Engine click / tick at higher RPMs after exhaust manifold replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
Just had both exhaust manifolds and gaskets replaced on my ‘05 LX. Had a really loud exhaust ticket during most acceleration prior to the repair. Now, it is much quieter except under moderate / hard acceleration- still a click / tick. My guess is the 2UZ is just a clicky / ticky engine- maybe injectors or fuel pulsation damper? I currently have the plastic engine cover removed and maybe that would deaden some of the clicking. It’s a rhythmic click / tick. Engine idles and runs smooth as glass through all RPMs. Anyone have a completely non-clicking / non-ticking 2UZ under moderate / hard acceleration? Or is some click / tick normal under these acceleration conditions? My click / tick kind of reminds me of a 1992 FJ80 3FE that I had…sounds kind of like a sewing machine.

Curious to know what gas are you running

87 oct with up to 10% ethanol- the gold standard crap of the Midwest.
Yeah, I planned on doing that this week. But, my memory was loose spark plug noise could be heard at idle- I don’t have a tick at idle. I’ll report back after checking plugs.

Yea ticking aka pinging is typically associated with the timing, combustion (fuel - including type of fuel, air and spark) and consistent electrical supply to the coil packs.

Check your spark plugs. Might be loose. Check as in now! Look up @2001LC spark plug thread!
It was loose plugs. All but 2 were really loose- maybe 1-2 ft lbs on the digital torque wrench. I retorqued them all to 17 ft lbs (thanks 2001LC).All the coils looked good with no discoloration, except one- which was cracked full length along the seam. Lost my 5/8 socket in the back DS plug tube- that was a lot of lost time. Got everything buttoned up and so much quieter. Now just a very muffled tick at hard acceleration (seems normal). And…SO MUCH MORE POWER!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom