pressure when in the rock and dry dirt for crawling. I have the E rated version and run 35 PSI. I just upgraded my suspension to heavies, so now I need to drop my tire pressure a bit because it's translating a bit too much road feel now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom