Ticking noise 1VD-FTV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I have had this ticking noise from the engine since I bought the car a year ago.
It is a 2008 LC200 with the diesel V8 and you can hear the ticking from around 3 secs into the video.

Car has approx. 191000 km/118600 miles on the clock.

Any suggestions? Injectors or the normal hydraulic lifters sound?

I also posted some facebook forums, but without any luck!

The link is to YT because I did not succeed on uploading it here!

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Regards, Klas in Sweden.

Get ready for engine rebuild.
Check injectors feedback by techstream

1vd bad engine, they have many problems. Some engines goes to rebuild less than 100K km.

1vd bad engine, they have many problems. Some engines goes to rebuild less than 100K km.
Thank you for the information, but can you be more specific on this sound? Do you have any ideas on what might be causing the ticking noise? I won’t rebuild the engine until I know where the noise is coming from…🙄

Hi Klas,
It's hard to hear in the video - sounds kind of normal to me? Mine makes all sorts of noises depending on whether it's cold or hot, or had a period of short runs or longer trips. 191kkm is nothing BTW.
Is it power down or on the over-run?
Have you checked your injector feedback values cold yet?
Cheers,
Mark :)

Hi Klas,
It's hard to hear in the video - sounds kind of normal to me? Mine makes all sorts of noises depending on whether it's cold or hot, or had a period of short runs or longer trips. 191kkm is nothing BTW.
Is it power down or on the over-run?
Have you checked your injector feedback values cold yet?
Cheers,
Mark :)
Hi and thanks for your reply!😃
I am waiting on a diagnostics tool to check the values, and hoping it would be the injectors!
It’s hard to get it on video, but it is metal-ish sound ticking.

Injectors sometimes compensate for other issues in the VDFTV. Check their values cold as well as hot to verify they appear working spec. Another and more telling test is a compression test. There is a great group on Facebook for 200 series owners. See here:

There are lots of people who know these engines very well who are willing to share info and details and help you.

Injectors sometimes compensate for other issues in the VDFTV. Check their values cold as well as hot to verify they appear working spec. Another and more telling test is a compression test. There is a great group on Facebook for 200 series owners. See here:

There are lots of people who know these engines very well who are willing to share info and details and help you.
Thanks! You wouldn’t happen to know the figures for where it should sit (the injectors that is😂)
The values for the injectors!

The range I understand is +/-3

Do a search on the Facebook page to verify and see what else they suggest you look at. Post the video you have there for them to tell you what the noise is.

I am a little bit more southern than you but same engine (with probably less hp since manual shifting) but yeah that sounds strange to me as well and my engine has like 330kkm on the clock.
I first thought thats the sound of an fuel pump from a aux tank…

I am a little bit more southern than you but same engine (with probably less hp since manual shifting) but yeah that sounds strange to me as well and my engine has like 330kkm on the clock.
I first thought thats the sound of an fuel pump from a aux tank…
That would have been a good thing!😃
I listened to the fuel lines yesterday with a screwdriver. It is a hard nocking/ticking sound on cylinder 3, 4 and 5.
I ”hope” it is only the injectors need replacing…

Cold engine injection feedback values as follows:
#1 -2,34 mm3/st
#2 1,41 mm3/st
#3 -0,47 mm3/st
#4 0,62 mm3/st
#5 -0,78 mm3/st
#6 0,78 mm3/st
#7 -0,47 mm3/st
#8 0,31 mm3/st

Hot engine:
#1 -2,19 mm3/st
#2 1,09 mm3/st
#3 -0,47 mm3/st
#4 1,4 mm3/st
#5 -0,78 mm3/st
#6 -0,31 mm3/st
#7 0,94 mm3/st
#8 0 mm3/st

Or could it be the hydraulic lifters that is faulty?

Any thoughts or guesses are welcome!

Regards, Klas in Sweden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom