Tie Rod End question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this TRE bent? I thought for sure it was when I was pulling it, but then I went to CruiserOutfitters page to order a new set and it seems maybe its supposed to be like this. If so should I replace the set anyways? They seem to be very old but they hold grease fine and haven't had any problems. Thanks for the help.

photo (12).JPG

It's not bent. Looks normal to me. I'm pretty sure there's a ball joint in there and if you try hard enough you can move it around. If yours is stuck, it might be time to replace.

It's not bent. It should move around with some resistance, but essentially move freely. If it doesn't move well, replace them.

It's supposed to swivel. IMHO tie and relay rod ends should be changed at 200,000 miles regardless of condition. Yours are looking tired and the relay rod doesn't look like it's recently been adjusted or lubed.

Steering components are not something to try and 'get by' with. It's not uncommon for the ball on the pitman arm to pop out of the relay rod end, completely disconnecting the steering wheel. It's usually in a parking lot at full travel when the arm's contacting the rod. But still...

Don't buy ends made in China or Taiwan. The threads aren't as long. Joint Fuji is the OEM supplier made in Japan, available for $160 for the set at several of Mud's on-line vendors. I've gotten mine from cruiserparts.net. I also don't recommend the relay rod end repair kit with only new balls and cups. The ends are usually trashed inside and hard to disassemble. Much easier and better to swap the whole thing.

Get it aligned after. You might be surprised how much better your steering is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom