Tie Rod installation tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to be rebuilding the front of end of a 76 fj40. I searched the archives but I could not find much on notes during installation. I am going to be installing a control arm rebuild kit and a tie rod rebuild kit. As well, installing a steering stabilizer. Any links to installation tips/instructions? Any things to watch out for in your experience?

Thanks.

Juke

some of the parts are back threaded so i ended up making them tighter the first time i messed with the steering (doh), besides that its pretty easy...
good luck
-al

Tide:

I know this asking a lot but...can you give me a step by step? This is my first front end so, I am coming at it blind. I know my way around a tool box but I have never done this particular job.

Thanks.

hey juke
you might want to get a service manual. I got a Haynes book at auto zone.
not the best in the world but it will bet you by.

Tewl:

Thanks. Yeah, I got them on order. Body and chassis and 2F FSM. Have you done this rebuild yet?

Factory service manual will cover everything clearly.

Worth every penny....

Good luck!

-Steve

no, i have my front end tore apart. plan on using larger tie rod ends, and making new arms attaching them to the knuckle. ordered some 1 3/8 DOM for the tie rod.
going with a saginaw power steering setup, so I don't need much of the factory stuff.
I'll have to write a new manual for mine once I get it all together to know what is what.
Steve

sit down, in front of it and draw a goooood sketch and count the threads. ( so it will be at least close to be aligned)... then after ya got that down..you'll either have to get a puller or if you were like me and just bought the a whole new tie rod kit and dint have a puller i just cut the rubber bushings off and used a 19mm open ended wrench and a sledge hammer.( slipped the 19mm between the TRE and the knuckle and wamo poped right up (most of the time)).throw on the new stuff and get new cotter pins if ya dont already have em....good luck
-al

Should be really straight forward, when you pull a rod off, be sure to measure the overall length (center of TRE to center of TRE) before you unscrew the old ends. You'll have both left and right handed threads so watch close. When you put the new ends on be sure to count the exposed threads on each end as you try to match the old overall length, and keep the number of exposed threads equal on both ends of the rod. You will have to readjust your toe-in after everything is reinstalled and you'll do that with the front tie rod, you'll have to square you steering wheel again also, do that with the shaft between the boxes on the driverside behind the tire.

Where did you get your tie rod ends? I got mine from CCOT and it came with an extra set of booties. Well they always throw in a freebie, so I didn't think anything of it. After 2000 miles and ALWAYS garaged, the booties ALL CRACKED. So I've now disassembled it and replaced all the booties. But I'm still pissed.
I'd go with the advice you've gotten so far, then include an alignment...'specially if your tires are new(er).
Oh, if you've got one that doesn't want to come out, beat on the side of the female part and it should loosen right up.
GL
Ed :)

Use anti-seeze on all threads, and lots of it!!!

got mine from CCOT damn ill have to throw some sun screen on em them before mine crack :)

Got my tie rod ends from SOR. They weren't cheap, but are great quality. My only suggestions are to hose the tie rod ends down with Liquid Wrench, Kroil, or some kind of penetrating oil for a few days prior to disassembly. I hosed my original TRE's down for a week before I tore into them, and still had to heat up one of the ends to get it to let loose. Rebuilt the center arm, upper drag link (also SOR) and replaced the steering stabilizer at the same time. Made a huge difference. Good luck and take your time. :D

Thanks fellows. I have a puller and I have a hammer in case it gets funky ( : Not real sure about toe in measurements. I have never been real good at the alignment diddy.

Is it worth the extra $$ for the oversized tie rods?

A pickle fork with a air hammer adapter is worth it's weight in gold. You can use it for more than you think.

Juke, unless you're going to do any rock crawling then over size rods won't be worth the cost. As far as toe-in, the amount needs to be between 1/8th and 1/4" at least that's what my owner's manual says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom