Thule or Yakima?? (1 Viewer)

Yakima or Thule

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another vote for Yakima - Plus, their customer service are superb!

Besides, you could play the StarWar kid with the round bars :flipoff2:

20 years of Thule with no complaints. I like the sqare bars better and all the atatchments seem better designed. But its all subjective. Get whatever you can get the best deal on.

I voted Yakima simply because I bent Thule bars before. Never bent Yakima bars.

BTDT :eek:

Total pisser when you try to drive into the garage forgetting you still have the bikes loaded up top :doh:

Can't fault the Thule bars on that score though...

If it's "drive into the garage strong" that's the standard, my father in law drove my brother in law's 80 under a hotel awning with my bikes and my rack atop it. I know that's confusing, but the important part is the building sustained over $15,000 damage, the bikes were totaled, the 80 merely scratched and the Thule rack is still in use to this day. That's tough construction in my book.

DougM

Definately Thule

I've been installing and selling both for years too, and never seen a thule bar bent, fail, or returned for any reason. I have had to replace atleast 3 yakima racks for failure covered under the warranty. Superb customer service, but I personally would not like to have to worry about failure and needing to go through a customer service rep. Thule bars are galvanized on both the interior and exterior of the bar. Yakima only galvanizes on the outside, and while I've never seen this be a point of failure, pull the endcaps off any yakima bar more than a year old, and you'll see a good bit of surface rust on the inside of the bars. Thule boxes open from both sides, and this is a feature Yakima introduced on their boxes after Thule had already been doing it. Thule boxes can also be locked and unlocked from both sides. If you want to buy a bike rack, go with yakima, but for the bars, feet, and any other accessory, definately go with Thule.

Just comparing the load bars between the two brands, the Yakima round bars appear to have thicker wall tubing than the Thule Square tubes. Which design is stronger? FYI, the Yakima bars are made in Mexico and the Thule square bars are made in the USA.

Why not mix & match. I have Yak bars and Thule 1600 box. Works great.:grinpimp:

I bought a Yakima set-up off Craigslist for 65$. Now I just need to find a box for the top. What ever I can get the best deal on is what will work for me!

Sears. Like my brother, it's given great service for many years. It's boxy and swallows vast amounts of gear. I haven't noticed a difference in mileage with it, I expected a big drop. I keep it as far back as I can on my rack, that's supposed to be the best for mileage, and it makes it easy to load standing on the tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom