Tie Rod end ... looks weird/too long? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
i am going to be changing my tie rod ends and noticed that the one with a hole (passenger side) seems too big compared to what I have seen online when shopping for a new one. Can someone tell me if this looks odd to you?

I feel like this rod end should be shorter which means the tie rod itself should be longer. I am worried the previous owner put something else on this 67 fj40.

Anyway someone can measure their tie rods for me and not include the ends... just the rod itself?

Thanks!
JV:cheers::beer:
tie rod.jpg

looks about 5 inches shorter than the one on my '68. Mine is 42.5". I don't think it is stock assuming the front axle is.

Also looks like it is in good shape. If it functions properly why not let it be?

looks about 5 inches shorter than the one on my '68. Mine is 42.5". I don't think it is stock assuming the front axle is.

Also looks like it is in good shape. If it functions properly why not let it be?

i would keep em but the steering is wacko. its jerks all over the road. i replaced the center arm which helped it out, but it aint near perfect.

i would keep em but the steering is wacko. its jerks all over the road. i replaced the center arm which helped it out, but it aint near perfect.

Those TRE's look fine, but they don't look OEM Toyota to me (I am not as familier with the earlier stuff, though).

If you're truck is jerking all over the road, check your spring bushings and make sure those are in good shape. Those being worn out seem to cause alot of steering issues.

do you have disc brakes? it looks like you do. My guess is that the knuckles are from an FJ 60,and he just used what he needed to to make it work.

do you have disc brakes? it looks like you do. My guess is that the knuckles are from an FJ 60,and he just used what he needed to to make it work.

I just rebuilt the knuckles and they are from a 79 fj40. i am thinking my tie rods/ends are from a early fj40. might have to replace both the rods and the ends.

i just finished replacing the tie rods/ends on the 1962. i upgraded to the new tre s since they come with rods. the tie rod itself was the larger diameter and required sourcing the larger clamps, but other than that, it all fit well. the rods were longer than my 62 rods were, but the 62 rods left a lot of thread showing, so that made up for stuff. i agree that those rods do look funky. also the relay rod doesn't look fully seated in the tie rod end.

as for the handling, i would check your toe in first. that can easily be screwed up and makes a huge difference. also check wheel bearings and make sure they're snug. from there, if you still have shackles up front, the ruts in the road will yank you, nothing to do about that.

OK< if the knuckles are from a 79, then the TRE's are from that era either a 40 or a 60 series. Either will fit. when you put the 70 knuckles on it also meant, you put on 79 steering arms which in turn uses bigger TRE's. It looks like it came off of a 60 series to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom