Throttle Cable not right...(FJ62) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Won't start....

My cruiser will not start. It turns over and everything sounds fine, battery is okay. The gas pedal did not seem quite right, so I checked out the throttle cable inside the hood, and it looks like one of the two cables is really loose. Not sure if it is supposed to be like this. Doesn't seem like it broke, but I can't be sure. Please, any ideas will help. Also can you post of pics of what this area looks like under your hood?

First, how can I check to see if the fuel pump is doing its job?
(check that engine is getting fuel)

What is a good way t see if engine is getting a spark also??

Thanks

-Kiel-
001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG

Last edited:
That lower cable is the kickdown for your tranny. And no it shouldn't be that loose. If you give it a little tug away from the tranny it may be broken

One more
008.JPG

That lower cable is the kickdown for your tranny. And no it shouldn't be that loose. If you give it a little tug away from the tranny it may be broken

I tried to pull it away, and it stayed still...might just be stuck...

*EDIT* I tried pulling the kickdown cable, it pulls out an inch or so, but then springs back in when I let go...

Last edited:
the adjuster nut is all the way out.. won't tighten any more...

Also did you shift in and out of gears then go nuetral start or park??

I tried starting the car in Nuetral. Didn't work so I out it back in Park. able stayed the same, shifted between all gears several times then to park and tried starting one more time just for good measure, nothing. Also the cable is still the same...

OK forget the cable for now. Popped of the coil wire to see if there is spark? If you don't have spark it may be in the nuetral safety.

Nuetral safety switch can be bypassed by doing the following:

turn the key in the "On" position jump the two poles on the starter solenoid. Use a screwdriver to cross the two poles on the starter, If it starts up it probably is the Nuetral Safety, because you just bypassed it. This is a trail side fix and it is quick to eliminate the Nuetral safety. Oh there will be a few sparks when you do this.

EDIT: Since you crank without it is on the other side disregard above

Last edited:
Didn't have a chance to check it yet, had to take a test in math...ugh... When I got back it was dark and like 5*F brrrr... I will check after class tomorrow.

well apparently the battery was dieing....fixed it...the batt was getting low while trying to start it, and I had my roommmate "jump" to charge it a bit, and I decided to try to start it, guess what

it did!

Now to check to see if the 4WD works....

So how about the kickdown cable...that is still extrememly loose...and the adjusters are not going to tighten anymore...any ideas?

Yep broke need to get a new one since that controls your tranny kickdown. Otherwise you will get a funky little shift issue.

Wierd...Cuz I can pull the cable out (engine side)(its tough to pull) but then when I let go, it will spring back in, sometimes fast, sometimes slow....whats up with that?? If it was broke, wouldn't it just pull out all the way? or pull out and not spring back in?

Wierd...Cuz I can pull the cable out (engine side)(its tough to pull) but then when I let go, it will spring back in, sometimes fast, sometimes slow....whats up with that?? If it was broke, wouldn't it just pull out all the way? or pull out and not spring back in?
Replace it it is too stretched out......it cannot be adjusted no more. It happeneds on these old rigs;)

weather more than likely brought this on. Do not buy a used one unless it is from the southwest. Honestly give CDAN a call:beer:

Also, I know shouldn't have but had to, I just took it out to drive around the block, it shifted fine...well about what its seemed to be fine, from 2nd-3rd it shifted at about 2500-2600rpms from 1st-2nd at about 2200rpms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom