Ticking noise after replacing heater tees/hoses (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my heater tees and all six hoses this morning, as I’m at 206k on my 2006 LX and had no evidence they had been replaced. The hoses were a pain in the butt to get off and I had to cut four of them off. The driver side tee broken when I took the hoses off.
CABF05B8-3412-41EB-B209-77E54D7D4C05.jpeg

I got everything out back together and rinsed of the engine with the hose to clean off the little bit off coolant that I didn’t catch with the towels. Topped off the coolant and didn’t find any leaks, but I’m hearing odd ticking sound after the engine is on for a few minutes. I don’t remember it being there before especially since @2001LC looked at it a few weeks ago and didn’t notice any off sounds. Thoughts on what it could be? Is it normal and I’m just being paranoid or could it have something to do with the water I sprayed? Could I have cracked exhaust manifold by leaning on it?

It could just be that you are listening to your engine without the cover on it and picking up on some noises that are otherwise insulated by the cover. I say put the cover back on, close the hood and see if you hear anything different. I just did my T’s today and it feels good to know they are fresh. 220K on my 2004 LC and no evidence the T’s had been changed before.

my 06 sounds similar, but yours seems much louder. I bought a better stethoscope I've just been lazy lately. I'm a little irritated I didn't check the valve shims when I had the covers off around two years ago. Currently waiting for a 70°f day to see what exactly has changed. Mine got louder when the temp dropped below 50°f, but I also changed the drivers side exhaust manifold and it's suspiciously close to that + the SAI air train tubes. A tiny leak on those makes a clicky sort of puffy sound depending on how much of a leak. Also likely the switching valves are making more noise than before.

Maybe my imagination, but sounds louder on driver side where pulsation damper is. 2UZFE all have a subtle fuel rail tick but being louder than you perceived before could be fuel rail noise via a stuck injector, could be pulsation damper (check that the small screw on top is popped up when engine is running- dont touch it or try a phillips driver on it), possibly a manifold leak but that noise should subside once at operating temperature (and 06 isn't widely known for manifold cracking). Would be surprised it were lifter noise unless the oil is very low, wrong weight etc. Stethoscope to isolate where its coming from would be helpful as previously suggested.

I forgot to say the other day when I checked that the valve with the red arrow on mine is seriously loud. The yellow part is quiet. When I disconnected the red part's connector I broke it. Then promptly forgot to stand back and see if the click went away.
That click does echo around a little. I don't know if that part is suppose to be loud or quiet. But it's very loud in a stethascope.
IF someone else could check theirs. I don't want to take it off and clean/inspect it since I don't have a replacement connector yet.
I'm going to do some more checking.

vsv4.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom